Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 9:35:38 PM EDT
Within the next few days, the vast majority of the people left in NO will be moved out to “shelters” around the south.  There will be a lot of moaning and groaning and kicking and screaming but they will be out.  Since the “rebuilding” of the city will literally take years, these people will not be moving back.  The business and home owners will be ok.  Most have insurance that will cover their expenses and they will get back on their feet.  The problem will be with the children of the “Great Society”.  Those people who didn’t have anything before Katrina will obviously have nothing after.  As I see it, the REAL social danger lurking here is these people being basically dumped on a few cities indefinitely.  Cities like Houston and San Antonio etc. will be generous up to a point.  After their worlds begin to be adversely affected by the influx of these people, things could get ugly.  This is my long term fear.

Now for the solution:
As soon as possible, the Federal Govt needs to establish an accurate census of who these people are.  It shouldn’t be too hard to do as most are already in the system one way or another.  They then need to be establishing a database of cities and or areas around the country where there is available public housing and welfare programs.  Again, since the fed is already picking up a good portion of the tab for this welfare, it shouldn’t be hard to do.  Now…….go to all these people who have lost everything and have no ability to take care of themselves and give them choices of where they want to go and live…….permanently.  Give them enough money, housing vouchers, transportation to the area etc. and settle them.  We are going to have to pay for this eventually anyway so why not do it now instead of waiting for everyone involved to get pissed.  This solution will prevent all or most of these people from landing unfairly on the doorstep of just a few cities and thus help to diffuse a potential explosive situation(s).  The Fed can control how many people go where by controlling the number of available spots in each city.  Columbus can take 2000, Omaha can take 1500, Los Angeles can take 3500 etc etc.  First come, first serve.  Again, we are going to have to pay for this anyway why not do it now and on a controlled basis.

Perhaps the biggest benefits to this would be A. Getting people settled and on with their lives such as they are and B.  Eliminating this issue and thus freeing up resources to the rebuilding of NO (and yes, it will be rebuilt).  If anyone wants to move back in 2, 5 or 10 years, they can do it at their own expense.  Anyway, those are some of my thoughts…………..discuss among yourselves.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Within the next few days, the vast majority of the people left in NO will be moved out to “shelters” around the south.  There will be a lot of moaning and groaning and kicking and screaming but they will be out.  Since the “rebuilding” of the city will literally take years, these people will not be moving back.  The business and home owners will be ok.  Most have insurance that will cover their expenses and they will get back on their feet.  The problem will be with the children of the “Great Society”.  Those people who didn’t have anything before Katrina will obviously have nothing after.  As I see it, the REAL social danger lurking here is these people being basically dumped on a few cities indefinitely.  Cities like Houston and San Antonio etc. will be generous up to a point.  After their worlds begin to be adversely affected by the influx of these people, things could get ugly.  This is my long term fear.

Now for the solution:
As soon as possible, the Federal Govt needs to establish an accurate census of who these people are.  It shouldn’t be too hard to do as most are already in the system one way or another.  They then need to be establishing a database of cities and or areas around the country where there is available public housing and welfare programs.  Again, since the fed is already picking up a good portion of the tab for this welfare, it shouldn’t be hard to do.  Now…….go to all these people who have lost everything and have no ability to take care of themselves and give them choices of where they want to go and live…….permanently.  Give them enough money, housing vouchers, transportation to the area etc. and settle them.  We are going to have to pay for this eventually anyway so why not do it now instead of waiting for everyone involved to get pissed.  This solution will prevent all or most of these people from landing unfairly on the doorstep of just a few cities and thus help to diffuse a potential explosive situation(s).  The Fed can control how many people go where by controlling the number of available spots in each city.  Columbus can take 2000, Omaha can take 1500, Los Angeles can take 3500 etc etc.  First come, first serve.  Again, we are going to have to pay for this anyway why not do it now and on a controlled basis.

Perhaps the biggest benefits to this would be A. Getting people settled and on with their lives such as they are and B.  Eliminating this issue and thus freeing up resources to the rebuilding of NO (and yes, it will be rebuilt).  If anyone wants to move back in 2, 5 or 10 years, they can do it at their own expense.  Anyway, those are some of my thoughts…………..discuss among yourselves.

Palestine?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Man! you beat me to it.  I was going to suggest those recently vacated homes in Gaza.  Judging by what is going on in NO right now, it would actually be a safer neighborhood for those folks.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Send em' to Detroit, Boston and Berkely!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#5]
25k indigent, liberal democrat additions to San Antonio.

Wonderful.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
HELL NO.

Why burden us in the cities and counties that allready have too many folks

Look at areas that know body wants to live in
dropped in all of the double wides that are needed
start up new towns  in the wilds
wallmart can sponser the towns and use the refugees to work/shop the town.

we can call it NEW~NEW'oleans
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
25k indigent, liberal democrat additions to San Antonio.

Wonderful.  

Hey I live 10 minutes from the dome.....when you have a few thousand walking your streets then you have the right to complain
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Might not work, most of these are second and third genertation "children of society", other cities and states do not want them to drain the system further.

Here is another idea, put them to work in exchange for food and shelter!!!  Have them help in the rebuilding or relocation of New Orleans, and since they worked, they might appreciate the city more, and feel that they have ownership, and the "new" New Orleans might have a brighter and better future.  I know, it won't work either, someone will claim that it is slave labor...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top