Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 9:31:59 AM EDT
... Or so it seems in my neck of the woods. The blessing is that we came out in good shepe here in Baton Rouge. The bad news is that we are the nearest big city for evacuees and hence a good staging ground for unrest. Fights are breaking out at the pumps and in the stores. People are already getting shot. Desperation has set in, and of course, every anti is now lining the stores in hopes they might buy a "killing machine" to protect themself/their family with. My friend's anti gf finally STFU and endorsed the purchase so I'm taking him scrounging (shopping is no longer an option). The stores are packed to capacity here, and it's times like this I am grateful that I prepared. My best wishes to my gulf states brothers. May we have them but never have to use them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Jesus....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
hang in there, have relations that bailed back on Sunday (while the gettin was good) and are hopefully far enough from the zoo to see things through without incident...

stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Good luck to you... We're getting alot of refugees over here as well (Panama City), but they seem to be friendlier thus far.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Take care and be careful, buddy
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
remember the movie "The Trigger Effect"??????????

"When Nothing Works, Anything Goes."
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Stay safe. Watch out when they start re-lo-ing the looters.  Your town is a natural refugee center.

I'm still trying to track down someone close to me.  He's 79 and survived Iwo Jima and Okinawa, but I'm not sure he made it out of River Ridge.  The elderly, even ones who used to be badasses, are not faring well.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep the little pointy lever thingy near the trigger pointed UP....

He He
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard reports from a guy on another board in the area that baton rouge is going nuts.

exact post is:

Confirmed reports from Baton Rouge area indicate the city government is shut down and full SWAT teams have been deployed throughout the area. Multiple firefights have already broken out. Many people attempting to steal cars throughout the town; SWAT assisting in preventing auto thefts. Big wigs in city government have told FEMA and I think Red Cross also to not open any more shelters in the area.

This should give you an indication of what the cause is.

and

Negative, I'm getting this info from people in that immediate area.

You think the media is accurately reporting how bad things really are in New Orleans?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I heard reports from a guy on another board in the area that baton rouge is going nuts.

exact post is:

Confirmed reports from Baton Rouge area indicate the city government is shut down and full SWAT teams have been deployed throughout the area. Multiple firefights have already broken out. Many people attempting to steal cars throughout the town; SWAT assisting in preventing auto thefts. Big wigs in city government have told FEMA and I think Red Cross also to not open any more shelters in the area.

and

You think the media is accurately reporting how bad things really are in New Orleans?

and this is just going to spread
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Baton Rouge resident checking in. The population here in BR has swelled considerably due to all the refugees. Traffic yesterday going home was awful. Stories this morning about something "going down" in downtown BR and the SWAT team being deployed. Carjacking worries downtown have govt employees being sent home. Stoies of looters from NO trying to get their booty up here also. BRPD claim most stories are not true and it's just paranoia. Still, it shows what people are thinking around here. Stay safe and stay armed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Same things are happening here in Lafayette, Pulp. Probably not as bad as there but its starting. I don't doubt that you are, but to reiterate... Stay safe, stay alert.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag for info.

eta: take care out there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

exact post is:

and

It isn't chaos thus far. just isolated violence/shooting from gas dispute or carjacking. regardless, panic has set in and attendance at the gun stores proves it. There is always a coloring of sensationalism to the media, yet often a kernal of truth. I am hopeful this will blow over without incident, but I have taken my precautions nevertheless. Were it not for school I'd consider another state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... Or so it seems in my neck of the woods. The blessing is that we came out in good shepe here in Baton Rouge. The bad news is that we are the nearest big city for evacuees and hence a good staging ground for unrest. Fights are breaking out at the pumps and in the stores. People are already getting shot. Desperation has set in, and of course, every anti is now lining the stores in hopes they might buy a "killing machine" to protect themself/their family with. My friend's anti gf finally STFU and endorsed the purchase so I'm taking him scrounging (shopping is no longer an option). The stores are packed to capacity here, and it's times like this I am grateful that I prepared. My best wishes to my gulf states brothers. May we have them but never have to use them.

Is there a waiting period in LA?  My liberal friend likes to say that he beleives in the right to bear arms, but strongly believes in the '10 day waiting period' to keep people from 'acting on their emotions'.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Just got this Email. I work at LSU.

"There have been confirmed reports of civil unrest in the Baton Rouge
area this morning.  These incidents appear to be confined to specific areas
in the downtown Baton Rouge area and specific locations around the
community.  At this time, local law enforcement are reported to have the
situation contained.  To insure safety, we have instructed that all
buildings on campus be locked and we ask that occupants remain indoors.  We
are confident in the security procedures of LSU Public Safety and these
actions will permit their timely response to any incidents that may occur
on our campus.

This is a trying time for all of us in the affected areas and beyond.
Our efforts now center on safety and recovery.  We are primarily concerned
with the safety and well being of the LSU community and we urge that safe
choices be made. For those on campus who would feel more secure in their
homes, we urge that you leave campus in an orderly fashion.  Please be
aware that these incidents of unrest in the community make travel an
unknown risk at this time.  Permitting time for the law enforcement
personnel to work through these challenges will likely improve the security
outlook in the near term.

Above all else, think through the choices being considered to assure
your safety."
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#19]
How long before you become outnumbered there?  You have already seen what happens when the Feds try to "help."
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a waiting period in LA?  My liberal friend likes to say that he beleives in the right to bear arms, but strongly believes in the '10 day waiting period' to keep people from 'acting on their emotions'.

No. Just the instant check system.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#21]
thanks for the reports guys

that stuff I quoted was from a guy saying he got it first hand from people in BR, not from the media

http://www.black-rifles.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1695
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Further down the spiral
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#23]
We Need The Omega Man

putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/24314052540.jpg&s=x7
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I am now the Downtown Baton Rouge armory. Fortunately I have talked most of my friends into guns years before. I'm loaning my ex a .22 pistol (might have been a .45 if we broke up on better terms ) & I just converted a new brother who is now delayed on his BM M4gery. He's borrowing my WASR until round 2 at the gun store tomorrow.

THE GUN STORES ARE MOBBED!!! Pistols and ammo are gone folks!!! Walmart GONE, Gun stores, on critical supply (Precision has the last of the ammo folks 99/1000 on Wolf) It's surreal here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We Need The Omega Man

putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/24314052540.jpg&s=x7

How about the guy from the book that The Omega Man was based on?

It's called "I Am Legend"
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope you guys in BR and the rest of LA can hang tight and keep yourselves safe.  Best wishes etc to you and yours.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I am now the Downtown Baton Rouge armory. Fortunately I have talked most of my friends into guns years before. I'm loaning my ex a .22 pistol (might have been a .45 if we broke up on better terms ) & I just converted a new brother who is now delayed on his BM M4gery. He's borrowing my WASR until round 2 at the gun store tomorrow.

THE GUN STORES ARE MOBBED!!! Pistols and ammo are gone folks!!! Walmart GONE, Gun stores, on critical supply (Precision has the last of the ammo folks 99/1000 on Wolf) It's surreal here.

Sounds like business is good. Watch your six.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top