Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 6:04:16 PM EDT
Just heard that on CNN. Some precincts have lost 60% of their officers who just didn't show up. I wish I could go down there and pitch in. They should start deputizing volunteers. I'd be there in a New York minute.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
They should start deputizing volunteers. I'd be there in a New York minute.

They are Deputizing sworn LEO's from any state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember seeing somewhere today that armed citiczens are patrolling with police.l
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Any contact information for this?  Links?
Thx-
~m38a1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Like I've said before, if theyd deputize me, and find away to work with my employer so that I wouldn't incur a loss of income (money is not as loose as I'd like), I'd be there instantly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just heard that on CNN. Some precincts have lost 60% of their officers who just didn't show up. I wish I could go down there and pitch in. They should start deputizing volunteers. I'd be there in a New York minute.

I dont think you know what you're asking. If CNN's right, then the regular cops are bugging out even with tons of OT to be made. In fact, they're probably abdandoning their careers. The situation must be pretty fucking bad.  You'd volunteer to keep order in that hole for FREE?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go.

If they put me on the streets with my M4
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think you know what you're asking. If CNN's right, then the regular cops are bugging out even with tons of OT to be made. In fact, they're probably abdandoning their careers. The situation must be pretty fucking bad.  You'd volunteer to keep order in that hole for FREE?

Society doesn't survive or fall based on the actions of evil men. Society survives or falls based on the actions of good men.

I submitted my FEMA paperwork this afternoon. Waiting to find out if I'm selected for the first deployment. Anyone who has to ask why I'm volunteering to go wouldn't understand the answer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Gone are the days when a Sheriff could deputize any adult that he trusted for even emergencys.  Now to avoid being sued they have to have extensive training.  

It is a great policy to hire trained people when the situation is normal but in this atmosphere I would just want someone honest that could pull a trigger.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you got information about that?  I might be able to break away for a few days.

We are sending approx 50 guys and our Haz mat teams down.

ETA: U.S. Capitol Police
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Society doesn't survive or fall based on the actions of evil men. Society survives or falls based on the actions of good men.

I submitted my FEMA paperwork this afternoon. Waiting to find out if I'm selected for the first deployment. Anyone who has to ask why I'm volunteering to go wouldn't understand the answer.

Truer words have never been spoken.

My hats off to you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#12]
They say that the cops are on their own for food and water.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
If your an existing LEO, try this link on ARFCOM for contact info....

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=31&t=209054

~m38a1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a heartbeat!

Unfortunately, I'm not an LEO.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's some scoop
www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=25769

The following information is intended for active duty law enforcement officers only. This bulletin comes from Chuck Canterbury, National President of the Fraternal Order of Police, and is published here with the permission of the Grand Lodge of the F.O.P.

The Sheriff of St. Charles Parish Louisiana, the home parish of Patrick Yoes, has made arrangements for out of town agencies that would like to assist in the hurricane-stricken Region in and around New Orleans.

Officers who would like to assist must meet the following criteria:

Officers must have agency approval from their home agency.
Officers must have all necessary law enforcement equipment including a police vehicle.
Must be self contained for basic needs such as water and food.

The Sheriff's Office will have a shelter for sleeping but it will be very basic and will not have air conditioning. There may be some power from generators later, but there is none at this time.

St. Charles Parish is just west of Jefferson Parish and is adjacent to New Orleans.

Officers will need to bypass New Orleans and enter St. Charles Parish via Interstate 55. Officers should report to Destrehan High School in St.Charles Parish.

There is limited phone service and the number we have for St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office is 985-783-5050

If you need additional information please email me at [email protected] and I will get the information to you. Please also send me an email if you have officers who plan to go to Louisiana.

This is an F.O.P. sponsored relief effort and DC Lodge 1 will be sending their mobile kitchen. The Capitol Police has agreed to send a detachment of officers in the next few days.

ETA:
Color
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and you are a good man.

(stay safe and we'll look forward to after action reports - my next EMT classes start Wed - should the next time happen perhaps I will be able to do more)

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Not me, guns are dangerous
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget that officers have families and homes, there is a grey area when the wind howls over a certain mph, how much damage is incurred, maybe some officers were killed by Katrina, maybe some evacuated and are getting their families situated. I am sure the bosses are trying their best to get in touch with missing officers....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm starting to think the State of LA is the problem here.

It was just reported on TV that 22 Deputies from the area of Leesburg Virginia volunteered to go. They contacted the State Police in LA and were told not to come. CNN called the same agency, IIRC, and got a totally different answer. Looks like there isn't much coordination at the state level.

However, it was reported that the barriers have been removed and they want all the help they can get.

Those officers that choose to go, have my deepest admiration.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I think there was a group from Houston PD that left yesterday.  I've heard that some Dallas officers are there as well, but I don't have confirmation.  I know they've got a metric buttload of DPS and Wardens.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#22]

"including a police vehicle"
that's gonna make it alot harder for LEO's to assist, at least without full and finacial support of their current dept.

Yep, that eliminates me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you got information about that?  I might be able to break away for a few days.

Came over the teletype to our SHeriff's Office today that they'll take any deputies/officers they can get and they will be deputized to enforce the laws of the STate of Louisiana.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think there was a group from Houston PD that left yesterday.  I've heard that some Dallas officers are there as well, but I don't have confirmation.  I know they've got a metric buttload of DPS and Wardens.

With what I've seen that we're importing they better stay right here in Texas.  Better yet, we need someone to watch the border while the Border Patrol is in LA.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With what I've seen that we're importing they better stay right here in Texas.  Better yet, we need someone to watch the border while the Border Patrol is in LA.

Affirm.  My wife's school has already gotten several critters from there.  Some of the other officers in my county (next to the Metromess) have been hearing about getting overflow.  I think our SO got the telex from LSP too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top