Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 9:46:11 AM EDT
NBC sends armed guards to lawless Gulf Coast

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - NBC News has sent private security personnel to the increasingly dicey Gulf Coast region to help keep its employees safe while covering the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The private security officers, usually former soldiers or police, are licensed to carry firearms and are trained to keep the situation under control so that journalists can do their jobs safely. That's becoming increasingly difficult in New Orleans and in Gulfport, Miss., where there aren't enough police or National Guardsmen to keep the streets safe.

News crews have witnessed looting and other crimes as well as lots of gunfire in the days since Hurricane Katrina swept through Monday. Supplies of food, water and fuel are nearly nonexistent, and, in the 90-plus-degree heat, tempers have grown short. CBS News reported that gangs of gun-toting looters were roaming the streets; several television networks reported that New Orleans was pulling 1,500 police from the search-and-rescue mission to deal with looting and lawlessness in the streets.

"We've never been in a situation domestically like this, where the populace has been cut off from the rest of the world and there's no food and water," NBC News vp newsgathering David Verdi said.

It's not unusual for networks to hire security forces. Armed personnel accompany news crews in Iraq and Afghanistan; they've been used domestically for situations like the Los Angeles riots in 1992, when dozens of people were killed and hundreds injured. But NBC News is the first to publicly acknowledge that it had taken such a step.

Other networks either declined to discuss security or said the situation hadn't risen to that level yet. But late Wednesday, CBS News had been advised by New Orleans police to leave its location after a special "48 Hours" because it couldn't guarantee the crew's safety after dark.

There were no reports of journalists being injured, but Verdi said he didn't want to take that chance. He believes having the security will help with safety.

"In this instance, I truly believe just having a security presence will keep us safe," Verdi said. "I don't anticipate any sort of confrontation in any of our locations."

Fox News vp newsgathering John Stack acknowledged that safety was an issue and said that Fox News is taking measures against not only possible crime but also the lack of food, water and threat of diseases. He noted that many Gulf Coast residents hadn't eaten or gotten fresh water in three days.

"I don't know how much longer that they can be expected to stay calm. These people have gone through a lot," Stack said. "But we're certainly hoping that appropriate relief kicks in before that becomes an issue."

Extra National Guard troops will help stabilize the situation, particularly in New Orleans, said Jon Banner, executive producer of ABC's "World News Tonight."

"It's something our teams are aware of, and we're taking some precautions," Banner said. He said ABC News never talks about details of security matters.

Meanwhile, the broadcast and cable networks continued to pour more resources into the Gulf Coast. CBS News had at least 10 correspondents in the region, including three who arrived Wednesday. That doesn't include CBS Newspath and CBS Radio correspondents that also are there, CBS News senior vp Marcy McGinnis said.

McGinnis doesn't see the story coming to a close anytime soon, either.

"No one knew that the aftermath, rather than being a second-day story, would get worse and worse," McGinnis said. "The worst hasn't happened yet. The story hasn't peaked yet."

Jack Womack, senior vp newsgathering at Atlanta-based CNN, agreed.

"This one is a marathon. It's going to go for a long time," Womack said Wednesday.

News organizations have had to rely on techniques and technologies normally used in wartime and usually not in the U.S. Cell phone service has been sporadic at best, and electricity is out in many places and not coming back anytime soon. Satellite trucks have been the only reliable communication system, and correspondents and crews are out of touch for hours and days at a time. A lot of transportation in New Orleans is via boat.

"This compares to absolutely nothing that we've ever done before, and we've been here 20 years," Womack said. "It's so enormous, so devastating. It's hard enough to tell that story. But it's like a military operation in terms of our people and our supply lines."

For CNN, that meant getting help from Turner Broadcasting and CNN International, both based in Atlanta. CBS News, in addition to its own efforts, got supplies from its owned-and-operated station in Miami, WFOR. The station sent two carloads of gasoline, food and water from Miami to the Gulf Coast, McGinnis said.

"The situation that is affecting the communities that we are operating in is affecting us," ABC's Banner said. "The fuel shortages, the water shortages, the lack of sleeping space is something that we're all dealing with."

There's also the question of disease, with heat, toxicity in the water and decomposing bodies causing health issues. McGinnis said she is concerned that health would be a big problem sooner rather than later with the long hours and lack of sleep and food that the crews are facing.

CNN already is working on plans to move some of its crews out and newer, fresher crews into the region.

"These people, they've been around there since Saturday, around the clock," Womack said. "We're going to look at a second wave (of personnel)."

Networks reported another day of on-again, off-again technology. Satellite trucks worked well, but in some cases, the all-news channels were forced to use lower-quality videophone pictures in and around New Orleans even on Wednesday. Fox News' Stack said the videophone doesn't get used often in the U.S. because there's always high-quality video production equipment nearby.

"That's the uniqueness of this story. We're in the southeastern part of the U.S., but we might as well be in a Third World country," Stack said.

Stack said the on-air staff gets credit but the behind-the-scenes people, particularly satellite truck operators, should too.

"The units they command are mini production centers, the communications centers both audio and visual. They provide power with their generators," Stack said. "They are the lifeblood of our medium, and that's the way that we communicate to our audience and back to our network."

Banner, McGinnis, Stack and the other executives say that what they've got to deal with is minor compared to the bigger picture.

"What's happening to us is nothing. It's a blip compared to the tragedy that has occurred," Banner said. "We do the best that we can, and we try to stay focused on the real nature of the disaster, which is an unimaginable horror for tens of thousands of people who are homeless or who have lost loved ones."

Reuters/VNU
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
BOHICA
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Wonder if Blackwater and Dynacorp will pick up some contracts in NOLA
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wonder if Blackwater and Dynacorp will pick up some contracts in NOLA

Naw, it's probably safer and less stressful in Baghdad!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I do hope they realize the irony of this juxtaposed with their anti-gun stance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They won't - just like the liberal Senators with armed guards
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I doubt it.  Did Rosie or that Fat fuck Michael Moore see the irony?  NO!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
"In this instance, I truly believe just having a security presence will keep us safe," Verdi said. "I don't anticipate any sort of confrontation in any of our locations."

...yeah, the NG and the PD are keeping all the conflict down.

"...licensed to carry firearms and are trained to keep the situation under control ..."

Well shit, we can send the NG and FEMA home then... we have well-trained NBC guards on the way.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, so where is the "Private armies" the thread title refers to?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Could the media deploy an Army to NOLA faster than the Federal government?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We should all start mailing letters and e-mails to NBC to point that out.

Excellent point BTW!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You obviously havent kept abrest of the lingo attached to Contract Security Personel in the last few years
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

...yeah, the NG and the PD are keeping all the conflict down.

"...licensed to carry firearms and are trained to keep the situation under control ..."

Well shit, we can send the NG and FEMA home then... we have well-trained NBC guards on the way.

Hmm..... so, I guess that I can go down with my little collection with a few people and help?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#13]
NBC is sending armed security people to protect the reporters/news crews so that they can report back to the sheeple that roving bands of armed thugs are the reason why we need more gun control.

I doubt they will say anything about their cooperate owned guns for hire standing right off camera protecting them while they trash our liberties as citizens to protect ourselves.

F&*^%$# Amazing.......
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You obviously havent kept abrest of the lingo attached to Contract Security Personel in the last few years

Apparently he has not.

Lord_Grey_Boots: Gist is, the MSM has been referring to private security corntractors in Iraq and other countries as "Private Armies" and "Mercenaries" for years now.  Suddenly though, now that they feel a little of what happens in a society where you can't just dial 911, they now see such private security as reasonable and prudent.  Odds are, too, that the NBC security folks are woefully inept and undertrained, especially compared to firms like Blackwater.  

In addition, they now tout their "licensed" gun carriers, when they are usually the most strident voices against laws that allow such licensing.  Hypocracy knows no bounds with these people.

"Professional" journalists are allowed to make temprorary forays into lawlwss areas of NO with their armed security, but the folks who have to live and stay in such areas are not supposed to be able to arm themselves, they must "leave it to the professionals."  After all, the mere introduction of firearms can "only make things worse." etc. etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Not that it'll make the slightest difference, but I emailed them and told them what I think of their hypocritical behavior.

Edited*** they deleted the message w/o even reading it. And I've never sent mail to them before, so it's not as if I'm on some list.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#16]
arfcom could deploy an army to NOLA faster than the media.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#17]
How does one obtain a license to carry an ar-15 around a U.S. city?  Can I go somewhere, take an exam, and get a permit?  If so, I might go down there and freelance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How does one obtain a license to carry an ar-15 around a U.S. city?  Can I go somewhere, take an exam, and get a permit?  If so, I might go down there and freelance.

That isn't how it works.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I apologize to Psywar1-0 for missing the ironic meaning of the thread title. My humor sensor is on the blink today.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That isn't how it works.

How does it work?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We should all start mailing letters and e-mails to NBC to point that out.

Excellent point BTW!

www.nbc.com/nbc/footer/Contact_Us.shtml
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Wonder if the NBC guards have guns..
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I apologize to Psywar1-0 for missing the ironic meaning of the thread title. My humor sensor is on the blink today.

No Problemo
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#24]
So is it true we are pulling people out of the sandbox to handle the street scum in NOLA?

(and thus a rumor is born..............)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#25]
CCL holders protecting NBC reporters = private security force who are trained professionals just like teh police.

CCL holders using guns to lawfully protect themselves = RIGHT WING NEO NAZI MILITARY NUTS WHO CAN'T BE TRUSTED

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There's only one request I have for "Private Military Contractors" headed to LA. Bring back some video footage of dead looters boys!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#27]
the CBS and 60 min. security crew have .50 cals!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the CBS and 60 min. security crew have .50 cals!!!!!!

If you agree with the media that citizens shouldn't have guns, then only the media will have guns! Then they will force you to watch their lousy programming!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:04:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So is it true we are pulling people out of the sandbox to handle the street scum in NOLA?

(and thus a rumor is born..............)

hahahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#30]
the Pres. is schedlued for a flyover in the space shuttle at 2500 ft.  I will be door gunner-ing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
the Pres. is schedlued for a flyover in the space shuttle at 2500 ft.  I will be door gunner-ing.

Im JMing the HAHO Insertion of the DeltaSealPJCIA Operatives, so dont shoot any of us on the way down.  You did get the memo that the Shuttle has to be painted, not black, but very very dark grey prior to the mission?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top