Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 12:11:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh, great, the costs of the hurricane just increased by at least a factor of 10.

For the DUm-DUm trolls out there, take what the original estimates were going to be, multiply the final costs by 10, and reduce the effectiveness of repairs to one tenth of what they could have been.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
U.N. emergency relief co-ordinator Jan Egeland, who oversaw the Asian tsunami relief effort, said Katrina could easily dwarf the devastation of other recent natural disasters in terms of economic costs.

Egeland called Katrina one of "the largest, most destructive natural disasters ever" and offered U.N assistance.

Wasn't that the asshole who said the US wasn't doing enough to help Indonesia?

And the next day we had aid workers on the ground, weeks before the UN could pull their head out of their ass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wonder what kind of "assistance" they're offering?

Oil for food, what else?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Blue helmets with boots on U.S. soil is what they're offering.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Any assistance we need as long as they can borrow  we give them the money from us in order to supply it. Basically, anything we'll pay for...
Don't they owe us like $9 billion or something like that?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Prepping for a UN invasion.

Lock and load.
Weapons are free
Fire at will
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Funniest thread title EVER!

I had beer foam through my nose
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I fear.

This is bad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Fooking Smurfs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I fear.

This is bad.

Oh please.

Try bottled water and health workers if anything at all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I fear.

This is bad.

Oh please.

If you say so. Who's going to disburse all that "aid"? I bet they wear blue lids.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any assistance we need as long as they can borrow  we give them the money from us in order to supply it. Basically, anything we'll pay for...
Don't they owe us like $9 billion or something like that?

I don't know exactly how much we've paid for the UN but I'm sure it's astronomical.  We don't need "UN Aid"!!!!  We just need the UN to pay their debt to the USA back within the next 72 months at 4.99% interest - that sounds like a fair deal to me.  Maybe toss in a fair re-allocation of who pays what percentage into the UN each year and how much back rent is owed to the USA for the nice headquarters.

<ETA more rant : ...and reimburse us (and our allies - thanks Vito) for fixing what they botched up in eye-rack and maybe apologizing to the world for their WMD screw-up, etc. etc. etc.>
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]
The only "assistance" we need from the UN is for them to leave this hemisphere.  Africa is a nice place for them.  Try Zimbabwae.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#17]

USA SAVED!!!! UN offers Hurricane Aid

So that's what bile tastes like...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess it's a nice thought. But the truth is that most UN missions are mostly self-serving for the bureaucrats and representatives  who spend most of their timehaving meetings with each other and ensuring that they do so in style.  There's a whole class of people, UN types, who have a lifestyle of getting around the world to the various tragedies and flashpoints of human misery and disaster.  They set themselves in nice digs, zoom around in Toyota Landcruisers, write proposals and meet with local dignitaries, all with expense accounts that allow them to live like pashas in impoverished countries.

Maybe all this would be tolerable if the UN was competent, effective, and made noticeable impacts of relief of human suffering.  But that's not the case.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:05:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:20:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, don't get too worked up about the news. It took them forever to get their shit together in Somolia for a rescue mission, I expect them to arrive, oh, about the second week in December. Since most of them will be from places like Pakistan, India etc., the vast majority will toss their blue helmet and defect to the U.S. and ask for asylum thus becoming part of the problem instead of the solution.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:27:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oil for food, what else?

Now that's funny...I don't care who ya are

It's a deal...we stand to make billions
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Keep those blue helmets off our soil!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have a friend who has some Norinco Steel core ammo.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I fear.

Then you ought to stop taking the paranoid pills
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I fear.

This is bad.

Oh please.

+1

It pains me to repeat the cliche... but please remove the tinfoil. I don't think that Bush is anywhere NEAR letting armed UN personnel in the continental US. Maybe if Heir Klinton was in charge though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top