Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 10:51:54 PM EDT
Watching some of the talking heads today really amazed me. Some of the stupidity I witnessed was almsot unbelievable.

Case in point was Kyra Phillips on CNN. After the video of the chaotic scene at the convention center aired around 1 PM on CNN, she became almost belligerant. "Where are the troops? Where is the aid? Where is the government? Why is the active duty US Army not on the ground there? The FEMA director can make this happen, so why isn't he? Where are those navy ships that are supposed to be on the way?" Her line of questioning became more insane by the minute. And it was all sparked by her kneejerk type of reaction to seeing a dead body in a wheelchair.

Kyra, everything is not instant coffee! And I've got news for you honey, there are likely THOUSANDS of dead people across the region.  We have hundreds of thousands of people in the NO area who are needing food, medical aid and shelter. Hundreds of thousands! They are scattered all around the area. The police, NG and fire/ems are doing what they can to get to those who need to be rescued and supply food and water to the others. But they aren't going to be able to get to them all in one or two days. The manpower simply isn't there.

And why is this? Well, the first NG units to arrive on scene were the locals. There are more on the way, but it takes some time to mobilize and move. And as far as the active duty US Army, there are some legal ramifications. You can't have active duty US troops on the ground patrolling the streets unless you toss the Constitution out the damn window and declare martial law. Therefore the NG must do this type of work while active duty troops give them support. This is already happening.

Making matters worse is obviously the thugs there. Far more could have already been done if rescuers weren't being shot at and if resources weren't having to be diverted to deal with the thugs causing the lawlessness. Making matters worse still is the fact many NOPD officers aren't even showing up to work. And last, this is a huge disaster area! There is an area of devastation that includes almost two entire states! Hundreds of thousands of people need help all over it. New Orleans is not the only city in need of help afterall. There are people in Slidell, Biloxi, Gulfport, Mobile, etc too. So some of the resources have to go to these areas as well.

The truth is, this is a calamity of Biblical proportions. We are doing all we can. But the best we can do isn't going to help everyone immediately. You can't snap your fingers and immediately have 50,000 troops on the ground in all these areas handing out supplies. It fucking takes time, like it or not. And the logistics involved is a nightmare. You have to locate supplies, load them, bring them in and then try to determine how to distribute them. And all of this in an area that's destroyed, with roads impassible, water 20 ft deep in places and with thugs shooting at them. With as many people as there are in need, not everyone is going to get supplied right at the start simply because they can't bring that much in that quickly. And as far as the navy ships, that sadly takes time too you fucking nitwit. These ships can't sail from Virginia to NO in a day's time. And you can't make them go any faster than what they are.

Geez. I get so pissed at hearing some of these type of complaints. Yes, it's a fucking disaster down there. Yes, we are doing everything possible to help. But not everyone is gonna get the aid they need immediately. It will take time. Conditions will improve daily as more men and more equipment/supplies arrive. However, that may be too late for some. It's sad but that's just how it is. To think otherwise is fucking insane though. Sometimes there is only so much you can do. These people have to be a little realistic here. If they are, they'll realize why some people have yet to receive aid. It's a huge freaking catastrophe that simply is larger than the resources we can immediately bring into action. So to the Kyra Phillip's of the news world, pipe down and STFU!

Rant off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Like most of the liberals that are freaking out about this, she expects to see the 82nd Airborne passing out candy bars to idiots and the USNS Comfort steaming up Canal St.

Evidently, our last President gave the left the idea that our troops existed for the purpose of helping the poor and such.

Personally, I would be thrilled to see the 82nd Airborne or the Marines mopping up New Orleans. If I could get out of school, I would volunteer to go down there and help shoot looters.

My favorite responses from the libs thusfar have been the outraged rants about the request by the President that they help out their fellow Americans. They didn't mind begging the world to help tsunami victims, but God forbid they cough up a few bucks to help people in a country that actually matters.

Some have even made comments like "Why don't the people that voted for Bush pay". Well Lefty, I'll tell you why. The people that voted for Bush work for a living. We don't like the idea of a welfare state, and while we feel for the people who lost everything there, we don't have much sympathy for the ones who were warned and didn't leave.

Nobody forced these people to live in a city that is below sea level. Nobody blinded them to the fact that if you can't bury your dead in the ground, you can't expect your city to be flood proof. Nobody from the Bush administration told them to blow their money on fur coats, Air Jordans, and platinum teeth. Nobody in the Bush administration told them that it was a good idea to stay where they were instead of moving to higher ground when they had the chance.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that the residents of New Orleans that are in the most trouble now are the same ones that I saw when I was there. The ones that sit around all day in the projects while everyone is at work. What they are experiencing now is the natural selection that would have occured years ago if our government had done the logical thing and quit paying them to sit around on their asses instead of doing something productive. Good fucking riddance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
C_H, I got your back.

Looky here.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You hit the nail on the head.

Let say they could magically put 50,000 troops in the middle of NO overnight…

How do you get them water…
How do you feed them…
How do you shelter them…
How to the move around, most of the city is flooded…

Unless you get the logistics in place FIRST you will just make the situation worse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top