Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 8:35:28 PM EDT

1 Hurricaine.  1 Major city completely devestated.  Another damaged, but still functioning.

The residents of the first city resorted to rape, robbery, assault, and maybe murder within 24 HOURS of the disaster.  And we're already talking about sending in regular troops to restore order!

What if the terrorists had stirred up shit right then by coincidince?  What if there were a couple of these kinds of disasters at the same time?  What if china or N. Korea had decided to move on the territory they've been eyeing for ages and figured a few surprise nukes on our major cities would give us plenty to worry about at home?

What if instead of 1 city like this, we had 6 or 8 major cities completely out of control?

Would the nation survive in it's present form?  Would our rights survive?

This whole disaster has proven to me that our country is just one heartbeat away from complete chaos.

Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I think citizens' militias would be formed very rapidly to deal with things.  Thats what happened back in the day before we became a nanny state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Believe me, I've been taking notes like crazy since this started.

Most of us here have already played the "what if" game many, many times in our heads.

We're now seeing it played out in Real Life and you can be damn sure that these lessons aren't lost on us.

It IS lost on about 90% of the sheeple that, even after seeing this horrid disaster unfold, will forget about it in the coming months and go right back to the same Head-Up-And-Locked-In-Ass mode that they live their entire lives in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Civilisation is only ever three meals from anarchy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
it does make us look weak to our enemies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The authorities were not prepared with meds, food and water. Why not have that on the way just as the storm is about to hit?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think citizens' militias would be formed very rapidly to deal with things.  Thats what happened back in the day before we became a nanny state.

Our cities are the targets and I have zero faith in the populations there doing anything to support this country. It will be anarchy and we will be on our own at some point in time. Are you ready ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This whole disaster has proven to me that our country is just one heartbeat away from complete chaos.

Plan accordingly.

I'm thinking the EXACT same thing...

See my thread ?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=385502
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife will never question my choice of weapons or 50,000 + rounds of ammo ever again, thanks to this event.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if we could handle the logistics of such a disaster or not. I am not well-versed in the capacities of FEMA/Red Cross/National Guard/etc. and what percentages of them are in NO right now, so I can't get a good feel for whether or not we could tough it out. I do, however, have a feeling that widespread panic/chaos accross the entire country would not be as bad as one might think:

Right now, NO is the only real disaster the nation has to focus on. Because of that, all the news media/people's attention in general is focused on it 24/7, and this creates a sense of a huge mega-disaster (not saying it isn't a disaster, of course). If we have 6 or 8 similar-sized disasters at the same time, each one gets that much less attention and therefore seems that much less of a disaster (when it is in fact very bad). 6 or 8 disasters combined then seems only about  two or three times as big a disaster as NO or 9/11, when in fact it is 6 or 8 times worse. That is why I don't think universal chaos accross both affected and unaffected portions of the country would be our undoing, IF the government/society in general had the means to supply the populace for it's basic needs.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My wife will never question my choice of weapons or 50,000 + rounds of ammo ever again, thanks to this event.

I wonder HOW MANY sheeple were converted this week, 30million, 50million?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Civilisation is only ever three meals from anarchy.

Very true.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Same here.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I look at these people on the news just standing their waiting or demanding that they be taken care of.  I work with a bunch of college educated people that can act the same way.  Example...I read that some companies in NO put a note on their web site that they were to call the office.  Now, if you were without power and communications how the hell would you ever get that message?

I think this country is like a gut shot deer.  It's dead but it hasn't dropped yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think this country is like a gut shot deer.  It's dead but it hasn't dropped yet.

Best observation yet by far. We are too dependent on every luxury we have indulged. I have gut shot a deer before and it lived awhile but eventually died in the end. Just gotta keep on keepin' on

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been thinking the same thing. Don't think for one second that our enemies aren't taking notes on this either. I'm sure they are watching how the situation unfolds as closely as any of us here.

It's really scary as hell to realize how totally unprepared this country is and how vulnerable we really are. We each have to prepare for ourselves and our own families and not expect to be taken care of.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've been thinking the same thing. Don't think for one second that our enemies aren't taking notes on this either. I'm sure they are watching how the situation unfolds as closely as any of us here.

It's really scary as hell to realize how totally unprepared this country is and how vulnerable we really are. We each have to prepare for ourselves and our own families and not expect to be taken care of.

A big +1!

Edited to add: I wonder if any city, state or nation would be capable of coping rapidly with a situation of this magnitude. I think so-called journalists and such, are not stressing the size of this disaster. They are concentrating on NO because of the violence and so forth.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm betting the answer is far far lower.  Most truely believe that "it can't happen to me".
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
... all's cool here man
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm betting the answer is far far lower.  Most truely believe that "it can't happen to me".

This was not in another country
it was right here in the USA
I know plenty of sheeple
I will ask a few if they have changed their minds
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
What if the levee was weakened by a domestic terrorist?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The authorities were not prepared with meds, food and water. Why not have that on the way just as the storm is about to hit?

The supplies were staged on the periphery of the disaster area. Unfortunately, when a Cat5 hurricane slams into the coast, it tends to block the roads.

You should also consider that in addition to the hurricane damage in New Orleans, there was also a flood. Two disasters back-to-back, PLUS armed gunmen roaming the streets and firing at rescuers at will tends to put a damper on rescue efforts.

I suppose it's easier to blame the government though, eh? They should've snapped their fingers and fixed all this magically.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
It certainly has been a good wake up call to many that there is still a segment of the American population that acts civilized ONLY because of the constraints our society puts on them.  With those constraints gone this segment quickly reverted back to an uncivilized nature no better than that of many elements in sub-Saharan Africa and other undeveloped areas.  Prior to this disaster and its aftermath, many Americans were living under the false presumption that Americans were better than that.  Unfortunately, many still will because they will ignore the obvious and blame industry/.gov/etc for the uncivilzed actions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#25]
... Enough of this woulda, shoulda, coulda shit - It's history now

... The policies and risk assessments just before the storm hit were those that the people choosing to live there accepted - no other excuses

... Period
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

This whole disaster has proven to me that our country world is just one heartbeat away from complete chaos.

Plan accordingly.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This can't happen everywhere.
The urban slums will always be one excuse away from Anarchy.
A tornado could plow through suburbia and people will get along just fine.
Put normal Americans in a NOLA situation and you aren't going to have the anarchy and violence you do now.
The only problem you have is when the Scum are mobile.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top