Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 3:08:08 PM EDT
if I filled up my gastank and parked my car in the garage, how long will the gas last in storage? because i always keep my spare car with a full tank of gas.

a few months? a year?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, but there are "stabilizers" that supposedly increase its longevity radically.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
my lawn mower came with a stabilizer pack..
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Those paranoid tin foil hat wearing folks in the survival forum would be able to tell you.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Regular gas starts to seperate after a few months. Buy a product called STA-BIL should keep the gas good for 1 year. Diesel I believe with Sta-bil in it is good for 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
We may not get a chance to find out. The Chevron stations from my town to Huntsville got 1/2 of their last order delivered. Don't buy a lot of StaBil, you may use it sooner than you think.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Those prepared folks in the survival forum would be able to tell you.  

Fixed
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
3-6 months depending on temp and humididty. I race motocross bikes and found that stabilizers work extreamly well to store gas. I've stored gas for about a year using fuel stabilizers
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Use fuel stabilizer (Stabil) to prolong the fuel's life. I stored my cars for 11 months when I went overseas, and they started right up when I came back....

ETA: Be sure to first top off the tank before storing the vehicle so as to avoid condensation...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Regular gas starts to seperate after a few months. Buy a product called STA-BIL should keep the gas good for 1 year. Diesel I believe with Sta-bil in it is good for 5 years.

I rotate once year, untreated. Never had any problems.

That being said, treating with Sta-bil dosen't hurt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
6 months.....additives in it maybe a year
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those prepared folks in the survival forum would be able to tell you.  

Fixed

Yea, I was being a smartass.  Many of the more valid questions asked today in GD would quickly find the answers in the survival forums.   That place is a wealth of info!  Now excuse me while I try to perfect my "dehydrated beer".  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got the gas from my trucks other tank which has not been working since Feb. it idels a little rough but other that is ok. So that should give you some kind of idea.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Some people have been answering this question by stating that they just started using Y2K gas within the last year or so with no problems.  Most if it was sealed in 55 gallon barrels (i.e. little to no condensation) plus they added stabilizers.

In steel cans, with very little head room and stabilizers stored in a cool dry place, it should last 1-2 years.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top