Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2001 11:07:16 AM EDT

July 18 Neal Knox Update No. 3  -- The Moran Amendment, requiring
records of approved NICS purchases to be kept at least 90 days, was
overwhelmingly defeated, 161-266 tonight.

My Congressman, Frank Wolf, chairman of the Commerce,
Justice, State and Judiciary Appropriations Subcommittee, led
the opposition (which was a bit of a surprise, and perhaps
indicating the amount of "encouragement" he's been getting).  

Rep. Wolf told the House that he had met with career
FBI officials who assured him that performance audits -- the
alleged reason for keeping the records -- could be conducted within
24 hours.

Two subsequent amendments by Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.),
one prohibiting funding for the United Nations, the other for UN
"peacekeeping" operations.  Rep. Paul noted the UN efforts to
impose international "gun control."

Both Paul amendments were stomped.
View Quote

The Anti-Gunners lost this issue by over 100 votes. What are the odds they will win on the AW Ban.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Big difference between this, and a sunset on AWs. I don't want to sound pessimistic. I prefer to call it "Guarded Optimism".
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll just stay in the "I'll belive it when I see it" camp.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I allways understood it that the Crime bill would end in 94 unless action was taken to renew it.  You guys are acting like they would have to vote to NOT extend it.  I dont think thats how it works.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The law will automatically "sunset" in September of 2004, unless it is renewed by the House and Senate.  Ignoring the bill would quite literally, kill it.  The question is, since this is two months before the next Presidential election, politically, can GWB afford to allow it to sunset?  Some think he cannot given the closeness of the recent election.  A lot can happen between now and then.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The unfortunate issue is the timing.  The democrats could easily bring massive attention to it during the elections which might force a presidential candidate to take the middle ground to avoid bad press, I would think the best chance is by securing its defeat in the House and easing the pressure off the President.
I wouldn't get your hopes up, this will be a much bigger issue than background checks or even the gun show "loophole".

Jk
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
i to will beleive it when I see it however, wouldn't it be great to again legally be able to put a flash suppressor and a telescoping stock on you m4's again. no more fuxed buttstick.

hey a guy can dream can't he.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've said it before and I will say it again,
It will go away BECAUSE it's an election year. The election of 00' proved that gun control was a suicidal issue for the democRATs and the "gun" voters critical for the right. That simple fact will keep the anti's heads down until at least after the election, worst case scenario, the ban goes away for 6months to a year, best case scenario by-by spawn of Sarah Brady.

Armed Scientist
[rail]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The law will automatically "sunset" in September of 2004, unless it is renewed by the House and Senate.
View Quote

There is the big if.  House and Senate must agree.  It cant be a presidential issue if it never reaches his desk. The Dems might be able to raise the bill, even squeek it through in the Senate, but get through the House?  That is a big if.  Republicans would have to do something really bad to loose enough seats next year in the House for it to not be squashed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Depending on the political climate at the time, it's entirely possible that now-legal items could be added to the bill through amendments thus making them illegal.
As if that weren't gloomy enough, there is an intervening election for the entire House and 1/3 of the Senate.  Generally, the party in power, in this case the Repubs, LOSES seats in such an election, eliminating the paper-thin majority of the Repubs in the House, and placing the Senate firmly in the hands of the Dems.  Don't expect the AW ban to sunset or go away anytime soon.  
View Quote

Your really digging there raf.

I doubt very many incumbants are going to loose this election.  Why should they?  Also this isnt a normal off year election- its the first year for redistricting according to the 2000 census.  The south and southwest gain seats, we gain two here in AZ, and the traditionally democratic great lakes and new england states loose a bunch of seats. Its highly unlikely that the majority of the new seats would go Democrat, most of the states they are moving to are republican controlled.  Right now here in Arizona the Republican leadership are actively trying to gerrymander the districts to ensure they are republican[:)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
This issue will not be hyped like the sunset of the 94 crime bill will be. We need to start now gathering info and stats on how un-affective this bill has been.

Get it in front of your representative now.
It will only happen if the politicians think it will get them votes, not if it will cost them votes. We need to send a message to DC.

Even the mainstream press admitted that gun owning Democrats cost Al Hore the election. This is the only reason things like this are being defeated.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Door Kicker:
This issue will not be hyped like the sunset of the 94 crime bill will be. We need to start now gathering info and stats on how un-affective this bill has been.

Get it in front of your representative now.
It will only happen if the politicians think it will get them votes, not if it will cost them votes. We need to send a message to DC.

Even the mainstream press admitted that gun owning Democrats cost Al Hore the election. This is the only reason things like this are being defeated.
View Quote

Actually the person who has all the best statistics and facts.... is our Attorney General, John Ashcroft.  There will be hearings, he will be called to speak at them. If he goes and lays out the stupidity and futility of trying to enforce these laws, along with the their questionable constitutionality (under the Governments new official policy towards the right to bear arms) and flawed design it would probably sway a lot of conservative Democrats.

We do need to keep reminding the Administration how much they owe their position to Americas gun owners...
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#14]
It is not just the number of seats gained and lost for each state. It is also how the seats shift within the states. Florida will gain 2 seats. But, from what I heard, the new seats will be in Seminole County and Little Havana. The Cubans are conservative, but aren't always behind us on gun control issues. But, Seminole County is extremely behind us. I know because I live there. Also, I've heard scuttlebutt that JEB Bush intends to eliminate a couple districts in South Florida and add a few in Conservative areas of Central Florida and the Panhandle. This could cost assholes such as Wexler and Duetsch their seats for the first time in History. The true number will be total seats gained/lost. This will include redistricting. In Florida, 2 Democrats could lose their seats and 4 Republicans could gain seats. Net Gain +6 for Republicans. Now states under Democratic control could redistrict, but they still will lose seats no matter what. For example, Democrats wanted to recount the census (I'm not kidding) here in Florida because people in Little Haiti and other Democratic areas of South Florida never filled out their census forms. States such as New York might try to negate their loses by shifting districts to N.Y.C. and away from the Mountains. Overall, Republicans enjoy contol of a whopping majority of the states. And, there's not much you can do when all your seats are taken by Democrats already a la Parts of New England. Overall, 2002 will see a major shift to Republicans in the House. The Senate is another question all together. Traitors such as Jeffords (Republican --> Independent) and McCain (Still Technically a Republican) might get voted out. No person who has left the Republican Party has won re-election. Most Democrats who became Republicans won re-election a la Strom Thurmond (States Rights --> Democrat --> Republican) and Ronald Reagan (Democrat --> Republican).
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Due to the results of the 2000 Census, the States that Bush won in the election will gain 10 extra seats in the House, while those carried by Gore will lose 10 seats.

God bless the Founding Fathers!

Eric The('Huzza,Huzza')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
If it does sunset then What will all the guys who spent $600 on a pre ban lower do. Now anyone with a $100 lower will be equal. If it does sunset I think I will go out and buy a couple of lowers right away just in case. Can always use them later.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope the fed AW ban does sunset, along with magazine capacity limits, but what about all the states that inacted state versions?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hope the fed AW ban does sunset, along with magazine capacity limits, but what about all t
he states that inacted state versions?
View Quote

well the mag limit is part of the AW law

the real edge sitter will be the 2002 election we really need to kick ass and take names in 2002
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

well the mag limit is part of the AW law

the real edge sitter will be the 2002 election we really need to kick ass and take names in 2002
View Quote
If we are going to KICK ASS, We need to start [size=6]NOW!![/size=6], not six months B4 the election.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 2:37:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I would love for a sunset on the AW ban, but I will believe it when I see it happen.

Phoenix5 is right, you need to fight now, not right before the election.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it does sunset then What will all the guys who spent $600 on a pre ban lower do. Now anyone with a $100 lower will be equal. If it does sunset I think I will go out and buy a couple of lowers right away just in case. Can always use them later.
View Quote

I wouldn't complain a bit.  I'd just have 3 "pre-bans" instead of one![:D]
And, like you, I'd probably buy several more "while it lasted."
[heavy]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hope the fed AW ban does sunset, along with magazine capacity limits, but what about all the states that inacted state versions?
View Quote

They will have to be taken down in court, depending on the ruling from the Emerson case, they could become grounds for a civil rights case against the respective states.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top