Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 10:02:27 AM EDT
BLOG LINK

Also, does the Posse Comitatus rule prevent the active duty military from going in?

WTF is going on?  Why ISN'T our active duty military in there like this guy is asking?

Nursing home & hospitals are being attacked by gangs.  People are crying on the phone - afraid of nightfall.

Interdictor's plea:

"In case anyone in national security is reading this, get the word to President Bush that we need the military in here NOW. The Active Duty Armed Forces. Mr. President, we are losing this city. I don't care what you're hearing on the news. The city is being lost. It is the law of the jungle down here. The command and control structure here is barely functioning. I'm not sure it's anyone's fault -- I'm not sure it could be any other way at this point. We need the kind of logistical support and infrastructure only the Active Duty military can provide. The hospitals are in dire straights. The police barely have any capabilities at this point. The National Guard is doing their best, but the situation is not being contained. I'm here to help in anyway I can, but my capabilities are limited and dropping. Please get the military here to maintain order before this city is lost."

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I think military intervention requires martial law?  Going that direction is scary.

It should be handled by their police and MORE volunteers, from other states if needed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think military intervention requires martial law?  Going that direction is scary.

It should be handled by their police and MORE volunteers, from other states if needed.

+1..

Active duty guys can go in in a few days and back up the Guard..

If it is that bad, Give another 72 hours to Rescue and Recovery and leave the city to the sea.

Im not trying to sound like a asshole, I know it does sound like it, But that is life.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The Posse Com is about to be over rode by President Bush.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]
They are sending in 4200 MP's over the next 3 days.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The fat lady will be in the third encore by that point.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Martial Law was declared locally - I'm guessing that's not enough?

Would the President need to declare NATIONAL martial law to send the troops into just one part of the country?

Foggy on the rules - any clarification is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Where are the STATE POLICE???

Doing Drunk Driving checkpoints?   Giving out speeding tickets?

WTF?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Where are the STATE POLICE???

Doing Drunk Driving checkpoints?   Giving out speeding tickets?

WTF?

LEO resources are being stretched way thin. They are having to provide security in all the outer areas. They are already starting to cause problems in the refugee areas.

AL is sending LEO's to LA to back them up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#9]
pix from the blog site

http://sigmund.biz/kat/index.html

Wild West down there it would appear...

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Matrial Law was declared three days ago in N.O.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yup.  People are just so impatient.  It takes time to respond sufficiently to a disaster of this scale.  And the "good citizens" that ignored the evacuation orders certainly aren't helping things.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Personnel from PD's around the country need to be volunteered and airlifted in to settle this situation. If every decent size city paid for one cop to go...we would have it covered.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My cousin (wife's cousin so I guess he's my cousin) is an MP stationed at FT Polk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Personnel from PD's around the country need to be volunteered and airlifted in to settle this situation. If every decent size city paid for one cop to go...we would have it covered.

Essayons

To big a mess for that.  We need a division.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Essayons

They are doing that now. LEO's from AL are being sent to LA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Where does he ask for supplies and ACP?

I've been riveted to the guy's blog since Tuesday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
pix from the blog site

http://sigmund.biz/kat/index.html

Wild West down there it would appear...

Tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Scroll down a bit - in the building's shopping list for supplies he lists .45 ACP.

He's also stated that they are all armed - however, he hasn't mentioned that they've expended any ammo.  Maybe they just didn't have much to begin with.

Considering all the local gun stores were looted, I can see why he would want more...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Ive got 45ACP but Im not there, I got alot more 223 in mags then I did the other day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
BLOG LINK

Also, does the Posse Comitatus rule prevent the active duty military from going in?

WTF is going on?  Why ISN'T our active duty military in there like this guy is asking?

Nursing home & hospitals are being attacked by gangs.  People are crying on the phone - afraid of nightfall.

Interdictor's plea:

"In case anyone in national security is reading this, get the word to President Bush that we need the military in here NOW. The Active Duty Armed Forces. Mr. President, we are losing this city. I don't care what you're hearing on the news. The city is being lost. It is the law of the jungle down here. The command and control structure here is barely functioning. I'm not sure it's anyone's fault -- I'm not sure it could be any other way at this point. We need the kind of logistical support and infrastructure only the Active Duty military can provide. The hospitals are in dire straights. The police barely have any capabilities at this point. The National Guard is doing their best, but the situation is not being contained. I'm here to help in anyway I can, but my capabilities are limited and dropping. Please get the military here to maintain order before this city is lost."

I think it only p[revents them from taking on an active Law Enforcement roll.  But does allow for Militry support.  The USCG can actively participate as a LE entity as Posse Comitatus does not apply to them.  Any Petty Officer 3rd class(NCO) or person of a higher rank is considered a Federal Law Enforcement Officer.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#21]

He will need a whole lot more than just 45 ACP ammo.

Also check this out:

216.22.26.45:8002/listen.pls

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Does anyone else think this is Pandora’s Box?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Congressional commentary on Posse Comitatus

The Posse Comitatus Act, 18 USC S.1385:Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The Posse Comitatus Act, 18 USC S.1385:Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

But you could use the Marine Corps from what I remember.  Is that correct?

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
BLOG LINK

Interdictor's plea:

WOW, when the day arrives & order is restored, I fully expect 1000's of NOLA citizens will never live another day without being fully armed.

Read the BLOG folks, SHTF as real as it gets.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#26]
wow at the pics on that site
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you could use the Marine Corps from what I remember.  Is that correct?

Bigfeet

I suppose so, from its plain language.

As for the tinfoil hatted chowderhead nonsense about Bush overriding the Act, if federal troops are sent in, it will be pursuant to one of the several statutes EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZING their deployment IN ACCORDANCE WITH the Posse Comitatus Act. Apparently the hurricane dumped a load of dipshit spores in the water outside NO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow, that was a hell of a read.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Blog

Calling for A Volunteer
Until the OC3s come back, we need to lower our load. We're looking to transfer the Katrina pictures offsite. If someone is willing to give us FTP access and can host them for us, we'd appreciate it. No idea how much it is... probably a lot.

Also, at this point, I can only respond to mission critial Instant Messages. I sincerely, SINCERELY apologize. I want you all to know that all your kind words and support and offers for help are GREATLY appreciated. I can not emphasize that enough. Please do not take it personally if your IM does not get a response. PLEASE.

Can anybody help them out with the server space?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
wow at the pics on that site

Unbelievable.....reminds me of reading BHD.

"The trash littered the streets.."

Look at the pics from this guy's blogs.  It looks like roving gangs in technicals.

Well maybe not that bad but who are the good, who are the bad.  I already seen the ugly?!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Only the idiots who don't understand what Posse Comitatus is and what it does.  In a nutshell it only prevents LOCAL COMMANDERS from helping LEOS, but if the Commander in Chief says it's OK to help its perfectly fine.  Been done MANY MANY times over the last 100 years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, they can use the Marine, Navy, and SOCCOM because they are exempted from Posse Comitatus.  Coast Guard is under DHS, and can be used also.

The MP that are sent belong to National Guards, and they are belong to the States, under the command of the State's govenor, not a violation of Posse Comitatus Act.

Now the regular and reserve Army and Air Force have to comply with the Act.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#34]
If you have stayed in city after an evacuation order, why should you expect ANY support?  The fact that there is any at all is indicative of how much is being done.  I personally would be much less generous.  The authorities down there have their hands full without needing to conduct such massive rescue and humanitiarian operations.

Besides, I think we should pull our troops out of New Orleans, it is obviously a quagmire, and NO BLOOD FOR OIL!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

I don't........if you look back at andrew there was active duty from ft.stewart, and other divisions went down there to provide augmentation to local authorities, and other support.

the military is the only part of the federal gov't that is a self sustaining enity..........they can go anywhere and bring generators, hosptials, etc.... they are basically a city that can travel anywhere and be operationall withint a very short period of time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Martial Law was declared locally - I'm guessing that's not enough?

Would the President need to declare NATIONAL martial law to send the troops into just one part of the country?

Foggy on the rules - any clarification is appreciated.

Ike and Little Rock in '57. IIRC, just a local zone. Federalized the AR NG (Faubus was using them to block court order) and sent 1000 or so 101st to back them up.

Army should have been in ASAP. Shoot a few the rest will scoot. Save a lot of lives in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Essayons

well I was talking 50 police from each state (on average)..thats 2500 LEO's...

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yes, they can use the Marine, Navy, and SOCCOM because they are exempted from Posse Comitatus.  Coast Guard is under DHS, and can be used also.

The MP that are sent belong to National Guards, and they are belong to the States, under the command of the State's govenor, not a violation of Posse Comitatus Act.

Now the regular and reserve Army and Air Force have to comply with the Act.

Posse Comitatus

(4) Nevertheless, by its express terms, the Posse Comitatus Act is not a complete barrier to the use of the Armed Forces for a range of domestic purposes, including law enforcement functions, when the use of the Armed Forces is authorized by Act of Congress or the President determines that the use of the Armed Forces is required to fulfill the President’s obligations under the Constitution to respond promptly in time of war, insurrection, or other serious emergency.

Ya know, I may be crazy, but I always though the Army and the Air Force were part of the Armed Forces. I don't see any specific language in there that specifically names SOCOM, the US Navy, or the US Marine Corps as being okay to use while specifically prohibiting the use of the US Army or US Air Force.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Essayons

well I was talking 50 police from each state (on average)..thats 2500 LEO's...

Essayons

I saw a number that an estimated 10% of the population still in NO was the violent looter gangster types.

If the remaining population was 100,000 people, that means there's an armed force of 10,000 criminals roving the streets right this very moment.

2,500 cops?? I don't think you want those odds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#41]
+1 SemperParatusEmt . This was mentioned at one of the latest local broadcasts.  1400 NG MPs added each day for the next 3 three days.  NO pd is about 1400 normal strength.  Someone is about to be owned.   wafb.com and/or wbrz.com for some local reports
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
sigmund.biz/kat/index.html

Hot

But broken

They took the photo server down to conserve bandwidth.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#44]
tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Ya know, I may be crazy, but I always though the Army and the Air Force were part of the Armed Forces. I don't see any specific language in there that specifically names SOCOM, the US Navy, or the US Marine Corps as being okay to use while specifically prohibiting the use of the US Army or US Air Force.

Military Coverage
Navy and Marines. The Posse Comitatus Act proscribes use of the Army or the
Air Force to execute the law. It says nothing about the Navy, the Marine Corps, the Coast
Guard, or the National Guard. The courts have generally held that the Posse Comitatus
Act by itself does not apply to the Navy or the Marine Corps. They maintain, however,
that those forces are covered by similarly confining administrative and legislative
supplements, which appear in the Department of Defense (DoD) Directive.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top