Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:50:04 AM EDT
And why, why not?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I should have last week when gas was 2.44 but i didn't  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I put another 10 Gal. in the emergency stash. Why? In case of an emergency, duh!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I needed to refill my stock after I burned it in my Jet Ski. Got in before the hike.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I put another 10 Gal. in the emergency stash. Why? In case of an emergency, duh!

Yep.  For me it's not to beat the next price increase.  It's in case I need gas and can't get it.
I don't like living hand to mouth, whether it's paychecks/money, food or gasoline.  I like to have a little stash.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I want enough gas in cans to fill my truck's gas tank once.  Basically, I want enough to get me out of an emergency area without having to stop anywhere and run into the danger of empty pumps, massive prices, carjackings, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I filled up 6 cans but their all going to Mississippi.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't. It's a fire hazard where I live and I don't have anywhere to store it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I did,  But that is just because I'm heading out of towm to go riding quads and go shooting.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I filled up my bathtub as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#10]
My friend filled up the 18 gallon I think tank in his van to use as backup (he has a vw rabbit) plus one of my 5 gallon tanks. We stick together 'round here; if one of us runs out, its not a problem. I just equipped my mother and 2 of my friends in town w/ frs radios as well....we'll keep it "locked down" as it were if some sort of rioting loike NO sprread this far.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I've only got like 25 extra gallons at home, both vehicles pretty filled (I will haven driven 60 miles by the time I get home from work).

Editied to add - you don't even want to know how much that cost.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I filled up (6) 5 gallon cans yesterday evening.  While I was doing it, the owner of the station came over to me and asked if he could buy a couple of the cans!  I was expecting him to get in my shit for hoarding but he told me that he had tried to get some cans for himself, but couldn't find any.  I didn't sell him any.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Good move.  Just don't fill the toilet.  Someone could end up being a flaming asshole that way (you did mean with gas, right?).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes, I filled up (6) 5 gallon cans yesterday evening.  While I was doing it, the owner of the station came over to me and asked if he could buy a couple of the cans!  I was expecting him to get in my shit for hoarding but he told me that he had tried to get some cans for himself, but couldn't find any.  I didn't sell him any.

Damn...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I filled up the one 5 gallon can I have, and have 3 more ordered and on the way.  Here in CA I suspect there will be a shortage eventually, so better to have it and not need it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I didn't.  The clutch quit in my van four years ago, and I haven't had the money to fix it.  At times like this I'm glad I don't have a working car.z
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I guess I really don't see the point.  

When you talk about gas cans, you're talking about 2, maybe 5 gallons?  Even if you had ten of them, that's maybe a tank full.  So, you can drive 8 more hours than someone else?  In a SHTF senario, that's not going to save you from anything.  Everyone else will be out of gas, too.

I keep my truck over half full most of the time, so I could get out of/away from the city if I had too.  But after that, I would be on my own just like everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

When you talk about gas cans, you're talking about 2, maybe 5 gallons?  Even if you had ten of them, that's maybe a tank full.  So, you can drive 8 more hours than someone else?  In a SHTF senario, that's not going to save you from anything.  Everyone else will be out of gas, too.

I keep my truck over half full most of the time, so I could get out of/away from the city if I had too.  But after that, I would be on my own just like everyone else.

Well, unless it gets you somewhere safer.  Like a friend or relative in a rural location or possibly even a well stocked bug-out location.  That's kind of the idea, for me anyway.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep, I keep enough gas cans around to get me to the family ranch in Texarkana; about 580 miles away.

They are kept full.  I don't wait for a hurricane to strike before I go out and attempt to find gas.

Plenty of food/fuel/ammo = peace of mind
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep a minimum of 30 gallons until the end of hurricane season (right now I have 60). Come November, I start dumping it in the trucks. Next June I start another stash.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Took me a while to find gas cans but I finally did at a John Deere store.

I can last two weeks on a tank of gas so I have 1 tankful as a reserve which means I'm good for a month right now.
I figure any probems with supply now are due partly to guys like us stocking up. In a little while this should cure itself, supply lines will get more or less straightened out and the gas supply will be more reliable. A spare tankful of gas should be enough to get me through IF I even need it.
I honestly dont expect to have to use it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought an extra 10 gal in the evening of Wednesday.  All I have to do is have enough to survive and stay away from the violence should any happen.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Took me a while to find gas cans but I finally did at a John Deere store.

I can last two weeks on a tank of gas so I have 1 tankful as a reserve which means I'm good for a month right now.
I figure any probems with supply now are due partly to guys like us stocking up. In a little while this should cure itself, supply lines will get more or less straightened out and the gas supply will be more reliable. A spare tankful of gas should be enough to get me through IF I even need it.
I honestly dont expect to have to use it.

+1 on all of it.  In a pinch, I could go at least a month, just to get over any temporary bumps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#24]
And then I gave it to my dad since I used up all his gas last month riding ATV's in the era of cheap gasoline.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't, but I needed to top off my generator fuel anyway. I still have one 5-gal jug empty.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Lawn Mower needed refueling
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

With Gasoline?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump.

Come on, more votes.  It's good to see so many of you trying to be prepared.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Saved  few dollars.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Last night I filled up the truck and got 25 gallons of gas in gas cans. I should be good for a month...not like anyone up here is panicking anyways.

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Just finished filling up the F150 and 3 extra cans.  Cost almost 120 bucks here with gas at my local station being only 3.19 a gallon.  Why?  Why not?  It will get used regardless of what happens in the not so distant future.  On a side note I also filled any and ALL mags I have lying around.  I guess Im in the mood to fill things anyone wanna play drop the soap????????  ROFLMAO  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I didn't. Because I'm a fliping moron.

I was up to my ears in preparedness during y2k....but got bogged down in job searching lately and wasn't paying attention.

All my fault.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Nope
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Funny, I actually did order a few Israeli gas cans before all this happened.  Haven't filled them up yet, but I will.  I hate running to the gas station when the mower is empty.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Filled the Expedition, figured this is a good time to rotate so filled the gas cans up (25 gallons), bought a 5 gallon diesel can and filled it and filled up the Jetta.
Even the clerk say "Whoa" when she rang up my tab.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I don't think you understand that the cans that are being talked about are 5-6 gal. cans.  Three cans will fill my truck and get me another 320 miles so that would take my total trip to 640 miles that seems more important than you make it out to be.

I had been meaning to get some gas stored up and had just not done it yet.  Well on Tuesday Kat was hitting Columbus hard with 3-4" of rain and the media hype had not hit just yet so I went and got (3) 6 gal. tanks and topped off my truck and filled the tanks.  Is it crazy, who knows but it makes me feel better and that is all I care about.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I have an agreement undocumented arrangement with a couple rabid Million Mommers in my neighborhood: They store my SHTF gas, and I store their SHTF guns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine are ALWAYS full.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Funny, I actually did order a few Israeli gas cans before all this happened.  Haven't filled them up yet, but I will.  I hate running to the gas station when the mower is empty.

I have 6 6gal cans...I have a VERY large lawn

I just got a new truck in June..I let the locking gas cap go with my trade-in.. Guess it's off to Pep Boys as well.. Gotta keep sticky fingers off my ride!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#43]
no
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I filled all my shit last week. Trip wires installed around property.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got a one gallon gas can, two Wranglers, a Ram and three motorcycles.  It seemed a little pointless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Yup.  I filled all the spare cans I could find in the garage and put 31 1/3 gallons into them at $3.19 a gallon.  $100.01 total.  My pickup is full and I've been filling my Jeep every day a few gallons at a time so I don't get caught without a full tank.  

-K
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Here in MS the governor has requested that all gas stations stop allowing people to fill up gas cans or anything else other than their actual vehicle, and so far pretty much all the stations are complying.  Couldn't find any stations allowing people to fill up gas cans today, so by default I'm a "no."
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Here in MS the governor has requested that all gas stations stop allowing people to fill up gas cans or anything else other than their actual vehicle, and so far pretty much all the stations are complying.  Couldn't find any stations allowing people to fill up gas cans today, so by default I'm a "no."

BFD - I'll just go home, siphon the gas into cans, return to another station and refill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

there goes the lawn and garden biz.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I always keep an extra 25-50 gallons on hand.  Have been for years now....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top