Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 6:53:54 PM EDT
article has a dildo visible in the pic
news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050831/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_safrica_rape_1;_ylt=Al9VtmXCZX5NMJiQ2Zoz1IfmWMcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

South Africa anti-rape condom aims to stop attacks

Wed Aug 31,11:46 AM ET

KLEINMOND, South Africa (Reuters) - A South African inventor unveiled a new anti-rape female condom on Wednesday that hooks onto an attacker's penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time," Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex", a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Police statistics show more than 50,000 rapes are reported every year, while experts say the real figure could be four times that as they say most rapes of acquaintances or children are never reported.

Ehlers said the "rapex" hooks onto the rapist's skin, allowing the victim time to escape and helping to identify perpetrators.

"He will obviously be too pre-occupied at this stage," she told reporters in Kleinmond, a small holiday village about 100km (60 miles) east of Cape Town. "I promise you he is going to be too sore. He will go straight to hospital."

The device, made of latex and held firm by shafts of sharp barbs, can only be removed from the man through surgery which will alert hospital staff, and ultimately, the police, she said.

It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting
AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.

South Africa has more people with
HIV/AIDS than any other country, with one in nine of its 45 million population infected.

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man. Production was planned to start next year.

But the "rapex" has raised fears amongst anti-rape activists that it could escalate violence against women.

"If a victim is wearing such a device it may enrage the attacker further and possibly result in more harm being caused," said Sam Waterhouse, advocacy co-ordinator for Rape Crisis.

Other critics say the condom is mediaeval and barbaric -- an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

"This is not about vengeance ... but the deed, that is what I hate," she said.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Who in their right mind would volunteer to 'test' that???
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
article has a dildo visible in the pic
news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050831/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_safrica_rape_1;_ylt=Al9VtmXCZX5NMJiQ2Zoz1IfmWMcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

South Africa anti-rape condom aims to stop attacks

Wed Aug 31,11:46 AM ET

KLEINMOND, South Africa (Reuters) - A South African inventor unveiled a new anti-rape female condom on Wednesday that hooks onto an attacker's penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time," Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex", a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Police statistics show more than 50,000 rapes are reported every year, while experts say the real figure could be four times that as they say most rapes of acquaintances or children are never reported.

Ehlers said the "rapex" hooks onto the rapist's skin, allowing the victim time to escape and helping to identify perpetrators.

"He will obviously be too pre-occupied at this stage," she told reporters in Kleinmond, a small holiday village about 100km (60 miles) east of Cape Town. "I promise you he is going to be too sore. He will go straight to hospital."

The device, made of latex and held firm by shafts of sharp barbs, can only be removed from the man through surgery which will alert hospital staff, and ultimately, the police, she said

It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting
AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.

South Africa has more people with
HIV/AIDS than any other country, with one in nine of its 45 million population infected.

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man. Production was planned to start next year.

But the "rapex" has raised fears amongst anti-rape activists that it could escalate violence against women.

"If a victim is wearing such a device it may enrage the attacker further and possibly result in more harm being caused," said Sam Waterhouse, advocacy co-ordinator for Rape Crisis.

Other critics say the condom is mediaeval and barbaric -- an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

Hmm, I think Samuel Colt has and a few others.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not a .45 barb
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Barbs wont stop culture.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The "oh the poor rapist" comments in there just make me sick.  The idea cracks me up though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
didn't they use bamboo in vietnam?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How would bamboo be used?  I can't figure this one out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How would bamboo be used?  I can't figure this one out.

Sharp bamboo placed in the happy regions of a foxxy asian temptress (of doom) with a business end (sharp end) pointing towards daylight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Considering Rape is barberic, brutal, cruel and leaves life long scars... I think that product is something that should NOT stay in the design stages.  It should hit the markets soon.  If it works then it works.  

Then something will be needed in case of multiple rapist, like a glock.  
WAIT Africa is a country that likes crime, that's why modern weapons of defense are outlawed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
...but the problem is that the woman still needs to be raped for it to work.

ETA: So.. what happens when the male goes limp? I would think that it would be much less painful and easier to get off (no pun intended) at that point?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#13]
So now, instead of just being raped.. they will now have a penis inside them gushing blood, and then beaten within an inch of their lives.  

I don't think the "inventor" has any worries about being raped.... her face is a much better anti-rape device!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So now, instead of just being raped.. they will now have a penis inside them gushing blood, and then beaten within an inch of their lives.  

I don't think the "inventor" has any worries about being raped.... her face is a much better anti-rape device!

Ultimate anti-rape imagery *GRAPHIC*
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Who in their right mind would volunteer to 'test' that???

My guess is that the first live "tester" will be an actual rapist. So they WILL (and will not) "volunteer" by their actions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Got any pics?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
So basically, we're going to see an increase in ass-raping in South Africa?  Security through obsurity doesn't work, folks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#19]
How many women would actually wear it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]

I like mine better.  More comfy.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I can see psycho chicks buying those just to be evil.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Fucking stupid and its not new it has been done some time ago and failed. Just going to cause more problems.

The best way to stop a rapist is a fucking gun or knife.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Big fucking  +1
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

... and far more effective & final!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big fucking  +1

Points to the first one to put it in inside out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.fastdirectory.net/pattyar15.jpg

Not to mention able to stop 30 rapes without reloading.... and comes in designer colors for every occasion
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I want the Gloria Steinman signature model for my collection.  The industrial strength one,  that in addition, lobs off your balls and plays Alanis Morisette music after said attack.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]
My Pee-Pee get so hard it would probably break that little device and you would have to send it in for warranty work....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention able to stop 30 rapes without reloading.... and comes in designer colors for every occasion

I want more colors.  How does one camo paint their ARs?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I would buy one for my daughter.  "Sure honey, you can go out to that Frat party."  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want more colors.  How does one camo paint their ARs?  Patty

Ask brasspile......I beleive there is a kit with camo patterns
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My Pee-Pee get so hard it would probably break that little device and you would have to send it in for warranty work....

Are you saying you are a rapist?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ultimate anti-rape imagery *GRAPHIC*

Eww, now I have to send my penis to therapy! Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oly, you're weird! How you got THAT out of his comment gives me the creeps!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oly, you're weird! How you got THAT out of his comment gives me the creeps!

Don't pick on olyarms, I thought it sounded that way too. I mean it is a device to PREVENT rape, so presumably, one wouldn't "encounter" it UNLESS one was attempting to rape someone.... so how would one's... "pee-pee" encouner it TO break it unless... QED, ya know?

Kinda like saying, "When I get into drunken barfights, I kick ass" someone would logically assume that not only does that person enter bars, and get into fights, BUT you also get drunk, at least sometimes.

Then when some comment was made, "I thought you said you were a Christian, typically, they don't get drunk, or go into bars, or start fights for that matter...."

Then someone else (like you) saying, "I don't EVEN understand how you came to the conclusion he's not a Christain!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top