BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 3:11:31 AM EDT
sorry it this is a dupe.

blackhawk videe
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice, is there a clear pic of that Blackhawk gunship setup? I'm interested to see if that was an "official" system or a "battlefield mod".
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
sorry it this is a dupe.

blackhawk videe

WTF IS A Blackwawk
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sorry it this is a dupe.

blackhawk videe

WTF IS A Blackwawk

+1 Damnit you beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:51:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The stardard armament for a US Blackhawk is 2 M60D's or 240s.  Certain units in the army have hawks with miniguns and rocket pods.

The most gunned up hawk I ever saw was a Colombian Airforce bird that had 2 rocket pods and 2 forward facing 50 cal miniguns, 2 M60s in the gunners windows and 2 M2 "Carbine" 50 Cals in the doors.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#5]
blocked-orgish...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:05:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The most gunned up hawk I ever saw was a Colombian Airforce bird that had 2 rocket pods and 2 forward facing 50 cal miniguns, 2 M60s in the gunners windows and 2 M2 "Carbine" 50 Cals in the doors.  

I hope the Colombians are careful shots because that's a lot of interfering fields of fire there! I can just see a Colombian soldier shooting into a rocket pod and blowing the formation out of the sky!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't see the video (ogrish is blocked here, of course) but if its a blackhawk tearing shit up its probably a DAP from the 160th SOAR, my brother's unit.  They have 30mm cannons, rockets, and fixed forward firing GAU-2 miniguns, among other toys.  Here's a pic:

www.soc.mil/160soar/Blkhawk.shtml
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
blocked-orgish...

+1   Pure Evil
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]

...or if you want a bigger boom:

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can't see the video (ogrish is blocked here, of course) but if its a blackhawk tearing shit up its probably a DAP from the 160th SOAR, my brother's unit.  They have 30mm cannons, rockets, and fixed forward firing GAU-2 miniguns, among other toys.  Here's a pic:

Oh yeah, that's the stuff! So can the SOAR guys talk a bikini model to pose with it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm, no bikini models, yet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
new orleans could use one or 2 for looter shooter duty.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
What's a "Blackwalk"?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

members.cox.net/drmark/UH60Hellfires.jpg

AH-60?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
D00P...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The weapon closer to the outboard tip of the stub wing... isn't that an AH-64 Apache 30mm chaingun cannon mounted sideways?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:41:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The weapon closer to the outboard tip of the stub wing... isn't that an AH-64 Apache 30mm chaingun cannon mounted sideways?

Yup, it's the same gun as the AH-64.

The mini-gun mounts on all Army Blackhawks are capable of either flex firing through manual aiming (i.e. door gunner) or can be locked in the forward facing position and fired by the pilot.  So any Blackhawk with a mini-gun can do either strafing or flex suppression.  Just depends on what you need to do.

The original DAP used the ESSS (wing stubs) with four hardpoints.  The 30mm were inboard and the outboard stations were either rockets or hellfires, or a mix.  The mount you see there in the pic is an improved one.  The original (ESSS) couldn't take the recoil of the 30mm.  It transmitted it directly to the airframe, which caused problems.  

On the UH-60 there's two beams that run down the length of the cabin in the roof.  The ESSS mounts on side stubs that connect to the beams.  Originally the ESSS was simply for fuel tanks, rockets, missles, etc, that were all releatively heavy, but didn't produce recoil.  All they needed to do was to be strong enough to take the G's of maneuvering with the weight out on the stub wings.  They weren't designed for the 30mm, and the recoil was too much.  It ended up cracking both the beams on one of the test aircraft.  I don't mean hairline cracks.  I mean actual separation of the beams into halves (i.e the aircraft's back broke).  With all the weight of the crap on the ship, the broken and separated parts of the beams were actually several inches away from each other.

As the aircraft was stripped down and the airframe unloaded, the beams crept back together until finally the airframe was straightend out, the beams connected and then they were welded.  The aircraft was returned to service.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What's a "Blackwalk"?  

hmm I see it as

the firepower of a black wawk
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

members.cox.net/drmark/UH60Hellfires.jpg

AH-60?

I think it's just a standard UH with the Hellfires mounted on the ESSS.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yup, it's the same gun as the AH-64.

You guys are better than the KGB! Thanks for all the info, now I shall sell on the black market.  He he he.
So, anyone want in on a group buy so we can build our own technical: pickup truck + that 30mm cannon?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top