Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 5:46:08 PM EDT
Do they really expect anyone who is still trapped in an attic to be alive?  I figure you would have a day or so at the most with 90 degree heat.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Do they really expect anyone who is still trapped in an attic to be alive?  I figure you would have a day or so at the most with 90 degree heat.  

Don't know, I fear they are gonna find a LOT of peope who expired because they were traped IN the attic... :/
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
With a water seal underneath you'd better have some vents or you will smother.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do they really expect anyone who is still trapped in an attic to be alive?  I figure you would have a day or so at the most with 90 degree heat.  hr
I would expect just about anyone to be able to make a hole in a roof in 24 hours.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't they just swim out?

Seriously, just get over top of an exit door punch a hole in the celing and swim out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
People have survived in worse places for longer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you had some "tools" handy I find it hard to believe that many people are going to be able to "punch" their way through 3/4" plywood, 2 plastic boundry layers, tar paper and finally through the shingles...

-Derek

Quoted:

Seriously, just get over top of an exit door punch a hole in the celing and swim out.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Unless you had some "tools" handy I find it hard to believe that many people are going to be able to "punch" their way through 3/4" plywood, 2 plastic boundry layers, tar paper and finally through the shingles...

-Derek

Anyone with even the smallest amount of will to live will surely be able to do it, pretty easily actually.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
pocketknive, bic lighter, prettu simple and your out, given that you have 24 hours
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
you would be amazed at what people can do when hard pressed, and you'll be equally amazed how easily some people give up, survival has to do alot with willpower
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I wasn't aware attics were even built without a vent.  Most of them large enough that you could kick out and crawl out of if you were sub 350lbs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of houses down there are one story.  Shep on Fox talked about they expect to find people who noticed the water and went up to the attic.  After awhile the water was up almost to the roof of the attic and it was probably too late to swim out and survive.   I'm guessing lots of people have probably died do to that exact scenario.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wasn't aware attics were even built without a vent.  Most of them large enough that you could kick out and crawl out of if you were sub 350lbs.

From the pics I have seen on TV, this could be a big part of the problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Derek

I think he meant move to a spot in the attic near the font door of your house and punch down through the sheetrock and swim out your front door.  You wouldn't even need to punch.  Just stand on it and you'll fall through.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
you would be amazed at what people can do when hard pressed, and you'll be equally amazed how easily some people give up, survival has to do alot with willpower

Exactly.  With some willpower, even the weakest of women could punch thru a wall with only their fist.  People have cut their arm off to live.

Quoted:
Lots of houses down there are one story.  Shep on Fox talked about they expect to find people who noticed the water and went up to the attic.  After awhile the water was up almost to the roof of the attic and it was probably too late to swim out and survive.   I'm guessing lots of people have probably died do to that exact scenario.  hr
I guess that's where the intelligence part enters the equation.  Even the slightest bit of common sense would tell you to work on a way to get out if the water (that pushed you into the attic) keeps coming up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

-Derek

Quoted:

I've been roofing for about 7 years.  I've never seen 3/4" ply used to sheet a roof.  Not even my roof that has clay shingles.

Usually it is 3/8-1/2"ply with 15-30 lb paper, then the shingles.

I'd also venture to say that most people physically fit would be able to escape, but not alot.

You also have to remember it is about 100 degrees ambient temp there.  It's probably 120+ in the attic.  Your dehydrate before you get through the roof.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Derek

Anyone with even the smallest amount of will to live will surely be able to do it, pretty easily actually.  

If Aron Ralston survived his ordeal I would think people should be able to find their way out of a frickin attic. If not... well I have on simple word: Darwinism.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top