Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 5:49:07 AM EDT
During you time of crisis, you came through it really well.  Sure you had your moments where some looting was reported but it was squashed fast.   I myself having visited New York in the 70's didn't think you would come through the crisis so well.   But you did.   I can't remember the news media broadcasting footage where looters would be allowed to break into stores and steal everything right in front of the police, oh and I should mention some of the police taking items themselves.  I saw on Fox news, where two NO  female police officers were walking through the store putting the items they wanted in a shopping cart.  Then they saw the news crew videotaping and one walked off so she wouldn't be on film.  

If there was an award for how a city handles their crisis I believe New York City would be the winner.     Congratulations
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you comapring Hurricane Katrina to 9/11?  Because if you are, they're two completely different types of disasters with two completely different types of aftermaths.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing like each other. Only thing they have in common is death.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you comapring Hurricane Katrina to 9/11?  Because if you are, they're two completely different types of disasters with two completely different types of aftermaths.

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Agreed.....not only that but during the major power outage some time after that as well.....people just packed up and walked across the bridges and all the way home.......maybe we need to send Guliani to New Orleans.......or maybe this guy.......
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1.  there is no comparison.  like i said in a different thread,  NYC was not 80% underwater, FDNY and NYPD were not getting shot at,  hundreds of thousands of people werent homeless, etc..
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Apples and oranges. New York didn't experience anything remotely resembleing the devastation on the gulf coast or New Orleans. New York lost a few acres of real estate and a few thousand lives. Rescue and recovery effrots were able to start immediatley because they still had effective public services, communications, accessible roadways, ports and airports. A very small percentage of one bourogh was effected by the attack on the twin towers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Agreed.....not only that but during the major power outage some time after that as well.....people just packed up and walked across the bridges and all the way home.......maybe we need to send Guliani to New Orleans.......or maybe this guy.......
img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/jasba/ww4.jpg

There is no packing up and walking home.  That's the biggest difference.  New Yorkers had a home to go to.

These people have nowhere to go.  No home, no food, no water, no nothing.

The looting is unacceptable but once again... this disaster is nothing like 9-11-01.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]
If only the poor people were left in NY and the basically the entire city was destroyed, the situations might compare.

Plus NYer's had an enemy to hate........those people in NO only have the "system" to take their frustrations out on.

It is no excuse for the actons of those looters......but it is entirely different.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#9]
New York had a more Katrina like situation 2 summers ago in the Northeast blackout.

Looting, riots, disruption could have easily broken out.  The city was crippled and the mercury was 90+ degrees.

Instead, the crime rate actually dropped.  New Yorkers welcomed stranded commuters into their homes.  People slept on the sidewalk without being hassled.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Its because the Democrats are moral, responsible upstanding people who want to help each other.
Republicans are just a bunch of backstabbing theives trying to get ahead.

*put on flame suit*
JUST KIDDING!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Its because the Democrats are moral, responsible upstanding people who want to help each other.
Republicans are just a bunch of backstabbing theives trying to get ahead.

*put on flame suit*
JUST KIDDING!!

You think those people doing the looting in NO are Republicans?

... wow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
New York had a more Katrina like situation 2 summers ago in the Northeast blackout.

Looting, riots, disruption could have easily broken out.  The city was crippled and the mercury was 90+ degrees.

Instead, the crime rate actually dropped.  New Yorkers welcomed stranded commuters into their homes.  People slept on the sidewalk without being hassled.

NOT 9/11!!! it was the big blackout...man, i'd forgotten all about that (probably because there weren't days and days of televised looting and carnage afterwards...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top