Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 12:11:27 PM EDT
Sounds like a T6 (AF UPT trainer). Looks like Vance AFB in OK?

Say you say 'cool under pressure'? Damn.........

media.putfile.com/050811_BirdStrike
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen that one.  What crappy luck.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Professional cool heads.

Gotta dig it.

I hope they had two good chutes.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been at Vance since Aug 2004.  We received our first T-6 around March 2005.  No mishaps in the T-6s at Vance as of yet.   (Edit, the area in the footage isn't Vance or our auxiliary airfield)

One of my buds from college just got done with T-6s at Laughlin AFB in TX, I'll ask him if that's a T-6.  Standby for more on that.

The only noteworthy T-6 mishap that I've heard of was the crew of two IPs from Moody AFB that were showboating for some friends/family in Florida, and if I recall, they were still feeling the effects from partying the night before.       I also found an article on google about a T-6 that landed gear up at Moody.  Nothing on birdstrikes, but that's not to say it didn't happen.

Interesting video clip though.

Edit:  It sounds like they were "Viking 2" and they used "Eject Eject Eject" to punch out.  When I was in the T-37 Tweet (which is USAF), we used "Bailout Bailout Bailout."  One of my classmates who was a WSO on B-1s said that they used the "Bailout" command as well.  I'm guessing that maybe this was a Naval T-6.

Last Edit    Good job phatmax
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
That is intense. Hope they landed okay.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, was that a Bitching Betty after the alarms? Sounds like they have a C3PO Bitching Betty!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
looks like Moody.   My Dad fueled T-33s and F-86 there in the late 50's

ETA not Moody..... Canada (in the video you can see the nose probe.)
linky

This is actual cockpit video of a Hawk jet in Canada doing a touch and go and as it's accelerating through about 230 Knots, they get a birdstrike in the engine. The T6NL warning comes on and the instructor immediately trades airspeed for height and gets the student to attempt a relight. Unsuccessful, so he asks the student if he's ready to abandon, he radios the tower then both eject.

Very professional instructor.

Both survived although the instructor received serious spinal injuries and the student minor injuries.

POST CRASH PHOTO and investigation

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top