Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:02:23 AM EDT
Is there any video or pictures of the levee caving?

I have heard some speculation on this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it broke in the middle of the night.  Hard to see to get pics or video.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I think this is going to be the critical issue after an investigation is done. We will discover how the local/state govt has neglected the levee despite the warnings of various environmental and civil engineers for probably decades that maintenance was long overdue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Well the levee was designed to protect from Cat 3 storms...this was Cat 4, almost 5
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well the levee was designed to protect from Cat 3 storms...this was Cat 4, almost 5

The levee was flippin' 25 feet at it's highest, and that was on the river side, in NO.

The levee near my house back home on the Susquehanna (Wilkes-Barre, PA) is around 40 feet.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it broke in the middle of the night.  Hard to see to get pics or video.

Yes, I happened in the very early morning in total darkness. I just saw the announcement on CNN at 0200PST. Since there was zero power, video of this break is probably not available.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#6]
On Fox this morning a former LA Senator was asked point blank who prevented the levee from being fixed (the Fox guy indicated that Congress had OK the funding, but it seemed to be insinuated that the job was not done dispite the positive action by Congress).  The former Senator dodged the question, something about "not wanting to point fingers", although in closing he said that the "environmental community" had blocked the levee project.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The fact of the matter is that nature has a nasty habit of breaking things that impede large natural forces, like the flow of the Mississippi.  No matter how well you design the levee, there is the possibility that it will be breached.  If you build them higher, the breach will be more catastrophic.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Ask the AL-Qaeda cell based in NO how the levees broke.

Damnit. Someone used my hat to cover the leftovers.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't trust dykes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top