Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 9:44:45 AM EDT
I'm living/working in Kuwait these days...

One of the places I work at is Camp Virginia, which is the processing center for non-U.S. coalition forces heading into/returning from Iraq. Consequently I see members of military forces from around the World(Romanian, Bulgarian, and Polish women...WOW! ).

Anyhow, I've been seeing quite a few Austrailian soldiers and have noticed that they're carrying the Steyer AUG these days...so I decided to ask a group of them outside the DFAC about the AUG.

"So, how do you like the Steyer?", I asked.

One of the senior guys spoke up, "Oh, they're alright, mate...but I'd rather have one of the old L1A1's(FAL). That's a great piece of kit, a real man's rifle, you know?..."

And there you have it...

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn skippy.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
lol

Seems I hear the same thing about some rifle called the M14 as well.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Irish old-timers say the same thing about the FAL/AUG change, the British old-timers say the same thing about the FAL/L85 change (though until the A2 came out, they would have had a point), the Americans said the same thing about the M14/M16.. actually, and the .45/9mm...

Come to think of it, anything 'new-fangled' is treated with suspiscion unless you have a positive reason to dislike the old thing.

NTM
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#4]
sgtstinger,
Having fun over there yet?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
sgtstinger,
Having fun over there yet?

Dude, don't get me started on what a shit-hole this place is...the novelty has most definately worn off...

8 months and counting...I already have a good job waiting for me when I get home, though.

I can also say, however, that I am an Official Charter Member of "Non-Alcoholics Anonymous"...yep, I'll never touch another non-alcoholic "near beer" as long as I live...that shit just ain't right...Yecccchhhh!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
and Polish women...WOW!

Pics! Pics! Pics!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can also say, however, that I am an Official Charter Member of "Non-Alcoholics Anonymous"...yep, I'll never touch another non-alcoholic "near beer" as long as I live...that shit just ain't right...Yecccchhhh!

Next time I'm having a cold one, I'll tip one back for you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and Polish women...WOW!

Pics! Pics! Pics!

Sorry, don't have any...

But trust me, there's something about a hot chick in uniform carrying an AK...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The FAL/L1A1 is loved by all who used it for very good reason… utter dependability and 'soldier proof' build.

We,the British, would have been better served replacing the  FAL/L1A1 with the FNC……

ANdy

The L1A1 is alright..but in terms of reliability and accuracy it is nothing compared to a Lee Enfield
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sorry, don't have any... But trust me, there's something about a hot chick in uniform carrying an AK

Oh, I see! Tease us some more, heh!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The FAL/L1A1 is loved by all who used it for very good reason… utter dependability and 'soldier proof' build.

We,the British, would have been better served replacing the  FAL/L1A1 with the FNC……

ANdy

A big roger on that one man. The FNC was an excellent design that continued the excellence of the FAL. Plus, it actually looked like a gun!  The Steyr Aug and L-85 are fugly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

The L1A1 is alright..but in terms of reliability and accuracy it is nothing compared to a Lee Enfield

Yeah, once you've had a magazine follower/bolt hold open jam on a FAL, you lose a lot of respect for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, don't have any... But trust me, there's something about a hot chick in uniform carrying an AK

Oh, I see! Tease us some more, heh!

OK, OK...you win...

Next time I see some good looking females in uniform, I will try to get some pictures and post them here...

As long as "the powers that be" don't mess with me for a BOTD violation...

There are some cute Korean girls on camp these days, now that I think about it...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ANdy

Wrong answer. M16!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

ANdy

The Israeis hated the Fal, and they made it?  Educate me?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
and Polish women...WOW!

Pics! Pics! Pics!

Sorry, don't have any...

THANK YOU!

no one ever believes me when i say polish women are HOT!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ANdy

Hey. isn't that the gun Al Pacino used in Heat?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
and Polish women...WOW!

Pics! Pics! Pics!

Sorry, don't have any...

THANK YOU!

no one ever believes me when i say polish women are HOT!!!

I believe you, trust me...  I just need to learn Polish.  And Hungarian.  And Czech.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

The Israelis also designed and made the Galil and had no time for that either… now the Israelis use M4's and M-16's…

They claimed the FAL was sensitive to sand, but the British and Australians used it in sand also without any problems…

Andy

Love those older rifles. What ever happened to the Brit's Fals afters they were de-commisioned?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#25]
did izzy's have sand cuts on the bolt carrier?  I know my C1A1 parts rifle does.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

The Israelis also designed and made the Galil and had no time for that either… now the Israelis use M4's and M-16's…

They claimed the FAL was sensitive to sand, but the British and Australians used it in sand also without any problems…

Andy

Love those older rifles. What ever happened to the Brit's Fals afters they were de-commisioned?

Many were sold abroad, others are kept as reserve stocks… one dealer here still has brand new in grease  L1A1's he is exporting…

ANdy

Parts kits here in the USA? C'mon over andy, we'll save one for ya! It'll be just like home!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Andy

Many were sold abroad, others are kept as reserve stocks… one dealer here still has brand new in grease  L1A1's he is exporting…

ANdy

Exporting where?  The US?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top