Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 11:56:15 AM EDT

Got this from the AJC , have to register to see the story, don't bother.....trust me....will you guys be there??    

Bad weather can't stop Atlanta's Gay Black Pride celebration

By RICHARDL. ELDREDGE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/02/05

Organizers' forecast for Atlanta's ninth annual Gay Black Pride celebration this weekend, expected to draw some 40,000 people from all over the Southeast, remained sunny Thursday, despite Hurricane Katrina and ongoing gas fears.

"We're experiencing minimal cancellations so far," Pride co-chair Zandra Conway said.

The few weather-related cancellations actually helped Pride organizers by freeing up rooms at the event's host hotel, the Sheraton Colony Square in Midtown, that had been sold-out for months. Some attendees were on waiting lists. The nearby Wyndham Garden and Four Seasons hotels are helping to catch the overflow. Blocks of rooms booked by pride organizers at both remained available Thursday.

And while organizers are expecting clear skies overhead this Labor Day weekend, there may be a few claps of thunder at Saturday's pride community luncheon scheduled from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Sheraton.

This year's "Living in Our Pride" theme will focus on celebrating and highlighting the current struggle for equality and empowerment as African-Americans while trying to unify straight and gay African-Americans.

Panelists will include Atlanta City Councilman H. Lamar Willis; Ray Daniels, the director of communications for the National Black Justice Coalition; Victory Church pastor Dr. Ken Samuels; Vallerie Wagner, the chief operating officer of the National Black AIDS Institute; and Daayiee Abdullah, a Sunni Muslim religious scholar from Washington D.C. who describes himself as the capital's "only openly gay imam" — and an opponent of gay marriage.

"We were looking for a Muslim to expand out the luncheon," she explains. "His work is a real testament to courage as well. To self-identify as a homosexual and Muslim, well, you're talking about risking death."

Prior to Saturday's lunch, "Black, Gay and Christian" author Herndon Davis will bring his cable talk show "Herndon Davis Reports" to the Sheraton for a taping.

When Davis asked for a studio audience, Conway initially paused out of consideration for attendees from rural or less tolerant parts of the country.

But so far, more than 40 folks have signed up.

To expand on the event's history of inclusiveness, Conway is encouraging people who had planned on attending the Southern Decadence Labor Day weekend party in New Orleans to attend Atlanta's pride activities .      

"We've always had interracial couples at pride so we'd love it if the Decadence folks want to come. Traditionally, the demographics have been different. But if we see a lot of white gay males out this weekend, we'll know we succeeded. We're all in this together."

The slate of events also includes a candlelight vigil, a fashion show, more panel discussions, nightclub parties and a Labor Day march from the King Center to the State Capitol.

"That's what it's all about," says Conway. "We want everyone to leave feeling empowered."

For a complete list of Black Gay Pride activities: www.inthelifeatl.com, www.wassupnatl.com or 404-872-6410.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Delted
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope. Not even gonna touch this one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This one oughta weed out the crowd in General Discussion...

Heheheeee...!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
What's wrong with black people being happy and proud of it?

Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

"We were looking for a Muslim to expand out the luncheon," she explains. "His work is a real testament to courage as well. To self-identify as a homosexual and Muslim, well, you're talking about risking death."

*Yawn* He should be a muslim, homosexual, communist....transvestite. That would take the cake.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Yawn* He should be a muslim, homosexual, communist....transvestite. That would take the cake.

A gay muslim is about the same as a gay christian or a gay jew.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Add this population to the "Dragon Kahn"(?) crowd and you have an interesting mix.
And I'm going to the Braves game monday. I will have my camera.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard that rumor about the Muslims and homosexual sex, someone once metioned that since they are not allowed to touch women before marriage the men play pitch and catch with each other, just a rumor now....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
It's gonna be a real pain in the ass around Atlanta this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

True story, as told to me by one of my own congresscritters...

Years ago, when Barney Frank decided to "come out," he called in several Dem Congressional leaders to warn them beforehand.  When Frank met with Howell Heflin (former long-time Senator from/embarassment to my beloved 'Bama) and told him that he was going to hold a press conference to announce that he was gay, Heflin heard him out, smiled and nodded, and didn't say anything in response other than something like "Okay.  Best wishes."  Upon leaving Frank's office, Heflin (the epitome of a "good ole boy" gone to DC) turned to the staffer who was with him and asked why in the world a Congressman would feel the need to have a press conference just to tell everyone how happy he was...

Heflin was reportedly both dumbstruck and embarassed when it was explained to him.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Ah, darn I already have plans. Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How is one a happy gay? Isn't that like saying you are a happy, happy person?...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#19]
"And in other news a huge storm is building off the coast of Georgia.  It's predicted to skip off the coast line, enter high altitude then land directly on Atlanta as a catagory 5 hurricane."
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have heard that rumor about the Muslims and homosexual sex, someone once metioned that since they are not allowed to touch women before marriage the men play pitch and catch with each other, just a rumor now....

no but they are quite fond of the goats and camels...

i swear... during the iranian thing i think playboy printed this listing of mullah 'fatwas' about sex with animals and i swear this was true which bones you could use to whipe your butt...

there was one thing i remember about it being forbidden for a muslin to eat an animal he had had sex with...

live and learn...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Why would bad weather stop the festival?  It says right there they are expecting good weather.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no but they are quite fond of the goats and camels...

i swear... during the iranian thing i think playboy printed this listing of mullah 'fatwas' about sex with animals and i swear this was true which bones you could use to whipe your butt...

there was one thing i remember about it being forbidden for a muslin to eat an animal he had had sex with...

live and learn...

I thought they were s'possed to eat what they "shoot" ????
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Bigheadcal, that pic is the foshizzle!!

Wonder if that chapter will be represented at the "festival"?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Umm, I'm cleaning the lint out of my belly button that day...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

We should call up the Black Fraternities and some hard-core thug gangsters in the Atlanta area. They'll beat those queers senseless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#28]
This would give a new meaning to the term "Fudge Packer".
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#29]
 Sounds like a great place to bring the wife and kiddies  ...on second thought do you think it counts as a "public gathering" under GA law?  

Count me out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I am sure some of the participants will be "packing" in one fashion or another.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Gas priced won't stop them, they already got their shit packed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A gay muslim is about the same as a gay christian or a gay jew.

Not really. Gay Christains have MANY "organized" churches I'm aware of. Some are "mainstream" churches who are "accepting of" gays While others are "gay" but are "accepting of" straight folks.  And  AFAIK, there are NO "Gay Muslim Mosques".

JUST in COLUMBUS OHIO (area) these are the ones I'm AWARE OF:
1. All Believers Community Church
King Avenue  New Horizons Land Title  Columbus, Ohio  43230  God shows no partiality, neither do we. We are saved by grace through faith, a FREE gift from God for ALL people. Mostly gay, mostly adult, trying to build diversity, custom-designed GLBT weddings. EVERYONE welcome.

2. Broad Street Presbyterian Church
Broad Street Presbyterian Church welcomes everyone to worship, classes, and activities whenever we are gathered. Together we worship and serve God. Sundays: 9:45am education hour; 11:00am worship. Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.

3. Broad Street United Methodist Church
E. Broad St.  Columbus, Ohio  43215 Broad Street is a lively, diverse United Methodist congregation in the heart of the city which welcomes glbt people. A number of lesbian, bisexual, and gay people are active in leadership and many areas of community life.

4. Calvary Lutheran Church

5. Dignity Greater Columbus (Catholic "alternative" church for gays, straights welcome)

6. Community of St. John, Free Catholic Church
(Free as in "free" of the Pope's BS) Services to be held every Sunday at 11:00 a.m. at Club Diversity. Fellowship to follow. All people are invited to celebrate the Eucharist. No one is considered an outcast regardless of sexual orientation, marital status, or race.

7. Dublin UU Church
GLB Friendly congregation with a lesbian minister who is available for union ceremoniesOut

8. First Baptist, Granville
GLBT Spirituality Class: Sunday 9:45a.m. A liberation theology study of scripture from a GLBT perspective Worship: 11a.m. with Dr. George Williamson, Rev. Gail Clark Adams GLBT lunches together afterward

9. First Congregational Church (United Church of Christ)
Sunday Worship Service. We have a 6PM Wednesday evening bible study. We affirm unity amid our diversity.

10. First English Evangelical Lutheran

11. First Unitarian Universalist Church
Unitarian Universalist Church extends a warm welcome to all!

12. King Avenue UMC

13. Lanb of God Anglican Church

14. Master's Commission New Covenant Church
Open and affirming Christian church. We want everyone to know that God loves them, especially the GLBT community. We offer worship, a healing ministry, Bible study, and activities. Sunday worship is at 11am

15. New Creation M.C.C. (Metropolitan Community Church - gay church)
A Christian congregation providing a church home to all who seek to integrate their sexuality and spirituality.

16. North Congregational United Church of Christ
Henderson Rd  Columbus, OH  43220-2402

17. Spirit of The Rivers Ecumenical Community (is "Ecumenical" Christian???)

18. St Francis of Assisi Catholic Parish
A wholly supportive Catholic parish for all those who want to attend.

19. St. Mark Lutheran Church

20. St. Paul's Episcopal Church

21. St. Sebastian Catholic Parish
We are a open and affirming Parish of the Reformed Catholic Church. In keeping with the spirit and intent of Vatican Council II, we offer a progressive interpretation of the Roman Catholic Tradition. Sunday Mass @ 5pm

22. Summit United Methodist Church

23. Unity Church of Christianity
Maize Rd  Columbus, OH  43224-1953 Non-Denominational - Sundays, 9:00 and 11:00a.m.

Probably (if not DEEFINITIVELY Jewish Temples)

Chosen Vessels (I'm not REAL familiar w/these folks, but MAY well be Jewish Temople, so NOT "Christian" probably, but maybe).

Congregation Beth Tikvah - Definitely Jewish, as I attended a service there.

Also was 2 Pagan and 2 Buddist... whatever they call themselves (groups)Probably not "church" maybe "temple or something???

BUT, only saw ONE group that MIGHT, POSSIBLY be Muslim... maybe. (Who knows, didn't say yea, didn't say nay - but kinda sounded possible, like the "Chosen Vessels" group SOUNDED/felt "Jewish" might be mistaken.)

Quoted:

Quoted:

We should call up the Black Fraternities and some hard-core thug gangsters in the Atlanta area. They'll beat those queers senseless.

Umm, I DO believe it would DEFINITELY be the OTHER way `round, why? Columbus, is #4 in "gay population", Atlanta is #3(#3 is Seattle, WA) #5, COLUMBUS has 23 churches who "accept" us, EVERY church I've been to have been BIG congregations w/at LEAST 50% queers... our parade was over 10,000 (black and white - granted) but there are a LOT of African Americans in GA, GENERALLY speaking. Plus FL (not all THAT far away) has 3 PP Chapters, and Atlanta has it's OWN. So call `em them (basher) boys might JUST get QUITE the education! (in more ways than 1!) )
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#33]
As long as they don't eat each other all should go well.
matthew
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#34]
BTT because I'm just sick like that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in Morocco.  They are very ninteen fiftyish in there sexual mores.  No sex before marriage, even for guys.  All my wives cousins (guys) are virgins or were virgins when they married.  So was my wife.

lol....what you hear about Morocco and what you see there for yourself are most often complete opposites
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in Morocco.  They are very ninteen fiftyish in there sexual mores.  No sex before marriage, even for guys.  All my wives cousins (guys) are virgins or were virgins when they married.  So was my wife.

lol....what you hear about Morocco and what you see there for yourself are most often complete opposites

"What happens in Morocco STAYS in Morocco!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Assless leather chaps.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top