Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 6:46:46 PM EDT
Unlike other storms, the devastation has brought out monumental civil unrest.
Our economy is already being affected by this storm only 48 hours after it hit.
Fuel prices have soared, an entire region in the south has been eliminated from the map, and without doubt, many if not most of the displaced will take up residence elsewhere permanently.

The populations of neighboring states will change, at least for now if not permanently.
N.O. will not be the same again, regardless of what officials say.

We are seeing the worst being brought out in citizens, as they turn on their fellow Americans in a fit of opportunistic greed.

A glance at the headlines of any news source are enough to make a person sick.

How can this not have a permanent affect on the country?

How do you see this changing our Nation?

One thing that comes to mind for me is that it appears from the news footage that several impoverished areas were hit hard by the storm....assume those people (that survived) relocate to Texas (or some other state)....now that new host state will bear the burden of supporting those individuals, hurting the economies of those states, and tapping more tax dollars for aid without adding any contributions to the pile.

Then of course, there will be the FEMA bailout money paid to survivors...not sure where that money comes from, but I am of the understanding that victims will get a check of some value.

In so many ways, I honestly beleive that this event will have a more lasting effect than 9/11.....and the saddest part is, the attrocities seen in the streets of N.O. arent being committed by some foreign terrorists...they are Americans.

We have 21,000 troops deployed to provide LE support to local authorities...apparently martial law has been enacted, looters are shooting at cops, cops are looting stores, people are assaulting each other for potable water.....right here in the straight 48

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING TO MY COUNTRY?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
the only thing it will do is hasten the flow of people out of the cities.

You can bet that everyone is loking twice at their nearest city and asking themselves if the same thing could happen there...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Apparently it is already down the drain.  That is clearly displayed by all the members here who agree with martial law.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess the south will have to rise again... from the rubble.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Only locally, and limited even there.

People have short memories.

9/11 is already forgotten.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]

All will be forgotten when the networks reveal their new Fall lineups.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently it is already down the drain.  That is clearly displayed by all the members here who agree with martial law.

There is a  time and a place for it, and this is it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

9/11 is already forgotten.

What is pathetic is that people forget 9/11, but they will remember this storm everytime they fill their gas tank for the foreseeable future.

This country is slipping to the control of the lowest common denominator...and I am getting sick of it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
In time I believe it will all be forgotten by those not directly involved.  I say this because sometimes I feel that many people in the US have forgotten 9/11.  Everything is peachy where they live and their life goes on, so screw everyone else.

I think the economic problems will be with us for a while.

but....always remember..the United States is the greatest country on earth!  We will bounce back from this disaster and we will be stronger for it.  Don't sell the US short.  We will make it right.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Aside from the economic impact that will be with us for some time,I hope that it has opened some eyes to the fact that the goverment cannot protect and care for you,you have to be ready to depend on yourself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Aside from the economic impact that will be with us for some time,I hope that it has opened some eyes to the fact that the goverment cannot protect and care for you,you have to be ready to depend on yourself.

Realizing the Government isn't going to babysit you is one thing.  Taking charge of your own matters is another.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I learned a long time ago, being prepared keeps one from being a statistic. Store your own provisions to last a month. We do have a Survival Forum here also. Alot of people have be awakened by this event, on how vunerable society is. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and also have plenty ammo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#12]
News coverage is focusing on sensational aspects.

Posters in General Discussion say stupid things.

People rebuild.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you know, Mr. Post 17?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Doubt it, must Sheeple have forgoten 9/11.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel sad that this has happened to one of our historical and grand cities.  Not that I'd want a bunch of rural folk to get beat on by nature, but jeez...it's New Orleans!  It's like if Denver got eaten by a sinkhole or Atlanta got smacked by a meteor.

When the "big one" smacks Los Angeles, I can't even fathom what we'll see on tv and how it will affect our lives across the country/world.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#16]
this has to be the dumbest question of the day
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
this has to be the dumbest question of the day

Care to expand on that a bit?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I doubt it. Outside of the Gulf coast, this will all be forgotten in a month.

Americans are very resilient and very forgetful. They will get on with life very quickly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]
It will al be forgotten once the next Hurricane approaches.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I doubt it. Outside of the Gulf coast, this will all be forgotten in a month.

Not if we're paying fucking $4/gal for regular unleaded.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a  time and a place for it, and this is it.

Yeah, no kidding. I'm no NWO-lover, but let's face facts: sometimes you NEED martial law, and this is it.

I get a kick out of people that squeal about martial law in this case. Let's look at the situation:

utter devastation over a regional area
thousands dead
hundreds of thousands if not millions displaced
no food
no potable water
extreme disease potential
armed looters ransacking stores

The police in the area either can't or won't maintain order. Some cops are looting and some departments are so devastated by the disaster they can't even effectively respond to the crisis. You can't just magically shit cops from other areas, or those other areas will be shortchanged.

Somebody has to maintain order in this situation and local law enforcement is in no position to be able to do it.

We are beyond the point where an honest armed citizenry will be able to be effective in this case. Most of the honest, able-bodied people that could stand up to the looters and thugs bugged out when they saw the feces flying towards the rotary air impeller. The honest citizens that stayed behind are either too infirm to do anything or too few in number to be effective.

I suppose, though, rather than have the military provide for the security of this area we should just let it all burn, eh?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Off to a good start are we?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Within a month or two the effects of Katrina will only be evident in the areas immediately damaged by the storm. Before the end of this year, tens if not hundreds of thousands of high paying construction, oil field, and oil equipment jobs will be created to repair the massive damage. The only irreplaceable damage will be the deaths.

And next year, at the latest, people will insist on riding out hurricanes in their beachfront dwellings.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Within a month or two the effects of Katrina will only be evident in the areas immediately damaged by the storm. Before the end of this year, tens if not hundreds of thousands of high paying construction, oil field, and oil equipment jobs will be created to repair the massive damage. The only irreplaceable damage will be the deaths.

And next year, at the latest, people will insist on riding out hurricanes in their beachfront dwellings.

BINGO

As for you bunch of bed wetters please pick up a damn history book and actually learn something about your country…

Change is the natural state of the United States… we will come through fine, now go buy some Depends.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope.  Nothing ever changes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top