Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 5:04:51 PM EDT
Local gas stations are running out of gas.  Out of the ten gas stations in the surrounding 4miles all are out of gas...save one who has premium only at 3.79 a gallon.

fifteen miles away...same predicament...one gas station has premium gas.

What happens if this problem continues for a week? a month?

Folks, I hate to be an alarmest, but hypothetically speaking, those who are in the lower third socio-economic tier won't be able to afford to buy gas to power their cars in order to get to work.

Jobs are lost...the (ex)working man gets pissed...and has to do SOMETHING (I'll leave it to you to fill in the details) for food, water, shelter.

Hate to be a conspiracy theorist/ paranoid delusional flake, but this scenario is very real now.

What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
... I'd say you're spot on
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]

What are your thoughts?

Your a delusional, parinoid conspiricy flake.

But I have no idea why Tennesse should be running out of gas.  I find it hard to beleve that someplace that far north gets its gas overland from Louisiana instead inland from North or South Carolina ports... Is there such a pipeline from the West to the Mid-South?

West of the Mississippi fuel prices have gone up 40 cents but there are no lines or shortages.

One new sight here in Phoenix though is a small, but surprising, number of gas stations/convinence stores that have just decided to stop buying gas.  Say the margins are so squeezed they are just shutting down their pumps.  They get all their profit from the store side or so they claim... they say the gas pumps are a loss leader that they cant afford right now...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I see your point and raise you this....today in Stockton, Ca where there is no natural disaster, save for immigration, a friend of mine paid $5.50 per gallon!I am lucky to  live about 3 miles from work and drive an import but thats fucked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
It was only a few days ago that people on this board were saying if you don't like the price of gas, don't buy it.

Free market economy supply and demand and all that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Dallas is out of gas.

My wife went to 3 stations just north of downtown, all were empty. Price for 87 was $2.99.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Well according to (ms) gov. barbour today the filling station in collins (south of halfway between jackson and hattiesburg, on hwy 49 going toward the coast) up and running again, and they're shipping out fuel north of south from there.  Hopefully that will help things a little here in MS, but damn it's bad down here!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Prices went up big time today, but I filled my stash up anyhoo.  6 five gallon cans at $2.79 (finishe up as the attendant was about to adjust the sign over $3)  in addition to the tank itself.  

I normally like to have 30 or so stabil'd gallons around for good measure, but I had neglected it this year.  It's not like you won't use it, so the only "extra" investment is the Stabil plus the pain in the ass of filling, storing, then using the cans.

Tomorrow I'm going to get my winters 20 gallons of Kerosene (heat pumps are still primary).  My friends laugh at my willingness to stash and use, but who's the first one they call?  The fact is, that some years ago during one of our large ice storms, I witnessed a near riot over the last few quarts of Kerosene available in the normally well off and well behaved West End of Richmond.  And ounce of prevention...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]
duplicate topic - 25 gas threads in the last 24 hours
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top