Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/31/2005 3:43:39 PM EDT
Listening to Pat White 1190 WOWO out of Fort Wayne an hour ago, a woman driving down near Dayton on I75 called in. She said truck drivers are going nuts on the CB  because of gas prices and are going to start parking it the middle of the roadways in 48 hours. In the last 12 hours, gas has went up by $.51 /per.

Time to stock up on food and tp.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny---I was just talking to one of my coworkers today about how long it would be before the truckers have had enough.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That is probably what it will take! When nobody CAN drive, nobody WILL drive....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Time to tow the rigs and impound them.  Charge all the owners with misconduct during an emergency, yank their CDLs and jail them.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Time to tow the rigs and impound them.  Charge all the owners with misconduct during an emergency, yank their CDLs and jail them.

Yep.

Where in the statute is "misconduct during an emergency" and comes up with laws phrased like that?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Damned JBT!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
When that happens, consider the rigs abandonded and simply remove the payload.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Truckers will just pass along the higher fuel prices to their customers.  They always have.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Bleh...

Private drivers would do well to remember the people they feed, carry their home and truck loans. Finish their load and rase their rates... simple stuff kids.

Corp drivers already know the score and the "gas panic" is not costing them a dime anyway.

The whole thing is a fart in a windstorm.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

don't forget the "impeding traffic" skid for good measure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you ever listened to the CB? There's no way in hell they could organize such a thing (and I come from a family of two truckers). They bicker worse than arfcommers!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#13]
you guys have to think that everything in America is moved by trucks.  If gas for the trucks runs $2.50 per gal and a truck gets 3 miles per gal.  Go figure what it cost the truck to move just in gas alone.  What do you think a truck makes per mile?  

Less than $2 per mile for the company.  Not to the truck.  What about insurance for that rig, or anything for the drivers.   This is a really tough time for the truckers.  Only because people do not want to pay what it takes to run a truck.  

I speak from 20 years in the trucking industry.  I run a 3rd party logistics company.  You pay $18 per fed-ex letter but from Miami to Atlanta you pay $900 on a good day to run and that is hauling 45 to 48000 lbs of something.  

Trucking is a really hard job.  Not in that its hard to drive a truck but to sit in a truck day in and day out and dealing with retards on the hiway.  Its a really tough industry but America would freeze if truckers all but quit their jobs.  

I think they should protest!  I think we all should.  But the only thing its going to hurt is US.  

I say we just take over the oil fields and kill the tree huggers and build some more ways to refine oil.  Its going to take some stepping on peoples feet to get this under control till we find another way to fuel America.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I hope they pick the PA Turnpike and shut that 300 mile craterfest down. What a disgrace, and we have to PAY for the privilege of driving on that POS. I am 600 billion % behind the truckers and anyone else that can put that dog of a road out to pasture for good.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Like it would do any help.  Just get a Bull Dozer and push it off.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

And just WHO would do the towing? Remember 1973-74? The Ohio Hyway Patrol,sur e could'nt! Only the Army could stop the strike(which Nixon threatened then!). BTW,truckers,would,nt just park,but put their trucks in an interlocking jacknife,very hard to break up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]
edit, nevermind

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Guess they're above the law or something.   They can't block my 4WD.   It'll cost a lot to replace 18 tires as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Have you ever listened to the CB? There's no way in hell they could organize such a thing (and I come from a family of two truckers). They bicker worse than arfcommers!

Remember the independent trucker strike way back when?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

10-15 maybe.  Thousands , no.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Time to bring back the trains...wait a minute, many of those have been converted to bike trails...nevermind...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
you guys have to think that everything in America is moved by trucks.  If gas for the trucks runs $2.50 per gal and a truck gets 3 miles per gal.  Go figure what it cost the truck to move just in gas alone.  What do you think a truck makes per mile?  

Less than $2 per mile for the company.  Not to the truck.  What about insurance for that rig, or anything for the drivers.   This is a really tough time for the truckers.  Only because people do not want to pay what it takes to run a truck.  

I speak from 20 years in the trucking industry.  I run a 3rd party logistics company.  You pay $18 per fed-ex letter but from Miami to Atlanta you pay $900 on a good day to run and that is hauling 45 to 48000 lbs of something.  

Trucking is a really hard job.  Not in that its hard to drive a truck but to sit in a truck day in and day out and dealing with retards on the hiway.  Its a really tough industry but America would freeze if truckers all but quit their jobs.  

I think they should protest!  I think we all should.  But the only thing its going to hurt is US.  

I say we just take over the oil fields and kill the tree huggers and build some more ways to refine oil.  Its going to take some stepping on peoples feet to get this under control till we find another way to fuel America.  

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't tow them.  Send demolition teams with large enough explosives to obliterate the truck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember the independent trucker strike way back when?

Sure, back when they refered to each other as "Good buddy" instead of "asshole" and "cock holster". Back when "have yourself a fine one" was prefered over "Shut the fuck up, stupid" and mail order fart noises from Copper Electronics. It's really bad nowdays. I ought to hang out at one of the turnpike service plazas and record 19 for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

10-4

I heard that!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Wont do any good, it is not going to hurt the people that sell us the feule. it willonly hurt us by making prices on everything higher. Does anyone remenber the movie on FX? It seems like it is going on right now.

Quoted:
Listening to Pat White 1190 WOWO out of Fort Wayne an hour ago, a woman driving down near Dayton on I75 called in. She said truck drivers are going nuts on the CB  because of gas prices and are going to start parking it the middle of the roadways in 48 hours. In the last 12 hours, gas has went up by $.51 /per.

Time to stock up on food and tp.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Where's the killdozer when you need it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Time to bring back the trains...wait a minute, many of those have been converted to bike trails...nevermind...

Coal engines - no oil , forget the new ones
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#31]
It'll be mostly owner/operators who hurt the most. Most of then will just say "fuck it",take the truck home and let the repo man come get it. All depends on whether his/her company is getting a surcharge,and whether the surcharge is keeping up with the price increases. Ol' driver once told me this,"When times are bad,act like they're bad,that way when they get bad,they're not so bad"
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

damn! I agree with the site JBT!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, let's take the time to shit on the people who keep our economy ticking.

Real smart, guys.

Something's got to give, because I know for a fact that truckers are bleeding out right now and it's just getting worse every week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I say we just take over the oil fields and kill the tree huggers and build some more ways to refine oil.  

+1

Well...maybe we should banish the tree huggers to the Amazon rain forest where they could contract a horrible desease.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#36]
it'll do more than that damn forwarded email about not buying gas one day will do
hell, they pull that around here and I'll drive down to the on ramp with a case of water to hand out to each truck driver
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It'll be mostly owner/operators who hurt the most. Most of then will just say "fuck it",take the truck home and let the repo man come get it. All depends on whether his/her company is getting a surcharge,and whether the surcharge is keeping up with the price increases. Ol' driver once told me this,"When times are bad,act like they're bad,that way when they get bad,they're not so bad"

That may be what I do sometime soon.

Our company told us a few day ago that they are trying to get a new surcharge for us. But that was BEFORE the CAT hit and fuel prices went to shit. I have no idea what will happen now and can not get a straight answer from our company. I will be calling them again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Well, you're pretty much right on except for the protest part. Truckers, like landscapers, FedEx, UPS etc. just need to raise their prices accordingly, fuel surcharge. It's costing all truckers the same in losses, they shouldn't take the hit. Raise prices to compensate, it's called inflation. Yep, grocerys will cost more, as will everything else. Just they way it goes. If/When fuel prices drop, competition will take over and freight prices will drop.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#39]
FWIW, with the relaxation of the EPA standards, truckers will be able to burn the higher sulphur off road diesel. Fuel prices should stabilize in the next few weeks & begen to drop some. THe one thing the President should have brought up and I was disappointed that he didn't was everyone should make an effort to conserve. Carpool, mass transit etc. He should have a made a WW2 style plea for folks to cut back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I didn't think that was possible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you're pretty much right on except for the protest part. Truckers, like landscapers, FedEx, UPS etc. just need to raise their prices accordingly, fuel surcharge. It's costing all truckers the same in losses, they shouldn't take the hit. Raise prices to compensate, it's called inflation. Yep, grocerys will cost more, as will everything else. Just they way it goes. If/When fuel prices drop, competition will take over and freight prices will drop.

Yeah,but it all depends on whether trucking companies can get the surcharge,from the customers/brokers,and also whether the shippers can even eat such a massive surcharge increase,and or pass it on! How much can folks pay?(lots and lots of folks now barely living paycheck to paycheck/living way beyond their means),this shit is gonna hurt hard!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Just talked to a driver friend of mine(LTK driver) who is out of PA. He already knew about it and said it will most likly happen. I asked if he would park on the road. He told me no, just stay home for the day. It costs them $0.55 a mile now and they chrage a $0.22 surchrage for fuel and the suchrage changes as the fuel prices change. His last tank cost $687, and that was a few days ago. I've talked to ex g/f who father is a fedex driver and they are talking about doing it also.

So just in case it does happen, my faimly and I are stocking up on food and what not. Lets hope fuel prices drop.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

All the winter drivers are already out in force, making it impossible to go anywhere after work in a timely manner. I hate winter not just because it gets cold.
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody snaps and shoots a stopped driver.

some of us shoot back
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Time to move to a desolate island and isolate ourselves from everything and just survive on our own.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Much as I hate people blocking up the roads, it's about time people start showing their frustration.  I keep seeing on the news these little "interviews" with people at the pumps.  "Sure, the prices are high, but I'm not going to change my driving habits much.  Just suck up and pay it, I guess."  Where do they find these morons?  

The "inflation" model doesn't work because most the oil is from an outside sourse.  The truckers up their prices, so the wholesalers up theirs.  The retailers up their prices, and the consumer starts asking for higher wages.  When prices across the board go up the value of the Dollar goes down.  None of this effects those who sell the crude oil in the first place.  They are free of the cycle they created.  Their oil will just go up in price to match the reduced value of the Dollar, and the truckers will need to up their prices, again.

And don't forget, as winter aproaches heating oil will become a factor in the shortage.  Measures to lower the prices will only get offset by the comming cold.  I'm thinking a lot of people are going to have a hard time for a while.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Yeah, let's take the time to shit on the people who keep our economy ticking.

Real smart, guys.

Something's got to give, because I know for a fact that truckers are bleeding out right now and it's just getting worse every week.

WB,

I have no doubt that they are hurting and the gas prices could put the independents out of business, but that does not give them the right to shit on us by arbitrarily blocking interstates with their rigs.....The old "I'm pissed off and unhappy, so I'll make the rest of the people around me pissed off and unhappy" bullshit ain't going to work....The JBTs should push their fuck'n rigs right off the road if they abandon them there.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Blocking the roads isn't what they should do. As someone else said, they need to just park somewhere and not drive for two days. Find a truck stop, a parking lot, a large street, etc.

Much as I hate people blocking up the roads, it's about time people start showing their frustration. I keep seeing on the news these little "interviews" with people at the pumps. "Sure, the prices are high, but I'm not going to change my driving habits much. Just suck up and pay it, I guess." Where do they find these morons?

The "inflation" model doesn't work because most the oil is from an outside sourse. The truckers up their prices, so the wholesalers up theirs. The retailers up their prices, and the consumer starts asking for higher wages. When prices across the board go up the value of the Dollar goes down. None of this effects those who sell the crude oil in the first place. They are free of the cycle they created. Their oil will just go up in price to match the reduced value of the Dollar, and the truckers will need to up their prices, again.

And don't forget, as winter aproaches heating oil will become a factor in the shortage. Measures to lower the prices will only get offset by the comming cold. I'm thinking a lot of people are going to have a hard time for a while.

This is correct. Simply saying "that's no problem, I'll just raise my prices" doesn't solve a motherfucking thing. Who gets fucked in the end? You and me. Cut the bullshit about capitalism and socialism and think for a moment. Sure, you don't NEED gas to drive, but you sure do need food and water and clothes. You probably need oil to heat your home too. What the fuck are you going to do when a loaf of bread costs twice what it did a month ago, a shirt costs a third more than it did, and heating oil costs three times or more what it did? Some of you might make upper five figures or more, but most people are just trying to make an honest living and the increased prices are really hurting them.

Some of you people are really myopic and downright stupid when you say this is how a free market works. Eventually the greed spirals out of hand and prices explode, then guess what happens. I don't want the government to step in, and I don't want truckers to block the roads. I want truckers to not drive for two days and make the stores run out of goods and in turn cause people to stand up. It isn't just the oil companies, but the goddamn environazis that need to start fearing a backlash. Only when people are pissed off enough will the oil companies and legislators (pass new laws allowing new refineries to be easier to build) wake up and realize they need to act.

I really do hope that truckers can organize and mount a protest and cause everyone else to stand up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I am an independent owner/operator. I first toyed with trucks in 1981. Everyone said get a dollar a mile and you'll do ok. Fuel was 69 cents a fallon, insurance was 15 bucks a day and it cost 47 a month for the license and tonnage on my truck. Guess what? Today, fuel is over three dollars a gallon, insurance is 900 a month, license and tonnage costs 2500 a year and shippers are STILL trying to get loads moved for a buck a mile! Bear in mind, every 50 cent increase in fuel represents a 15000 dollar DECREASE in pay per year. That's based on a 100,000 mile year, the industry standard. Yesterday I calculated my fuel cost at $1.55 per mile. So ya wanna drive a truck, huh? I have for the last year, avoided all cheap freight. I don't want to fan the flame that burns me. So, my reward for standing in the door, fighting the good fight, is a thousand dollar "refund" on my taxes. That's because I made so little after expenses, I qualified for the Earned Income Credit. Your welfare dollars at work. In the last three years, I've eaten up all my credit cards and sold off probably 25% of my assets. Sure do hope things come around soon, ya know? On the road, I budget $10 per week for food and only shower when it's free. So, ya wanna be a trucker, huh?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I budget $10 per week for food and only shower when it's free. So, ya wanna be a trucker, huh?

I hear you loud and clear. I run a 1 ton so my expense is no where close to yours but I understand fully.

BTW: I have many free Flying J showers on my card. If you REALLY need a shower between your free ones give me a yell. I'll be more that happy to help out a fellow ARFcommer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top