Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 6:15:37 PM EDT
OK, so a friend's got this chinese SKS. its a basic one, no bells or whistles. 10 round fixed magazine. It looks to be well maintained.
The only difficulty is that once the trigger is pulled it won't stop until it is out of ammo.

What is wrong with it?
Can it be repaired?
If it cannot be fixed what the heck should my friend do with it.
Any assisstance is appreciated.
Midwinter

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean the firing pin and bolt assy. Probably all gunked up with crap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Hide your dog
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Do all 3
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, have him remove the bolt and carrier.  When the bolt is shaken, one should be able to see and hear the firing pin moving back and forth.  If it is stuck, he should dissassemble it, and clean it very well.  Sometimes they just won't come apart.  In that case, put it in an old pot full of boiling water and let the gunked up cosmoline come out that way.  Then, spray in carb cleaner, or whatever and go from there.  For further advise, go to www.surplusrifle.com and visit the SKS forums.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
1.  Check bolt as described above.
2.  Check that the sear works.  Simply put, check that the gun is empty, then with your finger completely depressing the trigger, rack the bolt back and slowly return it to battery......Does the hammer drop when you do this?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks all, I'll pass the advice on
Midwinter
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah pretty common with the SKS. Mine has done it once. It gets dirty and the firing pin gets stuck and basically turns it into an open bolt machine gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah pretty common with the SKS. Mine has done it once. It gets dirty and the firing pin gets stuck and basically turns it into an open bolt machine gun.

It is actually pretty cool once you figure out what is going on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Clean out the bolt.

The firing pin is gunked up.

Clean it out and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Firing pin is in upside down.  Disassemble and put it in right-side-up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for all your concern.  knowing that dirt and oil mixed together can cause an SKS to malfunction, causing a chain fire...constitutes "manufacturing a machine gun"  Anyone found with an SKS, dirt and oil in their house will be considered as having an illegal, unregistered machine gun.

Thank you again and the BATFE will be with you soon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Clean out the bolt.

The firing pin is gunked up.

+1
this is a fairly common problem
hide your dog
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Firing pin is in upside down.  Disassemble and put it in right-side-up.

I thought it would only go one way........ I'll have to try that now
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Wonder if a dirty firing pin in an SAR1 would do act in the same way as the SKS?  I keep my rifles spotless.  Anyone experience this?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Try firing it underwater. That should clean it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top