Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 6:11:57 PM EDT
Anybody know of a non-toxic way to control the things? We don't have carpets, and the cats have been dosed with that "Front Line" stuff. But I've got little bites on my feet. I think they're in the cracks in the hardwood floor or something.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anybody know of a non-toxic way to control the things? We don't have carpets, and the cats have been dosed with that "Front Line" stuff. But I've got little bites on my feet. I think they're in the cracks in the hardwood floor or something.

gamma radiation?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel your pain, or is that my own fleas (loaned to me by my Boykin). It has been a bitch here. I've done the Frontline, dipped him, bombed the house several times. I even sprinkled garlic powder on his meals for a week. All I got was halitosis. Funny thing is that a lot of people I've talked to haven't been bothered. Vet says it's a bad year for them here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Only way
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot the plague carrying rat…
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Spray ivory soap on your yard around the house and where your cats like to go . just mix a little into a pesticide sprayer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Diatomaecous earth.  Get a dust mask, sweep, DON'T SPRAY it over the wood floor.  Works forever once in the cracks.  It is like shards of glass, only microscopic.  It causes fleas to bleed through their exoskeleton.

If that don't work, wax the floor.  They are in the cracks in the floor.  Seal them up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
JP5 works wonders
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Get your pets on Sentinel or one of the other alternatives, then if a flee bites the pet it cannot reproduce.

Dip the animals with a good flea dip.

Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, at least once a week until the flees are gone, with a bagged vacuum to get the eggs up and get the bags out of the house each time.

Apply borax to carpets and work it in between vacuuming.

Place sticky incest pads on the carpets and infested areas at night… keep the pets out of the area when sticky pads are deployed.

Spray with insecticide if necessary and treat the yard.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Heloise says:

Move to a new house.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Place sticky incest pads on the carpets and infested areas at night… keep the pets out of the area when sticky pads are deployed.

Sir that is just disgusting.  Sick bastard!    
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Do the cats still have fleas?  I use a Revolution instead of Front Line and it kills fleas dead fast!  Also as has already been said, vacuum...vacuum...vacuum.  My house was infested with fleas last summer.  I ended up going the bug bomb route just because I had dealt with them for 3 months with no luck.  In addition to the massive amount of bug bombs, I put flea powder on the carpet and furniture and vacuumed it daily!  This was after the cats were treated with Revolution.  Revolution will prevent any eggs that are laid from hatching so it breaks the cycle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Sticky-pad flea trap, with a light......  They work.

Here's one, probably a gazillion other types out there as well.

www.pestproducts.com/flea_trap.htm

They see the light at night, go to it, and get stuck..... End of flea.  AND they can no longer breed/lay eggs of course, so you stop that problem at the same time.  

Simple, cheap solution that actually works to eliminate the ones you GOT, plus stop them from breeding more of the little fuckers.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:07:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've heard of putting Boric Acid on carpets, but couldn't find anything about it on the net.

I don't have carpets, but I think they're in the cracks of the wood floor.

Have you actually tried this?

If all else fails, I guess I can look on the bright side of living in NH - by next month all I'll have to do is turn off the heat to kill them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Boric acid is safe you can mix with water and mop it on your floors. The bigger problem is that you are only killing the adults and juvies. You need to have an exterminator come in and spray an IGR which will sterilize the next generation so that they cannot reproduce.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#15]
You'll have to stir-up the areas where the cat's hung around for quite a while to come.  Poison won't work--it'll kill the adults, but the cocoons will survive.  

Since you've treated the cats, keep the cats in the infested area and keep the family away if possible.  The cat treatment will kill the adults as they feed on them after they hatch.  The cats will both kill the adults, and trigger the hatching of the cocoons.  The humans will only trigger the hatching of the cocoons.  

The cocoons will lie dormant for a long time if not disturbed.  One can spray an area; kill the adults; declare victory, only to be reinfested by hatching adults a day or two later.  

Basically, you're fucked for at least a little while.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#16]
If I can't solve this before cold weather hits, I wonder if turning off the heat each week would work? Freeze a few successive hatches until the breeding cycle is broken?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If I can't solve this before cold weather hits, I wonder if turning off the heat each week would work? Freeze a few successive hatches until the breeding cycle is broken?

Yep- open all doors and windows and move to FL for the winter. And take a course on how to clear your home when you return- wolverines and black bears. And don't let PETA find out, they'll scream about cruelty to fleas.

My vet told me some interesting things about fleas. The cocoons can lay dormant for a long time and will hatch when a warm blooded creature passes by. Sort of like a "soups on" signal. ALSO be sure to have your pets checked for intestinal parasites. There is some sort of interaction between some parasites and fleas (fleas eat the eggs and are ingested by pet, or something like that).

Boric acid- also good for roaches, I think you can get it at drug stores.

Diatomaceous earth- death to worms out in your garden. Like crawling thru razor wire. Never heard of it for fleas, but worth a try.

I HAVE NO YET BEGUN TO FIGHT!

Lot of good tips.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard of putting Boric Acid on carpets, but couldn't find anything about it on the net.

I don't have carpets, but I think they're in the cracks of the wood floor.

Have you actually tried this?

If all else fails, I guess I can look on the bright side of living in NH - by next month all I'll have to do is turn off the heat to kill them.

Won't do much.  Try the diatomaceous earth.  This really works.  Non-toxic to humans.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Get Avon Skin so Soft...it's a moisterizing oil.

Mix 30/70 with water, spray animal, and rub in.  I tried it first, this year.

It works.........
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Cheep, too....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top