Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2005 11:46:40 PM EDT
Would you loot for just food and water so you and your family coudl survive. Im not talking about looting other peoples houses, but businesses or restraunts. After all, its that or death.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I would have left.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No. I would have left.

Yep. I would have been gone a few days before hand.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't be in NO in the fist place, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was somehow stuck there, I would do whatever ti took to provide for my loved ones.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
i would think all of us would do what we would need to do to protect our families, as a matter of fact a bunch of us have said it already. personaly i would not take it from some one else but if it was still on a shelf... its dinner time
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No. I would have left.

+1

From various news reports before the storm:

Category 5 hurricane
Mandatory evacuation
Possible annihilation

these are what some would call "clues"

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Anything necessary for survival.  But not beer, DVD players, movies, etc.   THAT is just fucking asinine.  Of course, like others have stated, I would have been gone days before Katrina landed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No. I would have left.

+1

Or I would find a way out rather than sit on my ass and bitching and whining.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I talked to my mom tonight, who is a liberal in denial. She said this is why people need guns. For self protection in these kinds od scenarios. I was suprised she said that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
food and water is one thing.
DVD players and Nikes is something else
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I honestly don't think ANYONE (even the business owners themselves) gives a shit about people taking food, water and essentials to survive following a disaster.

Most of those goods would be a total loss anyway. If it was my store I'd rather someone feed themselves than let it rot for 2 months on the shelf.

What people are talking about are REAL LOOTERS who are taking advantage of the situation to steal NON ESSENTIALS. This breaks down everything and over burdens what little structure remains.

This means we have to allocate manpower to stop REAL LOOTERS rather than dedicate that manpower to rescue and relief efforts. As we have seen without security and some stability rescue and relief workers will NOT be risked in hostile environments.

This means NOBODY is being saved. Those assholes are making it worse for EVERYONE.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I honestly don't think ANYONE (even the business owners themselves) gives a shit about people taking food, water and essentials to survive following a disaster.

Most of those goods would be a total loss anyway. If it was my store I'd rather someone feed themselves than let it rot for 2 months on the shelf.

What people are talking about are REAL LOOTERS who are taking advantage of the situation to steal NON ESSENTIALS. This breaks down everything and over burdens what little structure remains.

This means we have to allocate manpower to stop REAL LOOTERS rather than dedicate that manpower to rescue and relief efforts. As we have seen without security and some stability rescue and relief workers will NOT be risked in hostile environments.

This means NOBODY is being saved. Those assholes are making it worse for EVERYONE.

Agreed I have no problem with someone horking some gatorade or some bread.  But jewelry and valuables seem to be much more popular.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#13]
If I found myself retarded enough to stay in a city that sits below sea level with a cat 5 Hurricane on the way, Yes I would get the things necessary for survival.  Not fuckin' tv's and dvd's!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I would have looted a marine electronics store for a sonar depth and fish finder to see all my stuff for the last time....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#15]
If I was somehow stuck there with no means of escape, yes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#16]
If for some retarded reason I was stuck there, Yes I would do whatever I had to do to feed/water my children and wife.

But in the situation Im in now, that would mean heading out to the shop to get a case of MRE's after we used up all the stock in the house.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#17]
This is a strange question.

It's like asking a retarded kid if he'd go back into a burning building to save his crayons.

You can't get a sane answer - because anyone with half a brain wouldn't have put themselves into such a desperate situation, so anyone that actually IS there has mental deficiencies, and can't be relied on to make any sense with their decision making.

To answer your question tho, I'd go back in for the crayons.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Food and water is not really looting, it will spoil anyways especially when exposed to the elements with no air cond. But you can't eat Jewelry, TV's, DVD's, 40 pairs of shoes or 12 pairs of jeans. There is no excuse for that kind of looting.

At home, I've got two cases of MRE's, some random camping meals, stores of liquid fuel, propane tanks, stoves, titanium pots and pans, lanterns candles and water. If the water gets crushed, I've got two camping filtration pumps and one straw filter. They can all remove all dangerous bacteria and other noxious chemicals.

In my SUV, I've got a little jar of chemical water purification tablets = small, cheap and they don't mess up the taste of the water, some canned food, dry food “ramen” and power drink mixes, a fleece camping blanket, extra shoes, stove, an old mess kit and a self charging flash light. It's mostly extra camping gear that I keep there at all times just in case I forget something when hit the campgrounds but it also makes a perfect bug out stash for SHTF.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd have been one of those stealing guns and ammo. Then I could get food and water as needed. I'm joking  before you all jump on me.

Jokes aside, if I for some reason couldn't have left, I'd do what was needed to provide for my family.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't blame folks for food and water and yep, a FL guy is saying that too.  First clear day though? TVs? Etc. etc. etc.?  Survival is one thing but...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's like asking a retarded kid if he'd go back into a burning building to save his crayons.

You can't get a sane answer - because anyone with half a brain wouldn't have put themselves into such a desperate situation, so anyone that actually IS there has mental deficiencies, and can't be relied on to make any sense with their decision making.

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:40:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I am laughing so hard I HURT!

PERFECT swingset
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:43:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I would have bugged the F*** out when the first warnings were issued.
But if by some stroke of bad luck I was stuck there, I would "borrow" some food and water IF I HAD to.
I'd be helping others too, if at all possible.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

damn, I forgot to put crayons in my BOB. How am I gonna keep my weapons properly labled
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I have no doubt that if my bug out plans went FUBAR, I would take whatever I needed to survive with my family.

This includes water, canned food, possibly medicine and clothes if everything else we had was under 12 feet of bacteria infested flood water.  If I needed a weapon, I would procure that also.

Alcohol and electronics would only be liabilities in this situation and taking those items is the difference between a looter and a survivor.

Jewelry might seem as a means of commerce to trade for food and water but I’m not sure I would want to deal with people that would take jewelry in trade.

My altruistic conscious would compel me to make restitution to the store owners (assuming that they were known) for the goods that I confiscated.  To do anything less would label me a thief.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#26]
IF I got stuck there it would mean that I couldn't get back home for whatever reason.  I think I'd try to organize a group of people to start rounding up food and water supplies for everyone and ration it.  I would also get cigarettes.  Would you really like a bunch of smokers being forced to quit while being really stressed out?  As much as I'd like it, alcohol would be out of the question.  It'd dehydrate people and some would start fights.  The only other thing I could justify looting would be .45 ammo.  When I go through NO, I usually have 3 clips for my Kimber and maybe a few loose rounds.

TVs, stereos, jewelry etc. will not help you survive.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:49:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I would've had supplies already, and the means to protect them. No need to loot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:49:01 AM EDT
[#28]
if necessary for family to survive ...yes....

probably would be finding some swim flippers too...maybe not nikes though....

although the one chick replayed on FNC stealing the big bottle of wine looked like she was going to have a good time...and then again, so did the two gay blond guys taking the coat hanger off the clothes they were stealing.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]

I would have been gone.

Or I would have been prepared for months.

There is no option where I'd be one of the sheep.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd grab any empty pop or soda bottle or left over empty water bottle, wade to the nearest tall building and start trying the taps for any residual tap water.

Then start walking in the direction of the leevees to use those above water as a path out.

I wouldn't stop until I got out of the city limits. Then I'd jump on the back of any passing truck going north and hold on tight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I would focus mainly on transportation. What ever food/water I could get for my journey. I'd grab what ever floats and try to upgrade as much as I could. If I chould. I dunno what it's really like there but that would be my goal. GET OUT. Loot for food and water for my journey. That is all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I would have loaded up the truck and camper  full of the valubles and headed out. I would not even give a second thought to putting my family in situation like that!!!

Like a that voice in a scary movie ... "GET OUT"
I'm gone!

Nationwide shtf, still no. I have enough to last my family, +3-5,  a few months and would hope my friends would all band together to wait it out. I do worry as some of my friends from this board are on the otherside of a major population center and making contact would be hard if little to no notice was given before hand.
CH

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Would you loot for just food and water so you and your family coudl survive. Im not talking about looting other peoples houses, but businesses or restraunts. After all, its that or death.

of course I would loot to survive. I don't think any sane person wouldn't. While I agree I would try to get out of there before hand. If I was stuck there and needed food to survive and for the survival of my family of course I would loot. However, stealing TVs and jewelry is inexcusable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#34]
If I was stuck in a situation like that... I doubt I would need to loot to survive.  As it is, I have over a year's worth of canned food stocked up, and about 500 gallons of water to boot.  Not to mention a few thousand rounds of 5.56mm, including 1200 rounds ALREADY loaded into magazines, and enough guns that my neighbors (whoever also got stuck) and I could establish a fairly effective neighborhood protection plan.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I was in 3 hurricanes while I lived in FLA, including Andrew.

I didn't evacuate for any of them (2 by choice, Andrew because I couldn't due to having no vehicle)

I have hurricane supplies on hand every year.  I would be good for another 2 or 3 weeks, even longer if I could get water in the meantime and avoid using mine.

So no, I wouldn't be looting.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I was in 3 hurricanes while I lived in FLA, including Andrew.

I didn't evacuate for any of them (2 by choice, Andrew because I couldn't due to having no vehicle)

I have hurricane supplies on hand every year.  I would be good for another 2 or 3 weeks, even longer if I could get water in the meantime and avoid using mine.

So no, I wouldn't be looting.  

I am greatly amused by a lot of the responses…

I have no doubt that many of those now saying they would have gotten out are the same ones who would be thumping their chests and screaming they would have stayed and protected their property if the situation were different and the levee had not broken… no doubt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I've never had any desire to visit New Orleans and even if I had been there, I would have left when they announced the evacuation. Assuming I even waited that long.

But, if I did get taken completely by surprise when the SHTF and was trapped in a city full of looting, rioting, rape, and murder... Yes, I would go into stores and grab non-perishable food and bottled water in order to survive. I would very probably also take guns and ammunition from any gunstores I came across if I felt it was necessary. In the case of firearms and ammo, I would write down the address of the gun store and the serial numbers of each gun I took. Assuming I lived through the disaster, I would get hold of the owner ASAP and return the firearms. They're not mine, after all. As for ammo, I'd reimburse him for what I used if I could, but I'm sure I'd be using my money on things necessary for my own well-being at the moment.

As for the bastards stealing tv's, carts full of shoes, etc.: Let them eat lead. I have no sympathy for someone who exploits another's misfortune to prey on them.

Once I've secured the odds of survival for me and mine, my next goal is to organize everyone around me and keep them alive and busy until everybody can flee the area or be rescued. Those I can trust get guns to keep the ones I don't trust (i.e., everyone I don't know on a personal basis) from stealing, fighting, raping, killing, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Food, water, ammo, clothes, medicine, waders, boat, motor, batteries....

But I'd probably already have them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No. I would have left.

Yep. I would have been gone a few days before hand.  

Yup.  Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to break the law to 'survive'
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#40]
No. I have enough bottled water and food to last two weeks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Given no other choice....bet yo ass I would.  But somehow I don't see haow anything but food and water would be necesary for survival in most cases.  

Now on the subject of choices......I would would have if at all possible left when given the chance/ choice.  

What is they say about making your own bed???????????

Yes I do have sympathy for those that have and or will loose everything.
But those that are terrorizing the rest and acting like wild animals deserve what they have coming.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#42]
ITs one thing to grab food and water from a store but what is apparent is that there is a lot of looting of private residences as well as stores for non-essentials.

Should be open season on looters going into private residences....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I would have left.

However if I was a dumb ass like all those people who stayed; still no because I would have been prepaired.  

If I were even a bigger dumb ass and didn't prepair then yes for food, water, and medicine only (maybe a pair of shoes if for what ever reason I didn't have any on).

What some of the people in N.O. are doing is uncalled for.  Animals  . . . . animals I say.  And they should be delt with like animals . . . . shot on site (except for food, water or medicine).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Something I remember from preparing for a hurricane.

Get plenty of bottled water or put drinking water in containers.
Fill bathtubs with water. (OK wouldn't have helped when house flooded.)
Stock up on batteries for flashlights and radios.
Have canned or preserved foods ready that you don't have to cook to eat.
Board up all your windows.

Notice that most of the people they showed showing up to the Superdome had clothes, luggage and personal possesions but you didn't see people carrying food and water.  I believe they were expecting that to be handed out there and didn't bother bringing stuff to survive.

I rode out the last hurricane that hit FL in 2004 at Disney World with my wife.  I gassed up the car, we bought food to keep in the room and even rented a refrigerator (to keep the food colder longer.)  All the necessary storm preps we could do, including bringing the extra clips for my Kimber in from the car.  We didn't think it would be bad, and it wasn't, but we were prepared.  We left the next day and drove to NO.  Looks like we won't be going back to NO for a while.  On a side note, if you have to be stuck in a storm, a resort at Disney World is the place to be.  We never lost power and if we did they had their own backup generators.  They also had people come in that didn't have to and open up the restaurants to feed everybody after the storm passed.  They left messages on our phone in the room every so often to update everyone on what was going on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#48]
First off, I would have left. However, if I stayed...Yes I would if needed. I have NO problem with people looting to get food and water. If it is required than I say do it. In fact, I posted in another thread, if I wsa a cop in NO I would not even blink at people grabing water and any food needed. It's the plasma flat big screen tv's that piss me off!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Me, my family, water filters and MREs would not have been there at all if possible. If needed though, they would have been used instead of looting. That said, there's a huge difference between taking food to survive and taking consumer items because you can and are a dirtbag.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top