Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2001 10:58:56 AM EDT
Thunderbirds out front, just came in, C-141 sitting, C-5 sitting, 3 AT-6 landed a little while ago, Shaun Tucker been in town for 3 days. I just stand outside and watch the flights
thursday and friday, go in on sat or sunday.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
SBR7/11, you are one [size=4][b]LUCKY[/b][size=4] individual!!!

I'd love to be at the Dayton International Airshow!!  That's one of the big ones for our country.  Of course, Oshkosh is the biggest, but Dayton is great too!

Enjoy the show!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Since '93, I walk outside into our lot and look across the street and watch. At lunch I'll go over to the General Aviation area and sit outside the service gate and watch the tarmac where all the planes sit for static display. The Thunderbirds came in a little while ago, and regular aircraft were sitting at end of the runway here waiting till they got done blasting our lot and runways. Nothing going on right now, been quiet over there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Know how you feel we walk outside at the in-laws house and sit in the pool and watch the airshow. Its great.  But the best seats ever were when my dad was a firefighter for WPAFB and I was a little kid and I would get to sit on the top of the crash trucks right off the flight line. Those old F-100 SuperSabers and F4 Phantoms come streaking over your head - holy shit. UNBELIEVABLE.   Thats what made me go in the Air Force. And I still go to the show every year.

Where are you at in Vandalia?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
right at the end of the short runway on RT 40, across from the ATA shooting grounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
i envy you in dayton. went down to oceana couple years ago to see a show. my buddy was fire chief. sat on flight line with crash trucks. i don't know who was more exited. myself or my 11 year old son. maybe i will climb up on my roof here in newark and try to see something. right! wish i could be there.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
So your right there by Smedleys
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Dave, yes, Toyota.

Snook, you're maybe 2 hr + a little across 70. Take 70 west to exit 32 to RT 40, you are there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#8]
i have been there a few times. picked up some junk at drmo for the city of newark. i have a question for you guys. is it worth the drive from here to go to the dayton gun show? hilliard is probably the biggest one i have been to. thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Its not a bad show. It seems the show is better in the winter. More booths and products. I live so close its not that big of a deal for me to drive 15 minutes to get there. They have good deals on parts, ammo, and accessories. I saw new Thermolds for $30 and Orlites for $25 - that's crazy. I think the prices for guns is way to high also. We have gone to the show looked at a gun then went to the local gun store and got it cheaper. Not to say there are not any deals on guns, you have to look really hard to find them - but mostly people are asking way to much. Of course that's my opinion. But we do go back every month just hoping to find that deal of the century.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#10]
If, you are near the show, and have access to a good scanner, you can listen to the pilots communicate.  My partner lives near where the airshow is in dayton, and every year brings in tapes of the comms. It's pretty cool.
Airborne
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
used to take scanner to work, but difficult to find "show control". Sometimes you need the "better"scanner w/ the Military freq's. Today at lunch time we sat in the main entrance on Dixie (security would not let us back towards Steven's aviation or McCaulley propeller, I will have a pass tomorrow), an A-10
was showing off, later the Thunderbirds went up, but the ceiling was WAY low, no real show, started raining. B1B made a few passes around 3pm?.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
c'mon guys. how about an update on the show!! i bet it is 120 degrees on that concrete. hope the rain holds off for you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Durn, I saw the Airshow signs as I was on my way to the gun show. I had left my camera at home or else might have gone over. Where can one get the schedule in order to plan an attendance? I've always wanted to go but find out the day after!

The Dayton (compared to Hilliard) show is more AW (err.. sport utility rifle) oriented. Most of the dealers are Ind. or KY which you don't usually see at Hilliard. The ammo prices are usually better but gun prices are often high. Model1 and J&T have tables here. Deals are out there but you have to really hunt for them. Same goes for Hilliard but different!
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I did not go today, I put my summer tires on today in the driveway, 10am and I am roasting. Watched most of the show on tv (WHIO broadcasts live on Sat, 12:30-5:00). Will be going tomorrow, have a pass to park almost at the gate, park and walk 100yd into the show. It was really humid and hot today. We did have a jet fly over the house this afternoon at a low level, pretty loud and fast, did'nt get to see it when I ran out the door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top