Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:10:25 AM EDT
I was watching Fox, and the reporter said he heared a pistol shot, then a bunch of cops with AR's ran in that direction, then some squad cars, then a Pickup, and as the reporter looked at it he said there appeared to be a MOUNTED automatic weapon, I looked closely, and sure enough there was what appeared to be a pedestal mount in the back, I couldn't quite make out what it was because it was on a video phone, but it kindof looked like a 1919....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It's probably an M60. Most large PD's have a few of them in inventory, even some small ones have them. The university PD had 1 when I was in college. I imagine all those jokes they used to toss around about never having a use for the thing aren't so funny anymore.

Earlier they showed a shot of what looked like a SWAT APC driving thru the streets with a slew of armed officers on top.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Many of your major metro Departments have some kind of belt-fed kicking around in the Armory, somehwere. It wasn't uncommon in the "good old days of unmilitarized police" for PDs to routinely deploy their belt-fed machine guns on standoffs and barricades, well in the days before SWAT Teams were formed. I also imagine that NOPD got a few somewhere after the 1974 sniper incident they had.

Frankly, if my agency needed a belt-fed, we'd probably borrrow them from local dealers (I can think of a few M1919A4s and MG34s off the top of my head). That could well be what happened here, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Many of your major metro Departments have some kind of belt-fed kicking around in the Armory, somehwere. It wasn't uncommon in the "good old days of unmilitarized police" for PDs to routinely deploy their belt-fed machine guns on standoffs and barricades, well in the days before SWAT Teams were formed. I also imagine that NOPD got a few somewhere after the 1974 sniper incident they had.

Frankly, if my agency needed a belt-fed, we'd probably borrrow them from local dealers (I can think of a few M1919A4s and MG34s off the top of my head). That could well be what happened here, too.

When I was down at the Gulf Coast on a buisness trip, I visited a Mississippi gun store. They had several MG-34s in stock, as well as other full autos.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately they probably aren't allowed to use that thing like its meant to be used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top