Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 4:21:30 AM EDT
He's mad and cussing about the lack of response from the Feds.

Excuse me? He's the cheif officer in charge down there. Where was the NOPD communications? Where was the inter-agency coordination?

And to top it all off, who has time for a radio interview at a time like this? And then to cuss on the air and tell the rest of the world the Feds aren't doing anything?

Sure isn't Rudy now is he.

No wonder the refugee populace in N.O. can't figure out how to fend for themselves. Look at their elected representative.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What an asshat. Of course you can imagine the kind of people that elected this guy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#2]
My big question to this guy would be:

If you implemented a mandatory evacuation, and had shelters open for the public that didn't want to evacuate, where was you transportatoin for those who wanted to leave but couldn't?  Where was your requests to the state government for assistance before the hurricane even hit.

I'd also like to know where the city's stockpile of goods were.  Obviously there were none.

I can't believe no one is getting on this guy or the state governor about this mess.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard some of it on CNN , he sounded like he was
under the influence of something . He even made the
comment " I aint usin drugs " but he slurred it
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
He has been part of the problem, not part of the solution.  No leadership, just bitchin' & moanin'.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
The man is truly a dipshit.  He clearly lacks the mental and spiritual fortitude to handle this situation (as is probably the case with 90% of the mayors out there).  Unfortunately for NO Mayor, and a very good thing for NYC was they had Rudy.  Call him what you will, but a Leader, definitely.  I say unfortunately, because that's the example the rest of the local leaders in our country have to follow.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He has been part of the problem, not part of the solution.  No leadership, just bitchin' & moanin'.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess that I could understand someone's liberal frustration with the situation. I mean, these people don't generally make it a habit to concern themselves with concepts like consequence of action, etc...  so therefore, I can certainly see where the guy would be frustrated now that something has happened in such a way to eliminate the basis upon which the liberal worldview is constructed.

However....

It is simply crass, lowbrow, and very telling to get on a radio show that you KNOW is going to be broadcast nationally, and start cussing.

Leadership isn't even on the radar.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#8]
what kind of cussin'?

F bombs?

G-Damn?

I'm curious
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
what kind of cussin'?

F bombs?

G-Damn?

I'm curious

G-Ddamn... then he caught himself and said "Excuse my French America but I am pissed off."

Not very stately.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:04:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
G-Ddamn... then he caught himself and said "Excuse my French America but I am pissed off."

Alert the internet!

Someone said 'goddamn' and 'pissed' on the
radio.

The guy is an asshat, but I'd like to see how
you guys would handle this monumental
fuckup. He is going to become the goat (and
rightfully so), so I'd think that he might be
losing it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Heard some reporter, I believe from ABC, talking about having to evacuate from their location due to the chemical explosion.

The guy in the background said something like "We've got to leave this shit and go NOW!"

Its not like its a calm situatoin down there.  I'm sure there are a lot of worse words being thrown out there that are being removed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alert the internet!

radio.

losing it.

If he said, "I'm so pissed.  I've ordered the NG to shoot every god-damn crook in the city."

That's OK...in fact, a fuck or shit in there would have been just fine.

But to use these words in his bitchy, winey, do nothing way is pitiful and unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My big question to this guy would be:

If you implemented a mandatory evacuation, and had shelters open for the public that didn't want to evacuate, where was you transportatoin for those who wanted to leave but couldn't?  Where was your requests to the state government for assistance before the hurricane even hit.

Exactly. He knew for days this was coming. I never heard of any local govt effort to force the evacuations or provide any transport. This guy was probably hitting rocks and gin up to the swell and now just throws his hands up in the air.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alert the internet!

radio.

losing it.

I don't care about the words themselves being said. I'm not offended by the language.

The POINT is that the guy was the man in charge PRIOR to the catastrophe -- and he's whining about the Feds not being there fast enough to his liking and cussing about it.

If I didn't know it was actually Nagin on the air, I'd have thought the radio reporter was interviewing some random refugee at the dome. It sounded about the same.

It's the absence of leadership that is the point.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#16]
The man shows the same intellect and class as the majority of the city that put him in office. I KNOW I will get jumped on for this but....

Gee, a 67% black population, and the mayor they put in office has the same mentality as them...Gee, wheres our gubmint cheese and handouts, why isn't SOMEONE ELSE helping us.

He's an asshat....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The man is truly a dipshit.  He clearly lacks the mental and spiritual fortitude to handle this situation (as is probably the case with 90% of the mayors out there).  Unfortunately for NO Mayor, and a very good thing for NYC was they had Rudy.  Call him what you will, but a Leader, definitely.  I say unfortunately, because that's the example the rest of the local leaders in our country have to follow.  

It is true that not everybody is cut out to be an emergency worker, but I'm not so sure that mental and spiritual fortitutde plays as much of a role as recognizing that bad things will happen and you can predict them and handle them as they come along.  With a little practice, the mindset to get the job done will just come to you, because you don't have room for anything else.  Going through such practice also quickens your response to bad things, because there SEEMS to be a huge number of bad things which can go wrong and an equally huge number of responses, but in reality, it isn't that complex.
You're just doing a handful of things over and over, and in different combinations and quantities.  Expect realistically the bad things, understand the needs involved, and you will find it much easier to just get done what needs doing.

Good point.  What's completely amazing to me is the apparently lack of planning, let alone practicing/rehearsing for the unlikely, yet possible scenario that a "seaside" city, in the Hurricane belt, AND BELOW SEA LEVEL might get hit by a major storm someday and, uh....might experience some minor water damage.  Unfortunately for the mayor, and governor, they are the reprsentatives of this rather apparent failure.   If the politicos can bullshit their way into office, then they should be able to at least appear in charge so the masses have some hope.  This guy can't even do that.  He can't even fake having some balls (thus my "mental fortitude" comment).  His actions and words perpetuates the feelings of victimization which has not helped anybody, except maybe his weak minded self.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Typical Dem in action...Oh, why, oh why, isn't someone taking care of me?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#19]
And I wonder why they're not prepared.

GR
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Living in Pensacola, I have to say Jeb Bush is a great governor. After 3 hurricanes hit central FL in 45 days and 1 nailed us in NWFL, the help was staged before the storm arrived. The NG passed out ice, water, and MREs after they cut their way into town.

NG even directed traffic since people don't seem to know what to do at intersections with the signals out.

This year when Dennis, a cat 4 struck just to the west of Pcola, the supplies were already staged waiting for the storm to pass to the supplies went to right places. A good leader like Jeb was critical.

Looks like LA has no leadership whatsoever, easier to blame GWB I suppose. Typical Dems who can't take any responsibility for their own actions--or inactions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This guy was probably hitting rocks and gin up to the swell.....................

Sounds like Dick Powell in a 40s detective flick. You aren't wearing a fedora are you?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I've just heard the entire interview... The poor guy lost it. He's not suitable to be in charge anymore (if ever was)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I heard part of the interview. The guy is useless with no leadership or organizational skills.

Lead, follow or get out of the way. The guy should just get out of the way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#24]
local AM station here is owned by the same conglomerate, the talk show guy started off his 9am show with the interview. that mayor was pissed and dropped a lot of GDs. I was expecting an F-bomb
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
What an asshat. Of course you can imagine the kind of people that elected this guy.

The Mayor of Detroit makes him look like a Harvard grad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what kind of cussin'?

F bombs?

G-Damn?

I'm curious

Not very stately.

Nice & Ghetto...Just the way the NO voters like it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#27]
www.channelcincinnati.com/news/4887230/detail.html

Angry New Orleans Mayor Says Feds Don't Have A Clue

UPDATED: 10:13 am EDT September 2, 2005

The once-glorious city of New Orleans is in ruins and its people in chaos from Hurricane Katrina.

For those who sought refuge in the New Orleans convention center, it became just another part of the nightmare. There are reports of rapes, beatings and fights in the convention center, where at least 15,000 people have sought safety.

Police Chief Eddie Compass said hotels have sent away their tourists and the displaced people are "walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon."

But when he sent in 88 officers to quell the situation at the building, they were driven back by a mob. He said, "They were beaten back within 30 feet of the entrance."

The mayor of New Orleans is seething over what he sees as the government's slow response to his city's disaster.

Ray Nagin went on WWL Radio Thursday night to say the feds "don't have a clue what's going on." He added, "Excuse my French -- everybody in America -- but I am pissed."

Nagin said that there are many drug addicts who are searching for a fix. He said that's why they are breaking into drug stores and hospitals.

"What you are seeing is drug-starving crazy addicts that are wreaking havoc and we don't have the manpower that we can deal with it," Nagin said.

Nagin is angry, and wants people to flood the offices of the president and the governor with letters calling for help. He thinks not enough is being done to help the evacuees. He said that federal officials "don't have a clue what's going on."

"Get off your asses and let's do something and let's fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country," Nagin said. "People are dying. They don't have homes, they don't have jobs. The city of New Orleans will never be the same. And it's time."

The mayor said he needs troops and hundreds of buses to get refugees out.

He said that it was laughable that some officials had mentioned possibly having school bus drivers brought to New Orleans to help with the evacuation.

"I'm like, 'You have got to be kidding me.' This is a national disaster, get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses to New Orleans," he said. "This is a major, major, major deal."

Nagin accused state and federal officials of "playing games" and "spinning for the cameras." He said he keeps hearing that help is coming, but "there's no beef."

He called for a moratorium on press conferences. He said he doesn't want any more press conferences there until there is actual manpower on the ground helping his city. He said that he is tired of hearing that thousands of troops are on their way because they are just not there.

Earlier, he issued a "desperate SOS" on behalf of the thousands who are stranded at the convention center. He also gave the go-ahead for them to march across a bridge to a dry area of the city and look for whatever relief they could find.

At least seven bodies were scattered outside the convention center. People desperately called for help, chasing after reporters, sometimes pleading and sometimes threatening.

Congress is rushing through an aid package of more than $10 billion and the Pentagon is promising 1,400 National Guardsmen.

Refugee: It’s Genocide
One refugee said the victims have been left "like pure animals" with no care.

The New Orleans police chief said 15,000 people are trapped in the city's convention center. And he said some are being raped and beaten.

Alan Gould, a man who is an evacuee inside the convention center, told CNN that women and small children are being raped and killed. He called it genocide.

He said officials keep giving them the runaround, saying "Help is coming. Help is coming. Help is coming." But he said people just keep dying.

A 68-year-old minister who's stranded with thousands of other evacuees at the New Orleans Convention Center said, "We are out here living like pure animals."

The Rev. Isaac Clark said, "We don't have water. We don't have food. We don't have help."

A 23-year-old woman tending to her 4-year-old daughter said, "God is punishing New Orleans" for its corruption and crime.

At least seven bodies were scattered outside the convention center. People desperately called for help, chasing after reporters, sometimes pleading and sometimes threatening.

Louisiana's governor is declaring war on looters and others who've turned the streets of New Orleans into scenes of chaos and fear.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said 300 National Guard troops have arrived in the city fresh from duty in Iraq. She said they "know how to shoot and kill, and they are more than willing to do so, and I expect they will."

The Guard troops are carrying M-16s, which Blanco describes as "locked and loaded."

Within the angry crowds of people trying to flee the city, shooters have targeted police officers, a security person at the Superdome and possibly a military helicopter evacuating hospital patients.

A Louisiana state police commander said many New Orleans officers have quit, saying they weren't going to risk their lives to fight looters.

Meanwhile, evacuees chanted "We want help!" Thursday outside the New Orleans convention center. Many have been there for days, without food, water or sanitary services. At least seven corpses are there as well.

Those at the convention center are increasingly hungry, desperate and tired of waiting for buses to return them to the fresh air of civilization.

As the mayor asked for buses, he also made an apparent effort to defuse what could be an explosive situation. The mayor said people will be allowed to march across a bridge to the city's unflooded west bank, for whatever relief they can find.

At the hot and stinking Superdome, there's a snarl in the effort to evacuate storm refugees to Houston. More people keep arriving, swelling the number from 20,000 to 30,000. A National Guard captain said people are coming from around the city, hoping to get a ride out of town.

Lines to board buses to Texas stretch for nearly half a mile. Fights are breaking out, and one military policeman was shot in the leg in a scuffle for his rifle.

A New Orleans official is calling the situation a "national disgrace."

Fights and fires have erupted and corpses are openly scattered throughout the city. Rescue helicopters and law enforcement officers have been targeted by gunfire.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#29]
NO Mayor is in need of more security right now than anyone. He will probably have to be put in the Witness Protection Program when this is all over.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

A Louisiana state police commander said many New Orleans officers have quit, saying they weren't going to risk their lives to fight looters.

A few years ago, when dirty bombs were the topic of the day, I predicted that we would see most emergency personnel refuse to go into the hot zone, for their own safety.  Whoever was in what would become the hot zone when the bomb detonated would be as good as dead.  Several police officers and medics agreed with that.
The people who expect that police will come to help them don't realize that the individual officers have their limit, and aren't going  to go to a place where they figure that their injury or death is likely, if not fairly inevitable.
The people created the hell, and the police aren't going to sacrifice thermselves for the criminal element.

Well, they're certainly not going to risk their  lives armed with the words, "Stop", "I said Stop", "Listen, I said stop".  It's even worse witth the armed thugs.  Give the police the very GREEN light to take care of the matter and some might still be around.  POLITICS and PC attitudes have led to this debacle.  If it had been handled strong handedly from the get-go, a lot of people would be pissed, a lot of people would not be dying, and a whole hell of a lot of thugs would be dead.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alert the internet!

radio.

losing it.

All this asshat is doing is politicizing the disaster.  If everything was exactly the same, but a DEM in the White House, he would not be saying this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#32]
As others have said, the ugly side of human nature that is on display in NO really shows how good a job Rudy did keeping order in NYC following 9-11. Granted, 9-11 was an attack, not mother nature, so that might have helped unite people... but it is clear now how mishandling the situation could have turned NYC into John Carpenter's "Escape from New York" very fast.

Another advantage Rudy had going for him was that he had been turning NYC away from the cesspool it was in the 80's prior to 9-11. Had 9-11 happened 15 years earlier, it likely would have resembled what NO is now experiencing. Prior to Katrina, NO already had 10 times the crimerate of the average US city...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
As others have said, the ugly side of human nature that is on display in NO really shows how good a job Rudy did keeping order in NYC following 9-11. Granted, 9-11 was an attack, not mother nature, so that might have helped unite people... but it is clear now how mishandling the situation could have turned NYC into John Carpenter's "Escape from New York" very fast.

Another advantage Rudy had going for him was that he had been turning NYC away from the cesspool it was in the 80's prior to 9-11. Had 9-11 happened 15 years earlier, it likely would have resembled what NO is now experiencing. Prior to Katrina, NO already had 10 times the crimerate of the average US city...

IIRC... there WAS an 'escape from New York' of sorts after the attack. Thousands upon thousands of people were forced to walk home, many for miles... in the pitch dark, with no electricity or lights, with no cell services and police protection.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Please tell me he is a democrat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC... there WAS an 'escape from New York' of sorts after the attack. Thousands upon thousands of people were forced to walk home, many for miles... in the pitch dark, with no electricity or lights, with no cell services and police protection.

Another factor in that....had nothing to do with race, as all races were in the trek....you know the real factor here....99% of those people were WORKING people, not dependant on the dole for living. A huge difference in mentality and actions.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#36]
news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050902/ts_alt_afp/usweatherbush_050902142913

Louisiana officials step up criticism of relief effort

NEW ORLEANS, United States (AFP) - Local officials stepped up their criticism of Washington's response to the killer Hurricane Katrina, branding its failure to speed troops and relief a "national disgrace."

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said he "talked to everybody under the sun," including     President George W. Bush, but had little success accelerating the dispatch of troops and buses to his flooded city terrorized by armed gangs.

"They think small. This is a major, major, major deal," he told CNN television. He earlier told a local radio station, "every day we delay, people are dying and they're dying in the hundreds, I'm willing to bet you."

Nagin said he told Bush, who was to visit the disaster zone on Friday, that "his flying over in Air Force One does not do it justice."

"I have been all over this city and I am very frustrated because we are not able to marshall resources and we are outmanned in just about every respect. ... I am pissed."

Administration officials say they are doing their utmost to rush manpower and supplies to help survivors of Katrina, which lashed the US Gulf Coast on Monday, leaving thousands feared dead.

But they said they were hampered by the fetid waters inundating 80 percent of the city which have left tens of thousands of people stranded in squalid, sweltering and increasingly dangerous conditions.

Terry Ebbert, the head of New Orleans' emergency operations, was unimpressed by the explanations offered by the     Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other departments.

"This is a national disgrace," he said. "FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control. We can send massive amounts of aid to (Asian) tsunami victims, but we can't bail out the city of New Orleans."

With more than 4,000 National Guardsmen already in New Orleans, US authorities said they expected to have 22,000 on the ground in affected areas of the state of Louisiana by Friday.

But Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco insisted she told Bush earlier in the week that she needed 40,000 federal troops.

"We just did not have enough resources in a timely fashion," the Democrat told CNN. "The ramp-up was not as rapid as we needed."

Amid reports of survivors falling dead in shelters, rotting corpses piling up and gunfights and fistfights erupting, Blanco said situation was ripe for further disaster.

"When your whole network of civilization falls apart, when you have no communications capacity, when you don't have power, you don't have water ... anything can happen. And it has happened," she said.

Bush has been accused of being slow to break off his month-long holiday at his Texas ranch to crank up the federal response to one of the country's worst national disasters.

A poll published Thursday found that 59 percent of Americans felt the federal government was not doing enough to help hurricane victims. Leading US newspapers Friday also blasted the tardy response.

"How could the government have been so unready for a crisis that was so widely predicted," asked The Washington Post.

"The sluggish, initial response ... has embittered and inflamed tens of thousands of people awaiting relief, most of them poor and black and many of them old and sick," the Post said in an editorial.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It's the absence of leadership that is the point.

I'll agree with that.

There is no Rudy this time around.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Let's think about this... there may actually be some method in the madness!

An elected official.

Probably wants to ge re-elected.

The voters are first angry with the Mayor and Governor for not doing more... even thought they may actually be doing all they can.

So... throw a fit... throw a BIG  nasty foul mouth fit being angry at the feds, that will really hit all the news reports... the voters may see this as him  coming to bat for them and it might actually accomplish something.

Remember... the squeaky wheel get the oil!

They might just remember that he pulled all stops and got down and dirty and gave the feds hell.

That might actually increase the chance help comes faster... and he gets re-elected...

Think about it!!!

Would you vote for the ones who took off the gloves... ditched the Marques (sp) of Qeensburry Rules and fought the hard fight for you?

I think maybe so!!!

I bet I there are a bunch of elected official in N.O and L.A. that are thinking their political career and chance of being re-elected busted with the levees!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Nagin is a dipshit.

He's streaming on the air live on WDSU TV.

He's still bitching away. Cussing his head off... Freaking idiot... get out there and MANAGE! Sitting in your office crying away while your own police department dissipates.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top