Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 10:14:48 AM EDT
Their first hand accounts of the conditions there are incredible.  Sounds like something from Dante's Inferno.  Two of them had terribly infected feet from walking barefoot in the contaminated water in the streets and in the dome.

Local pharmacies (Walgreens, HEB) are filling prescriptions for those who don't require hospitalization.  FEMA and NDMS are picking up the tab.  AMR (nationwide ambulance company) is providing transportation back to Kelly AFB for those who don't need to be hospitalized.

One gal is 36 who had cardiac bypass surgery at Charity.  Her sternal wound is infected.

She'll be admitted for a few days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]
We just received word of 40 patients headed our way.  A plane with 150 landed at 1400 CDT.  No idea of the acuity.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow...sounds like you're in for a lot of work.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]
3 more planes with 450 on board landed a half hour ago.  We're seeing everything from women in labor, to uncontrolled hypertension (no meds for 4-5 days), to asthma, to congestive heart failure.

Hats off to the personnel at the staging area, primarily military.  They have screened close to 2000 so far, and the majority have not required transfer to hospitals.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
3 more planes with 450 on board landed a half hour ago.  We're seeing everything from women in labor, to uncontrolled hypertension (no meds for 4-5 days), to asthma, to congestive heart failure.

Hats off to the personnel at the staging area, primarily military.  They have screened close to 2000 so far, and the majority have not required transfer to hospitals.

Man, that sucks. Best of luck to you and all the others busting their asses to help these folks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Their first hand accounts of the conditions there are incredible.  Sounds like something from Dante's Inferno.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It sounds like you have your hands full.  My prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
All but a few have been pleasant and gracious.  It is humbling to take care of them, and I consider it a privilege.

The others have been demanding and belligerent.  They are the ones who say they are out of their methadone and need/want more.

We hear the the SICK ones will be landing after midnight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
God Bless You - astro
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
God Bless You - astro

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
God Bless You - astro

+1

+2

thanks Astro
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It sounds like you have your hands full.  My prayers are with you.

+1.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]
God bless you and God bless the innocent victims.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#14]
[democrat] But they ARE people too.
They just have a "different" kind of disease.
They should be put in the rotation for medical care.
Someone with a heart condition needs to go first of course, but infected chest stents can wait a few more days.
Those poor souls need their injection now. [/democrat]

Fuck'em, I say give them one more really "good" injection and send them on their way.

Quoted:
The others have been demanding and belligerent.  They are the ones who say they are out of their methadone and need/want more.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
A local National Guard medical unit here in the SF Bay Area has just been mobilized.  They'll be in New Orleans next week.  Good luck to all our members who are in the NO area and to those who are assisting our fellow citizens in need.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#16]
The night got more and more busy.  We're about half way through the first wave of evacuees.  We still expect a few hundred more who will need inpatient care.  They are being distributed on a rotating basis to about 10 different hospitals.  Wilford Hall (USAF) has taken the lion's share of the sick ones, since it is adjacent to the staging area.

I responded to an IM this morning and want to pass along a request for those who would like to help.  The Red Cross needs cash.  Anyone looking for a way to help, sending money directly to the Red Cross is the best way to do it.  100% goes to the relief effort.

These folks are generally very quiet and introspective.  We take care of their immediate needs and give them something to eat and drink.  They sit there in the hallway or on the gurney and generally stare at the floor.  What the future holds for them is in God's hands, and the way I see it, those hands are ours--all of ours.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
[democrat] But they ARE people too.
They just have a "different" kind of disease.
They should be put in the rotation for medical care.
Someone with a heart condition needs to go first of course, but infected chest stents can wait a few more days.
Those poor souls need their injection now. [/democrat]

Fuck'em, I say give them one more really "good" injection and send them on their way.

Quoted:

Fortunately, opiate withdrawal is miserable, but harmless.  They are essentially out of luck.  

A few days of cold turkey, and they'll be as good as new!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Keep up the good work Doc, I wish I could be there to help out...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
All but a few have been pleasant and gracious.  It is humbling to take care of them, and I consider it a privilege.

We hear the the SICK ones will be landing after midnight.

In a barrel of apples you're bound to find a few rotten ones!

There are a lot of good people out there that just fell down on their luck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
God bless you and God bless the innocent victims.

+1

Stay safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top