Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 3:00:59 PM EDT
I have seen it happen over and over again over several administrations where people will criticize the president over taking "vacations."  I really don't think that, as president, you ever truly take a vacation.  It's a four year term of non-stop work.  It's not like a president goes off to a resort to lounge around at a beach and drink margaritas.  I just don't see it being possible for them to say "fuck it, I am on vacation, let someone else deal with it....whhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........."

Especially with modern communications.  You can keep up to date on everything and easily contact your advisors.

All it is is a change of scenery when they get tired of hanging around the damn Whitehouse...which is a quite healthy thing for them to do in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, they are lucky to get 5 minutes of peace on the shitter.  Let alone a "vacation".

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hell, they are lucky to get 5 minutes of peace on the shitter.  Let alone a "vacation".

Lot of people I know don t seem to understand that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Because people by and large are a bunch of pussies that need to be constantly held by the hand and told "Don't worry its okay!"

If they don't think their problems are being fixed for them 24/7 they get all butthurt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Most people don't take 5 weeks in a row of vacation and if they did they wouldn't have a job when they got back.  Granted he's on a working vacation but it just rubs people the wrong way to see the high and mighty doing things the average joe can't do even with 30 years in at a company.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most people don't take 5 weeks in a row of vacation and if they did they wouldn't have a job when they got back.  Granted he's on a working vacation but it just rubs people the wrong way to see the high and mighty doing things the average joe can't do even with 30 years in at a company.

You know what the average Joe can do about it????

Become the fucking President!!!!

God dammit I fucking hate whiners!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Most people can't fathom the responsibility that a President has.  They compare their "vacations" to his because they know no other kind.  The responsbilities that he has under the Constitution don't wait until he comes back from Texas

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's ludicrous.  He's not lounging around all day, he's simply working from somewhere other than the White House.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, the media's doing it with this administration because it hasn't got anything else to criticize it with.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I think alot of people do not think of the Presidency as a job....its more of a calling so the normal 40 hrs a week times 50 weeks doesn't really apply here....most people feel if you are President you need to be available all the time for the 4-8 yrs you are in office.....while I realize that the President never truly gets a vacation, and that he is working on his ranch in Crawford its entirely symbolic.
IMO GWB made a mistake "flying over" the devastation in the Gulf. I know the security concerns that would be required of an announced visit, and that it would tie up valualble resources very much needed for relief right now......but I was expecting him to drop down and help out......pictures of him handing out water bottles and shaking hands telling people he is going to do everything he can would go along way towards his approval rating right now, and get the Libs off his back for maybe a minute or so.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

IMO GWB made a mistake "flying over" the devastation in the Gulf. I know the security concerns that would be required of an announced visit, and that it would tie up valualble resources very much needed for relief right now......but I was expecting him to drop down and help out......pictures of him handing out water bottles and shaking hands telling people he is going to do everything he can would go along way towards his approval rating right now, and get the Libs off his back for maybe a minute or so.

Oh please!  That's so stupid I just can't type a response.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
It's the liberal media politicizing everything. It's got nothing to do with what the Average Joe thinks, but instead with what the liberal media wants us to think. Their political criticism is what's infiltrating the liberal household, providing them with material to whine about.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate to say it ,but this country has more dumbass people than any other country in the world.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See my first post in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that.....do you think it is wrong for him to try something to appeal to the sheeple every now and then........the Dems use it with terrible success.......and if they would not have nominated an A$$hat like John Kerry GWB might not even be in office right now............right now the door is open for someone to step in.......if Hitlery shows up first and gets some camera time it will not help us in the next election at all......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most people can't fathom the responsibility that a President has.  They compare their "vacations" to his because they know no other kind.  The responsbilities that he has under the Constitution don't wait until he comes back from Texas

That is exactly what is feeding into the hype about his vacations, here you have the most powerful man on earth with tremendous responsibility and he's on vacation for 5 weeks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly what is feeding into the hype about his vacations, here you have the most powerful man on earth with tremendous responsibility and he's on vacation for 5 weeks!

What a steaming pile of hoeseshit. Try and sell that BS to someone stupid enough to buy it.

What is feeding the hype are political hacks who want to use a non issue to try and stir up a stink.

The President does not get vacations he just changes the place he works.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is that stupid?  I would like to see it.  I know Bush will be making a visit shortly but the sooner the better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Because even if he could find a place to land, the man has enough common sense to realize that he would be doing nothing but hindering the real efforts underway.  There's a time for political posturing and I'm sure it will come but now is not the time and I respect him for that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He has to go out there for 5 weeks...if not, who would chop all the mesquite??
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
It's only a fuss if the President is a Republican.

I like the idea of have a POTUS well rested, mind cleared, ready to take on the toughest job in the world again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not on a 5 week vacation, HE'S WORKING 16 HOURS A DAY !
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I really doubt that.  At least some have a clue here.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I hate to say it ,but this country has more dumbass people than any other country in the world.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
didn't you hear?
if bush hadn't been in Crawford the hurricane damage wouldn't have been so bad and it'd have all been cleaned up by now
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
didn't you hear?
if bush hadn't been in Crawford the hurricane damage wouldn't have been so bad and it'd have all been cleaned up by now

Bushed planned the Hurricane so he'd have an excuse to leave Crawford early thus spoiling Sheehans little left wing anti war party.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Gee...congress has been on vacation for the same 5 weeks, but nobody is criticizing Teddy Kennedy, Hillary or Barbara Boxer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I really doubt that.  At least some have a clue here.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

You doubt what?
That GW works 16 hours  a day?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Remember when Billy Boy Clinton was President?

He took a vacation out West (After polling to see what was most acceptable to people. They didn't like the elite Kennedy island so he went to Colorado).

While he was on vacation, the New York Times, among others just billed and cooed over how WONDERFUL it was that Billy was taking a break from all the stress, and worried that Clinton wasn't getting ENOUGH time away from the White House.  
They were so concerned that their Hero wasn't getting enough rest.

This was a President that traveled more than any other two presidents combined.
MOST of his trips WERE vacations to get him out of Washington and the scandal headlines.

The President DOESN'T GET vacations.  He just takes the enormous load somewhere else.

In this case the press hates him, AND are outraged that he'd DARE take a vacation in some Texas hell-hole away from the nice restaurants and bars where they like to go after hours.

There's nothing for these elite narcissistic boobs to do, so they play the "gotcha game".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top