Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 11:24:24 AM EDT
What do you guys know about portable type/hand pump water filters? They supposedly filter out bacteria and such. Who has them in their SHTF pack? Who uses them camping? Any experience with one? Brand? Suggestions for which one to buy? What to look for in picking one out?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
popular topic in Survival Forum

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, MSR Mini Works.  Stock up on iodine tablets too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The Survival Forum…

It's not just for tin foil anymore.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#5]
DUH! Sometimes (all the time) I forget about the specific discussion forums around here.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The Survival Forum…

After looking at the post count
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The Survival Forum…

Hey, we resemble that comment!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The Survival Forum…

I have never thought that.

What sucks is that with all the preparations I have, a hurricane could render them useless. Good thing I don't live on the coast.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Just remember, a FILTER is not a PURIFIER.

<---- Tin-foil wearer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The Survival Forum…

What sucks is that with all the preparations I have, a hurricane could render them useless. Good thing I don't live on the coast.

what about twisters??
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The Survival Forum…

what about twisters??

Don't make me dig a storm shelter........

Damn, now you done it. How much does a storm shelter cost?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
They all work, from that Culligan Straw filter up.  

I have used a friends Sweetwater and I have another type.

Katadyn is great, even the filter type.

Just try to find the cleanest water, little sediment, to prevent clogging, and don't use them on salt water
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two Katadyn Hiker filters, with spare filter elements.  Total outlay for this was only around  $135 +/-.

Also keep various brands of water purification tablets around.  Wal-Mart normally carries the stuff in their camping section.

Drinkable water is a much more immediate concern than food is...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have two Katadyn Hiker filters, with spare filter elements.  Total outlay for this was only around  $135 +/-.

Also keep various brands of water purification tablets around.  Wal-Mart normally carries the stuff in their camping section.

Drinkable water is a much more immediate concern than food is...

Yeah, I have the same setup (although only one Hiker, with a few spare filters).  You can go without food for 2+ weeks but you cannot go without water for more than a few days!

I have used the Hiker in camping situations.  I like the Hiker because the filter is fairly compact and the output valve fits directly into a Nalgene bottle, so no spillage.  The Hiker is NOT a purifier so do like GySgtD said and buy some purification tablets.  You can also buy purifiers but I have never used one.  The Hiker has always worked well for me.

At home, I also rotate a few 5 gallon containers of spring water.  They're very cheap and easily available at supermarkets.  They will store in cool dark places for over a year but to keep them fresh, just use one every so often and replace it with a new one.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI, modern water filters DO purify... Most don't filter viruses but that's only a problem if you are filtering next to a cattle farm or slaughter house. They work..

For total SHTF filtering in a portable filter, the First Need will do it all and the Katadyn Pocket will last longer than irradiated cockroaches.

Dave

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top