Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 7:51:14 AM EDT
I just had my chimney and woodstove inspected and learned that the system wasn't installed to code. Just want to check with the Arfcom Hive Mind to be sure that the problem and solution that this guy is offering me is on the up and up and not just someone taking advantage of someone that doesn't know any better.

The setup:

My chimney has a full stainless steel liner that was installed when the prior owners were in the process of selling the place. The original tile liner was damaged and in need of replacement, this was all determined and confirmed during the inspection before we bought the place. One of the things we'd asked the [home] inspector at the time was if the chimney was suitable for a wood burning stove, he said "Sure no problem".

So last Fall (after 3 winters of going "Damn I wish we had a woodstove") we finally ponied up the dough and bought a woodburning insert (Regency). The guys installing the stove explained that since we had a full insert all they had to do was connect the stove pipe to it with a short length of flexible pipe, and the system would be completely enclosed and good to go.

Fast Forward to today. I decide that it would be a wise idea to get the chimney inspected and cleaned since we plan on burning about twice as much as we did last year. Had the guy out today, he explained to me that the woodstove has a 6" pipe coming out of it, and that the installers had connected it directly to a 12" insert against code. He then went on to explain that a smaller diameter stovepipe connecting to a larger diameter insert would over the longer term be a safety hazard, and cost more money to clean each time since the entire stove would have to be pulled out each time. He also explained that with the larger diameter insert I would be sacrificing efficiency in my system and losing about twice as much heat up the chimney, as opposed to keeping it inside the house where I wanted it.

His solution, pull the original 12" diameter liner, and install a new 6" diameter liner ... apparently the safety code for inserts says that the liner pipe needs to be the same diameter of the stovepipe ... His price is about $1,000 for the materials and about $400 for labor and installation.

Anyone in the know, does this all sound on the level ... pricing seem fair and reasonable? Safety and efficiency are a big concern to me. Dropping $1400 for a new chimney liner wasn't high on my priority lists this Fall, but I can do it if it's really necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Try contacting the woodstove manufacturer.  They should have a tech support dept that can answer your question.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Ash, you are in the process of being ripped off.
going from a smaller diameter pipe to a larger is entirely within BOCA code.  It actually considered good practice.

You need to call your Attorney General's consumer protectiion office on this turd.

The only way he is legit is if the stove has a 12" connection REDUCED to 6".

IM if you need further assisstance.

Ops
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn ... His explanation seemed plausible based on what I'd learned chimney hazards. He basically said that going from a high heat small pipe to the larger, cooler pipe would cause the smoke to cool too quickly, turn to creosote, build up and eventually ignite ... Is there any truth to this, or is he seriously just bullshitting me all the way to the bank?

BTW, no money has changed hands yet ... I paid him to inspect and clean it, the rest of this stuff came up during his inspection. Which is of course why I'm here asking questions now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump for the afternoon crew ... any other thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Ash, what moe do you need to know?  The asshole has his  bullshit lined up to sound good, but he is F
OS.  Google up the National Board of Fire Underwriters on the net and look up their standards for chimneys.  Do the same with BOCA.

If that SOB had said that shit to me, I'd be laughing too hard to kick his ass.

Ops
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top