Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 11:47:52 PM EDT
OK..Everyone remembers how bad the economy took a hit after 9/11 and how thousands of jobs were lost, etc... We're still trying to recover 4 years later.

Now we have Katrina devistating this country. Oil took another hit as well as other industry. It's going to be a HUGE hit on the US economy in my opinion.

Now, having said that, do you, in your heart of hearts, think America would survive or ever recover if there was a tango hit on top of what else has been going on?

This is just something that has been on my mind watching these poor folks down south.. I would like to think we are strong enough to recover. It might take us a LONG time, but I think we would come out of it ok. But, then again, I'm no psychic..

Let's hope and pray nothing like that happens...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont worry Az_Redneck, I'll protect you!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Well aren't you a fucking ray of sunshine.

Sorry.
I am starting to get the damn rage I had on 11 Sep 01.
Fucking enough is enough.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sorry.

I hear ya mang..... I hear ya.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I think we are headed for a major recession, in the next two, three years, top.
Best to stock up on supplies NOW.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We're still trying to recover 4 years later.

Nope. We've recovered. A while ago, actually.

What is it with these Chicken Little threads lately?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sorry.

Dude..Chill

I was just putting some thoughts down. Didn't mean to bum you out..

I did say that I think we could/would survive, didn't I?

I just wanted some opinions... (Other than INTERNET HIGHWAY RAGE)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Well once the news coverage of New Atlantis is over(you know NOLA is fucking atlantis by now) they WILL start covering the economy crisis non stop for about a month, and gas prices will skyrocket and people will die. We will have a huge amount of new legislation, but the new laws will amount to just about jack and shit. Its gonna suck.

Eventually(2015 probably) we will get on some sort of footing, we will stop living under sea level where the SEA LEVEL IS, and we will figure something out that is better than a gas shortage that somehow can claim an extra 46 billion in profits(it happened but I dont have the source off the top of my head). We will find something, and we will be what America should be and was supposed to be again.

-Bobby
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We're still trying to recover 4 years later.

Nope. We've recovered. A while ago, actually.

What is it with these Chicken Little threads lately?

Not true. Airlines haven't recovered. My wife works for a .gov contractor and they haven't been able to hire back what they had pre-9/11..

Anyway, who's Chicken Little? I never said the sky was falling. I simply asked a question...

If I thought the sky was falling, I wouldn't be selling my Kevlar Helmet, now would I?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sure you will! Bet you say that to all the AZHTF guys!

You can't even hold a damn laptop for me...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure you will! Bet you say that to all the AZHTF guys! <--- True...

You can't even hold a damn laptop for me... <--- Also true....

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Of course we'll survive,the question is will things be like they were before?

No, they won't. How good or bad it will be is up to us.

We need good leadership, we need to strengthen the foundations of our economy by becoming more self sufficient in energy, capital, manufacturing, and so on. We need monetary reform, specifically a free market for money and credit, so we don't need continuous debt inflation to keep our heads above water, we need fiscal discipline,deficit spending is the same as taxation, worse even, the people still pay the bills through inflation and then again when the debt comes due, we need to start building an infrastructure that better serves the needs of people with fewer oil and other inputs, and we need to manage all that on a budget that represents a smaller percentage of our GDP.

Otherwise things could get pretty bad, but we'll survive. We may not recognize ourselves but we'll still be here. It'd take a major power with a death wish to take us down with them.

By the way, 9/11 had little to do with the economic weakness of the last few years, it had more to do with fundamentals, debt burdens, overcapacity, and trade imbalances. Things would have been worse without the massive liquidity injections from rate cuts and so on, which were temporary fixes which have only made the problems worse. Whenever human beings try to manage an economy they can only trade one problem for another, at best. Since they're not omniscient they end up doing damage every time they intervene.

THAT's the threat, not storms or guys with boxcutters, they're just the shit that happens.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not true. Airlines haven't recovered. My wife works for a .gov contractor and they haven't been able to hire back what they had pre-9/11..

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. One industry does not an economy make, nor is it reasonable to expect a return to the artificially high economy of the 90's. So your wife says some contractor is SOL. That means shit to the economy as a whole.

Our economy is certainly among the healthiest in the world, if not the healthiest. Our unemployement rates, even factoring in the NO losses, are among the lowest in the world. All economic indicators disagree that we are 'still recovering'.

Will economic growth slow down as a result of increased energy prices? Sure. Is it the end of the world as we know it? No.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The U.S. would do just fine if California earthquakes, Gulf Coast hurricanes, mid-western drought, west coast fires, Alfred P. Murrah, & 9/11 all happened at the same time.   We're Americans - we can handle anything better than anyone.    

Indeed you do and indeed you can… but the behaviour of the 'survivors' in NO is not Americas finest hour.

The media goes hunting for the worst.  They never tout heroics - it just doesn't sell newspapers.  I will bet my life there have been countless, selfless sacrifices that have occured in these storm-ravaged areas.    

82nd is on target.
+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The U.S. would do just fine if California earthquakes, Gulf Coast hurricanes, mid-western drought, west coast fires, Alfred P. Murrah, & 9/11 all happened at the same time.   We're Americans - we can handle anything better than anyone.    

Indeed you do and indeed you can… but the behaviour of the 'survivors' in NO is not Americas finest hour.

We have a large population of people whom are inclined to think nothing of anyone else but themselves and are held in check only by the threat of violence upon their person.

Let these losers loot and pillage, act like animals, etc.  The short term boon to their pathetic little lives will be just a memory in a few months after the binge on crack, liquor, and whatever else they tend to waste their irrelevant lives on.  Yes, it will be fustrating to come home to find that your television is now gracing the flat spot atop and old broken television, and that the family silver somehow made its way from the local fence to Ebay, but in a way many of the looters were doing the same to our taxes, so their behaviour now is no surprise.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top