Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 8:47:44 AM EDT
Couple of informational questions, just looked at my tank and am at 65% right now on an 500gallon tank last filled in june. Now we cant go by our previous usage as our in ground tank had a massive leak that was apparently there for some time.....
Everything in the house is propane - furnace, hot water,stove- yada yada
1 how much are you paying for propane right now and is that cost going up like gas ,fuel oil etc ?
2 how large is your tank and how often do you get it filled in the wintertime ? summertime?
3 are you heating with it and how large is your house approx ?

I was actually pleasantly surprised to se we were only down 10-15% from june (complete fill is only actually 80%) last year before the leak was discovered we went through a tank almost every month it seemed. The magnitude of the leak was discovered in april this year and the UG tank emptied and shut down and a loaner tank brought in for the interrim since then we have only filled it the one time....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
we're currently selling house gas for $1.85 per gallon............the bigger bitches like ferrell, amerigas, etc..... i'm sure are not being so kind.

propane has not taken the hit that gas and diesel have.  when gas went up 50c propane went up 2c.  which is kind of strange, they usually follow each other somewhat predictably.  the bubble will burst eventually, hunker down and be glad your house isn't running on unleaded!

usage is ALL based on BTUs, personal variances and appliance efficiency so i really can't tell you much about that
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#2]
also, if you had that bad of a leak the company you're buying from should damn well have noticed the increased usage and came out to run a pressure test on the system  unless you're a new customer of theirs and they didn't have a pattern to look at...................
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the reasons we changed companies and had ANOTHER pressure test done is the first co found nothing wrong with propane vapors rising visibly from the tank --not to mention the strong pressence of propane odor in the air anywhere near the tank. When we had another co come out and test (we paid for the test independently) the diagnosis was 100% diffrent when that co preformed the test notified the County. and red-tagged the tank ( I DO AGREE 100% with the 2nd co's diagnosis it was a completely UNSAFE situation) effectively forcing us to shut it down.  The County administration took the first co to task, however there was nothing conclusive --and My wife and I did not know enough about it to  be able to prove that they knew about it and kept delivering. Then I found out that they are commission based and that the driver gets paid based on how much and how often he delivers so..........................! Did he ignore and unsafe condition for his own wallet -- who knows?  I have rectified the situation, gone with another company who loaned me the temporary tank and plumbed it into the system at no charge and will verify repairs to the ingrond tank at no charge when we are ready --basiclly they have bent over backwards to earn my trust at this point. What we are trying to do is figure out what our  nominal usage will be this winter --and it may take a few winter summer cycles for us to accurately pin it down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top