Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 3:51:33 PM EDT
I was talking with someone earlier that has big regrets on his life's work choice. He got me wondering.
What did you want to be when you grew up? What was your life's aspiration's? Did you become what you wanted or go a different direction?

I wanted to be a LEO. My life went way differently. I am a contractor with two different businesses. Not really any regrets though.

What about you?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Ever since I was a wee lad, I wanted to be a moderator. Unfortunately, I was not merciless enough, and thus the dream remained unrealized...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Ever since I was a wee lad, I wanted to be a moderator. Unfortunately, I was not merciless enough, and thus the dream remained unrealized...

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to join the military but my dad would not have it.

So a couple of years later I became a cop instead.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Elementary school:  Astronaut - in the mighty Danish space program  
Middle school/early high school:  High-energy physicist
Late high school:  Engineer
Engineering University: anything but an engineer!!  

Now, I want to be a surfer!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I wanted to be the next Rambo till I herd what the guy said on predator.  I wanted to be a cop till I saw the way they are. I wanted to work for Boeing aircraft till there folding up shop. So I haul ass in a Chevette all summer , and run amok on the INTERNET all winter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I wanted to be a Naval Aviator. Me and my best friend from kindergarten.

He stopped growing at 5'8", I kept until 6'1". I was DQ'd because of height and foot problems.  He had a slot at Annapolis and was all set to go until he got a DUI. They kicked him to the curb and told him there was 1,000 other worthy men willing to take his slot (true). I'm sure I could've gone Infantry and made something of myself, but when I was growing up Vientam was winding down and Infantry officer was not a well-regarded profession.

I interviewed at CIA, FBI, NSA but all involved quant or accountancy and being underpaid for it to boot. One of them offered a position paying $22k in 1991 for a masters degree in engineering. No thanks.

So now I just hoard negative information on people and companies. Debt problems, medical problems, legal problems, bill problems, I'm the keeper.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
An Oscar Meyer Wiener.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
USAF Fighter Pilot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The guy who played the piano in those jazz lounges. You know, a tux in front of the piano, while this blonde in a red slinky dress sang. I'm not kidding.

My slot in the Navy NUPOC program went instead to a Latina out of UCDavis in some bullshit major.

Turned down a offer from CIA to enter "clandestine operations."

Now I'm a grad student trying to get my masters' and life, though there's very little pay, is nice and easy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How funny!

I'M a surfer, and I want to be an engineer

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If I could do things differently I would be in Federal LE working for an alphabet agency.
I wound up going to school for engineering, then taking a job after my first 2 years.

I have a good career, and make a good living, but I always wondered what it would have been like to pursue a career in the big leagues.

My big issue is that I messed around with drugs when I was younger.
I dont touch the stuff in any way and havent for many years. I despise that shit and would never put that stuff in my body ever again...but at this point, I could never pass a lie detector examination, and without a degree in criminal justice, or experience as a cop, no military background....I think my chances of ever getting into an 'agency' are pretty much nill

I do regret it....big time.....if I could go back in time my life would have turned out significantly different.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]
<sigh>

I used to want to be an aerospace engineer w/ NASA (that was in High School).

Then I wanted to be a stormchaser (after I got my basically useless Poli Sci degree).

Now I just want to be a good dad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I never wanted to cut hair for a living... I wanted to be... a lumberjack!

And I'm very disappointed that I'm the first one who thought to post this.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
<sigh>

I used to want to be an aerospace engineer w/ NASA (that was in High School).

Then I wanted to be a stormchaser (after I got my basically useless Poli Sci degree).

That is job #1 (or at least should be) - you have nothing to <sigh> over (unfortunately there are countless other dads that don't share your aspirations)

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm 45 , I'll get back to you when I figure it out
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I wanted to be a Marine.

My grandfather (mom's side) served, Landed at Omaha and fought his way to germany.  My Grandfather (dad's side) fought in the pacific.  My uncle was an pilot in nam.   Over all my family had served in the Army, Navy, and Air force.  We were missing the Marine Corp so that was my goal.

Parents were not to happy with that idea when they found out.  A knee injury later squashed any chances of it.

I still wonder what I'd be doing but I guess I'll always wonder that.  I work IT/IS in the medical field now.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
At one times I wanted to be a Herpetologist(studies reptiles and amphibians) and a Geologist. Before that I wanted to be in the Army and thats where I sit right now :P

Late high school I wanted to be a stoner and did that for a couple of years too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#20]
<<<<< never was a 'High Achiever' and don't care.I have my roof over my head,steady paying job with benefits and money going into a 457 plan if I make retirement my soul will be what it's worth for the effort given in life and I will be complacent with that outcome
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I want to be perfect.

And then I realized it would never happen.  So now I try my best.

I also wanted to join the military.  I tried to join once.  But they refused me because of my back.  I might be able to get in now if i wanted to.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Jedi Knight
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I want to be the first white boy on the cover oF JET magazine. . .
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Jedi Knight

Sith Lord here.

Girls dig the helmet.  

This I know from Spaceballs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How funny!

I'M a surfer, and I want to be an engineer

You're a surfer ?!?   That is so cool.  

I occasionally go out to LA to hang out with a buddy who lives in Santa Monica, and I'm thinking next time I go (probably Janurary or something like that), I might try to drive up the coast a little (past Malibu) and try to rent a surfboard.  Are you anywhere near there?  Maybe you can give me some pointers, and tell me how to avoid being eaten by a Great White.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I wanted, and still WANT TO SHOOT FROZEN CHICKENS OUT OF CANNONS AT THE WINDOWS OF AIRPLANES.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I occasionally go out to LA to hang out with a buddy who lives in Santa Monica, and I'm thinking next time I go (probably Janurary or something like that), I might try to drive up the coast a little (past Malibu) and try to rent a surfboard.  Are you anywhere near there?  Maybe you can give me some pointers, and tell me how to avoid being eaten by a Great White.

Thanks DK

Yes I can surf, but didn't see much of the beach this summer...

Where are you going? Ventura? Santa Barbara? I'm south of LA, but might be able to get up there for a day.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks DK

Yes I can surf, but didn't see much of the beach this summer...

Where are you going? Ventura? Santa Barbara? I'm south of LA, but might be able to get up there for a day.

I don't really know - when I visit my friend, we usually just hang out in Santa Monica, but I remember driving up the coast from his place (the road right by the water) to a dive/suft shop that was about half hours' drive North.  Not sure exactly what area that was, but there were definitely surfers out there.

I wouldn't want you to go to any trouble (and certainly wouldn't want you to take a long drive for my sake) - but when I head out to L.A. next time, I might send you an IM/email, just to see if there's a chance.  If there's good surfing down south of LA, maybe I'll borrow his car and come down.  Since I'm a complete doofus on a surfboard, I'm perfectly willing to drive a bit for some free advice

Thanks!    
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Ya gotta go to Huntington Beach, if not for the surf, then for the women playing beach volleyball

Oh, and there's a little place up the coast, called Solvang, which, according to their website, is "The Danish Dutch Capital of America."
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ya gotta go to Huntington Beach, if not for the surf, then for the women playing beach volleyball

+1 on the surfing

HB native
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I wanted to be The Defender of All Things Good and Noble.

That didnt work out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if it’s too late to be come a Homicidal Maniac and have a movie made about my life?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
USAF Fighter Pilot.

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Started out wanting to be a musician/composer.

Graduated with a BA in Music Theory.

Went back to college to study computer science.

Been a software engineer for a little over 15 years.

Now I want to be a musician again.

Or maybe I'll go to law school.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#36]
USAF Fighter Pilot.
I wanted to fly this.

Found out I couldn't.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#37]
<-------------

Ever since I was a little kid playing with GI Joes, I wanted to be a commando.

Well, I did my four as an 0311 in the Marines, got to go to Afghanistan...and I got out.

Now I don't know what the fuck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
USAF Fighter Pilot.
I wanted to fly this.

www.joekline.com/images/f105.jpg

Found out I couldn't.

I'm wondering, why was the nickname of the 105 the same word as something hitting the ground?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:43:37 AM EDT
[#39]
The blob would be a cool thing to be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I too had a burning desire to be a fighter pilot.

As a kid growing up in the 70's I read every book on military aviation I could lay my hands on. I Knew what I had to do and how I was going to do it. Until I went nearsighted at the age of 14....

I ended up joining the USMC and found myself in aviation. Got to be a KC-130 Flight Engineer. Closest I would ever come to military pilot. Can't complain at all, I did the best with what I had to work with.

Now I work for a major airline. Time will only tell if that will last. If it doesn't, I could always go back to being the floor mopper at the peep show....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:56:39 AM EDT
[#41]
A fighter pilot. That would have been awesome.
Im 6'1" and around 275. I wonder if I could fit in a plane cockpit?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:11:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
<sigh>

Awsome!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:48:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I never wanted to cut hair for a living... I wanted to be... a lumberjack!

And I'm very disappointed that I'm the first one who thought to post this.

www.rockford.uic.edu/jc/I'm%20a%20lumberjack.jpg

No Kidding.  I am glad someone go it in....

Geoff
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:31:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Let's see, accomplished a few good things, and a few bad, but still one regret. I always wanted to be an Army man, from the days of my youth playing 'Army' in Central Park, but I settled for the Marines.

That wasn't my regret though
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top