Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 11:15:48 AM EDT
Maybe it's just me but I expect NO help in the event of a major crisis.  I expect that the gov. has bigger fish to fry for one.  In the case of New Orleans, or an earthquake or whatever, government response is all about systemic kinds of things rather than individual kinds of things.  Just the way the world works.  And it's easy to be prepared.  Since way before 911, I keep my backback filled with what I would need to get along for a few days and protect myself including a water filter, basic med kit and so on.  Just what you would take on backpacking trip.  I own the stuff already, why not keep it in the pack where I can grab it if for some reason I have to leave in a hurry?  You never know.  And at home?  10 gallons of fresh water, canned food,  a campstove, candles, batteries and so on.  No, not a warehouse full but a weeks worth of goodies.  Plenty of guns & ammo too, although if I even got in a mag change during a disaster it would indicate something was really amiss.  And FWIW, I wouldn't live in a flood plain or some other unusually disaster prone area although I know some people have no choice.  Almost any contingency can be planned for though and I don't think it's all that tough.  Heck, poor people the world over survive in harsh conditions daily with MUCH less than we get along on.  What has happened to the idea that you take care of yourself?  My parents always kept food, water, alternate means of heat, defensive items and so on.  Neither were survivalists but both were survivors.  Both had been through wars and the depression and understood that you can easily be on your own and it's your responsibility to figure it out, at least for awhile...  Ok, rant off.  I expect lots of folks here feel the same way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#1]
It's the "Sheeple Syndrome" at work. Generations of people raised to think they are "entitled" to a safe, happy, comfortable life, without having to exert themselves or run any risks.

Most of them are horrified to learn that not even the "Government" they depend on to provide all the necessities of life can guarantee their safety in time of catastrophe. The spirit of self-reliance that built this nation has been replaced by a dependence on government paternalism.....

If most of them could read and comprehend anything more complicated than comic strips, they could educate themselves on what to do to survive. There is no shortage of material on how to prepare for either natural or man-made disasters out there, but there is apparently a terrible shortage of interest in learning how to do for themselves......
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Blah Blah Blah Blah f***ing Blah.

1000000 people displaced.  Need to get them taken care of.  How complicated is that?

you can take your self reliance and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  If it were your family, your 'provisions' were washed away/stolen/burned/exhausted, you'd want help.  You'd expect the most powerful country in the world to get it to you, since it was a regional disaster only.  It would happen.  You'd be grateful... probably cry.

Jesus F***king christ.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

1000000 people displaced.  Need to get them taken care of.  How complicated is that?

you can take your self reliance and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  If it were your family, your 'provisions' were washed away/stolen/burned/exhausted, you'd want help.  You'd expect the most powerful country in the world to get it to you, since it was a regional disaster only.  It would happen.  You'd be grateful... probably cry.

Jesus F***king christ.

+1 on this crap.  Do you carry your magic pack 24/7?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Just now realized this?    Welcome to the Wake Up.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Jesus F***king christ.

More Blah Blah Fucking Blah, 1000000 people displaced, and the only thing most can do is whine and bitch cause noone is doing for them!  Get out and do SOMETHING to help your sittuation rather than wait for Uncle Sugar to make it all nicey nice again!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Jesus F***king christ.

I expect about as much from FEMA as I do from Social Security.  i.e. not a fricking thing.

I will prepare for all the contingencies I can.  Clearly, without a doubt, after this "expecting" help from any governmental agency is an exercise in self delusion.

It has become clear to me in the last several days that state governments are TOTALLY useless.  I already suspected that the federal government was MOSTLY useless (particularly where time is of the essence).

It has become equally clear to me that the "entitlement culture" that we are suddenly seeing is way out of hand, and has become, literally, dangerous.

Caring for 1,000,000 displaced citizens (apparently the congressional black caucus has complained about using the term refugee- and no, I am not kidding, read it on cnn.com) would be a hell of a lot easier if even 25% of them made the most basic of preperation efforts.  Of course, that did not happen.  The more people who expect the government to help them (get a job, provide them with narcotics, feed them, clothe them, transport them, shelter them, etc. etc. etc.) the less able government is to do ANYTHING.

I have entirely run out of sympathy for the citizens who have ALLOWED themselves to be stuck in huddling, armed, violent masses because they did not prepare.  Citizens who force us to wonder if we should declare a state of emergency and have troops walking the streets.  In some cases I can see people being inadvertantly stuck who were, nonetheless, mostly prepared and have gotten a bad roll of the dice.  But THESE are the people we should be helped, not the sheeple who, when faced with looting as a last means to survive, loot a case of Heinekin.

I am increasingly pissed that my tax dollars are being spent to subsidize non-preparedness.  To subsidize stupidity.  The smart but merely unlucky are paying the price since they are outnumbered 50:1 by the stupid and lazy.

Shoot at helos and then complain that people don't want to save you?  I hope you die of dissentary.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you can take your self reliance and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  If it were your family, your 'provisions' were washed away

I wouldn't have been stupid enough to stay in the path of a cat 5 hurricane - particularly if I live BELOW sea level..

/stolen

Umm some of us are smart enough to be well armed and well trained.  They ain't stealing from me..

/burned/

Umm I'll shoot the people with the moltov's LONG before they get in range.  And I have plenty of fire extinguisers for everything else.

exhausted,

Hmm if you were prepared you wouldn't be so tired.

Preparedness, it's not just for SHTF - it's a way of life.

You'd expect the most powerful country in the world to get it to you, since it was a regional disaster only.  

I'd EXPECT nothing!  I have NO RIGHT to anything, though I'd be very greatful if somebody did provide assistance.  Unlike some of those ungreatful asshats on TV complaining about MREs and bottles of water (sorry we didn't bring Iced Tea or Coke...).

'Regionl disaster only'  Isn't that like saying "It's only Cancer", sure you can deal with it, but it will take time, talent and resources - nothing will happen overnight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't want to sound like an asshole but....

If you could walk away from NO, why not?  They are obviously DRIVING busses, trucks, cars, etc. into the area and have been for the last several days.  Why not just start using your legs and feet and start walking if you could?

I understand that some can't, that some are physically exhausted, that some are having breakdowns.  Still, it appears to me that if you can rob, rape, shoot, scream, bitch, complain that you could start walking and do all of that while heading west on I10.  

How far west is the devistation from Katrina?  How far do they have to walk to get to a place that has water, food, supplies, etc.?

Maybe I don't know the facts and I am all wrong but I just can't keep but asking why stand around and get possibly dead when I can move and get to a better place?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Jesus F***king christ.

Oh bullshit Jimmy.  Anyone who lives 10 feet BELOW sea level intentionally is  a friggin' idiot.  Especially since they live on the OCEAN where 'canes are a regular occurrence.  Had the refugees taken the time to fill a couple of old milk bottles with TAP WATER prior to the hurricane, they'd not be dying of thirst in a stadium with no roof, no power, and 25,000 other people who were too STUPID to leave when told to do so!

Sit down, stfu, and let Darwin dohis thing.

Ops
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's say that every single one of these people lost everything except for the clothes on their backs and whatever they could carry plus their pockets.  

Why stand at the Stuperdome if you could move?  

I have a wife and two kids.  Believe me if we could move on our own power we would.  No water where we are; then move to a location with it.  

Don't have insurance papers with you?  Maybe you can remember the name of the company and call them about some of your losses.  Bank account information, etc, some of that should be ingrained in your head.

Listen, I know some people cannot do a damn thing because of their physical condition.  I know some are beat to death from sitting on a hot roof top for days.  I would gladly start using the shoe leather express to motivate myself and my family out of the area while more needy people take my place on the ground, on a cot, or on a bus.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, sorry there is a dupe running...

I'm not saying I'm invincible with my "magic pack" (Jeez, could you be more insulting?).  Just saying that if everyone prepared, even a little, then these type of disasters could be seriously mitigated.  Yeah, it would great if the government could respond on an individual level and if I lost everything, I might hope for the best.  Just not counting on it.  Again, if preparedness is part of game everyone is in a position to offer help to those who lost everything.  I know that if I lived in an area prone to flooding, I'd at least have a cheap inflatable life boat, maybe a wetsuit and some kind of flotation device.  I'd probably keep the flotation device in my car even.  Just like having water handy when you cross the desert.  Maybe you'll be fine but you might run across someone else who needs it.  if you have winter, figure out some other way to stay warm if the power fails.  Just look around and figure out what the biggest problem might be and prepare for it.

I've been through a major earthquake and it was astonishing how unprepared most people were.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top