BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:21:24 PM EDT
NORFOLK - The piers at Norfolk Naval Station and skies above Virginia Beach
and Chesapeake have been crowded since spring, but that will ease Thursday
when the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group heads to the Persian Gulf.

The group includes four Norfolk-based warships, a support ship and five
squadrons of local aircraft. More than 6,600 local sailors will sail on the
Roosevelt, destroyers Oscar Austin and Donald Cook and cruiser San Jacinto.

The deployment will be a last hurrah for the legendary F-14 Tomcat. The Navy's
last two squadrons flying the Cold War-era fighter jet - the Tomcatters of
VF-31 and the Blacklions of VF-213 , both based at Oceana Naval Air
Station - will embark on a final mission before the iconic planes are
retired completely.

Since the return of the Harry S. Truman in April , all of Norfolk's five
nuclear-powered carriers have been in port or the shipyard.

The Roosevelt eventually will replace the Bremerton, Wash.-based Nimitz ,
which is currently in the Persian Gulf.

Rounding out the naval parade is the Kanawha , a military sealift command
oiler crewed by about 80 civilians and 20 sailors , and Spanish frigate SPS
Alvaro de Bazan .

Carrier Strike Group 2 will be commanded by Rear Adm. James A. Winnefeld Jr.

Besides the Tomcats, two Oceana-based squadrons of F/A-18 Hornets will share
the flight deck with the Bear Aces , an E-2C Hawkeye squadron from Norfolk.

Hornet squadrons VFA-15 and VFA-87 - the Valions and Golden Warriors,
respectively - have kept the landing strips at Oceana and Chesapeake's
Fentress Naval Auxiliary Landing Field busy in recent weeks in preparation
for deployment.

Two helicopter squadrons from Jacksonville, Fla ., and a squadron of
Prowlers, tactical electronic warfare planes, from Whidbey Island, Wash. ,
also are deploying aboard the Roosevelt.

Carriers typically spend at least six months on deployment, meaning the
crews don't expect to be home until late January or sometime in February.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
they are retiring the F-14? I never heard that before. What are they replacing it with? Is it just going to be F/A-18 and JSF now? I loved those jets when I was a kid
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
they are retiring the F-14? I never heard that before. What are they replacing it with? Is it just going to be F/A-18 and JSF now? I loved those jets when I was a kid

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

??? I don't follow. Are you calling me a troll? Can't just answer a simple question?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
yes, their retiring the F-14 Tomcat, very bad decision IMO, but the Navy can do what it wants.

The Superbug is pretty damn cool though.  But id rather the Tomcat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]
End of an era.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My 2 slice toaster recently took a dump.  I was going to upgrade to a 4 slicer, but instead..........

...........I'm going to buy a Superhornet™!!!!

(Hey, someone had to do it)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Should the need for the F-14 arise again, whats the length of time any will be kept before getting sent to the Boneyard?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a bunch of them already at the boneyard.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Should the need for the F-14 arise again, whats the length of time any will be kept before getting sent to the Boneyard?

What need?
The Tomcats haven't been working the mission they were designed for.
And there are better aircraft for the missions they've been performing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Where is this "boneyard" you speak of?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tuscon, Arizona.  It holds thousands old jets/helos.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Groupbuy, anyone?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I cant say i am surprised, they have been falling apart for a few years now. it feels good to know that the USA can take jets that are older than the cars we drive and still open a can of whoop ass on whoever gets in the way. God its good to be American.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
So this "BoneYard" can you visit it to look at the stuff thats there?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What need?
The Tomcats haven't been working the mission they were designed for.
And there are better aircraft for the missions they've been performing.

The need they were originally designed for, dropping Bear's over the Atlantic and Pacific.

For fucks sake, think of it as a general question.  How long will an aircraft be maintained after being remove from active duty before being sent to the Boneyard?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Do a google search of Davis Monothan.

Very sad sight for avaition buffs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You anti aircraft bastard. Man, i wish i could have one of those.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do a google search of Davis Monothan.

Very sad sight for avaition buffs.

www.lunabase.org/~faber/Flying/asheville03/album/0.5x/davis_monthan.jpg

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Please don't post any chopped up B-52 pics.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

??? I don't follow. Are you calling me a troll? Can't just answer a simple question?

Welcome to the club, you had the nerve to ask a question, having only 336 post and not a team member you must therefore be a troll.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to the club, you had the nerve to ask a question, having only 336 post and not a team member you must therefore be a troll.

Oh well, whatever. I'll worry about some dork accusing me of being a troll on the internet some other day
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh well, whatever. I'll worry about some dork accusing me of being a troll on the internet some other day

It might have to do with the seemingly inevitable debate that emerges when the SuperBug is brought up in an F-14 thread.

I'm quite sure KA3B saw your comment as a lead in for a shitstrom. Whether or not that was your intent is open for debate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Just called the Navy about financing one,I'll pay them back $5 a month.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It might have to do with the seemingly inevitable debate that emerges when the SuperBug is brought up in an F-14 thread.

I'm quite sure KA3B saw your comment as a lead in for a shitstrom. Whether or not that was your intent is open for debate.

what is open for debate? I don't even know what a "superbug" is. I would guess the hornet? As for a shitstorm, the only thing that would lead to some sort of disagreement would be his failed attempt to identify me as a troll. So as far as that goes he can kiss my ass. Care to debate?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is open for debate? I don't even know what a "superbug" is. I would guess the hornet? As for a shitstorm, the only thing that would lead to some sort of disagreement would be his failed attempt to identify me as a troll. So as far as that goes he can kiss my ass. Care to debate?

You've been here at least since December. All the interesting F-18/F-14 debates I've seen have been since then, so there is a reasonable expectation that you have seen them.
Yes, the F-18 is known as the Bug and the F-18 Super Hornet is known as the SuperBug.
Your intent by bringing up the F-18 is open for debate. You are relatively new with a low post count, so you're a relatively unknown quantity. Your account has been open long enough to have seen the shitstorms caused by the whole -18/-14 thing. So, without knowing you, yes your intent is up for debate. Doesn't mean you're guilty of trying to start a storm, but it does raise questions. There have been many trolls here lately, so many are being extra sensative to those situations that might be a troll situation.
That's the situation. You can like it or hate it. I don't care. I was just trying to explain why KA3B had the reaction he did.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

KA3B was wrong to call troll, and 52brandon admits ignorance on the subject of F-14s vs "Superbug"

52brandons intent was clear, he asked a simple question and called a troll for it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've been here at least since December. All the interesting F-18/F-14 debates I've seen have been since then, so there is a reasonable expectation that you have seen them.
Yes, the F-18 is known as the Bug and the F-18 Super Hornet is known as the SuperBug.
Your intent by bringing up the F-18 is open for debate. You are relatively new with a low post count, so you're a relatively unknown quantity. Your account has been open long enough to have seen the shitstorms caused by the whole -18/-14 thing. So, without knowing you, yes your intent is up for debate. Doesn't mean you're guilty of trying to start a storm, but it does raise questions. There have been many trolls here lately, so many are being extra sensative to those situations that might be a troll situation.
That's the situation. You can like it or hate it. I don't care. I was just trying to explain why KA3B had the reaction he did.

You sure as hell like explaining what other people mean, or think, don't you? dport. Who the hell are you? And what makes you think 52brandon has seen any of those threads....assumptions are like assholes....no wonder new members are hesitant to post.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#28]
September 1 2005 will be a black day. For many reasons that I have stated in all the previous threads, this is truly a bad decision for the Navy, at this time.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#29]
The F-14 has been going away for a LONG time.
It's a favorite topic here on the board.

Me? If I want to know the answer to something quick I'll Google it.
If I want to get a bunch of smart-assed responses I'll ask the question in the GD forum.
If I want an answer with no bullshit I'll post it in the correct forum.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
yes, their retiring the F-14 Tomcat, very bad decision IMO, but the Navy can do what it wants.

Not an expert, but from what I understand most of the F14s are worn out. They have been flying for many hours over their design limit of the airframes. At some point these planes are becoming like an old family automobile, ie becoming very expensive to keep flying.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#31]
The F-14 fleet as it stands today....

VF-31 Tomcatters: The Tomcatters are still in full force, with about ten jets remaining in the squadron. Currently, VF-31 is on track to go on a cruise in the Persian Gulf with VF-213 Black Lions in early September, returning in the spring of 2006. When they return, it is likely they will fly the jets back to NAS Oceana and then send the jets to the Boneyard.  

VF-32 Swordsmen: Right now, the Swordsmen have returned from a cruise in the Mediterranean Sea. They will still have their F-14s at Oceana, and will be the only squadron present for the airshow in September. VF-32 has at least seven jets, including AC-100 (the black tail), AC-101 (with yellow markings on tail), and AC-112 (the retro bird).  Currently, the word is that VF-32 will send their planes to the Boneyard within a week or two after the Oceana airshow.  The unofficial and confirmed word is that AC-112 will fly a demonstration at the Oceana airshow and lead a pack of SIX F-14s in the fleet flyby.

VF-101 Grim Reapers: Being the Tomcat training squadron, the last class graduated in the spring of 2005, and VF-101 will slowly become disestablished, with their disestablishment ceremony taking place on September 15 (it is not open to the public). Right now, VF-101 has only have two F-14s and will keep at least one of the planes around until September for the airshow.  Regarding a Tomcat demo for the Oceana airshow, the demo will be flown in the VF-32 retro bird (AC-112) by a former demo crew from VF-101.

VF-213 Black Lions: The Black Lions will be on a Persian Gulf cruise with VF-31 Tomcatters in early September, returning sometime in the spring of 2006. The Black Lions and the Tomcatters have the honors of being the last two squadrons to fly the F-14 Tomcat.

How can I see an F-14 in flight this year?: Make a trip to NAS Oceana to do some spotting outside the base. Make sure you go on a weekday, since more flying is done on weekdays than on the weekend. Chances are, for every twenty Hornets or Super Hornets, you will see one Tomcat.
That ratio will grow more and more whereby come November, there will be nothing but Hornets and Super Hornets over the skies of Virginia Beach.
Come to the NAS Oceana Airshow in September.

How can I see an F-14 in flight in 2006?
Find out when VF-31 and VF-213 return from deployment and watch the Tomcats land at NAS Oceana. Fine out when they are leaving for the final flight to Davis-Monthan.
Be at one of the refueling stops along the way.
Watch the final landing of the F-14 at Davis-Monthan.

Official Tomcat Retirement Date: Spring 2006

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#32]

I guess I blew my last chance to see a Tomcat for the final time by missing the Van Nuys Air Expo this summer.

Will ANY Tomcats still be in airworthy condition after their official retirement for airshows and the like?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes and no.

F-14's will be stored at Davis-Monthan in flyable storage.
Unless they make a QF-14 (drone target) I doubt they will ever fly again.
They might be a SLIM possibility that "a couple" might be leased to private contractors to be used as DCAM trainers.

There are a couple of F-8's that are still in flyable condition.

Perhaps the Collins Foundation might be able to get an F-14D like they got their F-4E for a historic flight

There is no DOD historic flight program like the UK MOD has.

Quoted:
Will ANY Tomcats still be in airworthy condition after their official retirement for airshows and the like?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the information. It looks like they will effectively be mothballed and eventually scrapped.

Quoted:
There is no DOD historic flight program like the UK MOD has.

This is a sad commentary on the DOD IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#35]
VFA-87 My old squadron. Its kinda made me nostalgic.

I sure miss the planes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I cant say i am surprised, they have been falling apart for a few years now. it feels good to know that the USA can take jets that are older than the cars we drive guys flying em and still open a can of whoop ass on whoever gets in the way. God its good to be American.

Fixed that for ya  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Already there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Swindle1984:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Groupbuy, anyone?

How about a F-4?

Originally Posted By zeekh
So this "BoneYard" can you visit it to look at the stuff thats there?

Yep
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Lets see, I see a Starfighters of VF-33, Black Aces of VF-41 and a VF-84 or 103 Jolly Roger

Makes me sad and feel old to see the F-14 go away, but she had a very distinguished career, and I am glad I got to be part of it
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#41]
It will be missed. Time to move on. Much like we did with the P51, F86, F4, and every famous aircraft we made and used.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#43]
The history channel had a 1 hour special on about a month ago on the "boneyard". how things were brought in processed and stored and scraped when called for. Quite a interesting show. Many of the aircraft are simply kept as spare parts stoarge. they did show how the A-10 was mothballed then no sooner called back to active and shipped to Iraq for the gulf war.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You sure as hell like explaining what other people mean, or think, don't you? dport. Who the hell are you? And what makes you think 52brandon has seen any of those threads....assumptions are like assholes....no wonder new members are hesitant to post.

Your anger towards me is misdirected.

I thought the man deserved an explaination. I wasn't accusing him of being a troll. I merely explained why some might think he was. In fact, when I read his post I had the same thought initially.

The fact is trolls generally follow the same pattern. They are relatively new. They have low post counts. And they usually post something they know will cause a shitstorm. And lately they have been out in force. When you look at these things you have to take in the totality of the circumstances.

If I was wrong about why KA3B had the reaction he did, KA3B is more than welcome to correct me.

Like I said, I was simply pointing out to a new member why his post may have been interperated as a troll post. He can take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

KA3B was wrong to call troll, and 52brandon admits ignorance on the subject of F-14s vs "Superbug"

52brandons intent was clear, he asked a simple question and called a troll for it.

The question may appear to be harmless; however, based on past experience that is exactly how a troll operates.

If you practice a little reading comprehension, you'll notice I never said he was a troll.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Jeeze, this is for the soft touchy-feely liberals and democrats that have posted to this topic.....

(Smiley face denotes HUMOR)

I NEVER called anyone a troll.
Anytime there is an F-14 or F-18 topic posted to the GD forum it turns into a swing-fest.

The way the question was posted made it seem like "someone" was using a TROLL ACCOUNT to post to this thread.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, they certainly managed to accomplish driving this off topic.

I'm sorry I fed them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#48]
We should melt those suckers down and use the metals to build new fighters. There's titanium and aluminum in those airframes!

It'll be just like melting a piece off the WTC to build a Navy warship.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
www.lunabase.org/~faber/Flying/asheville03/album/0.5x/davis_monthan.jpg

That retired fleet of airframes is larger than most of the world's air forces. USA all the way baby!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
maps.google.com/maps?q=Tucson,+Arizona&ll=32.161699,-110.841794&spn=0.025091,0.040525&t=k&hl=en

You can zoom in & move around.  What a grim display :(

How many B-52's are still servicable there?

It's probably just an old pic, but there are a lot of -52's there that DON'T have the wings chopped off.... I thought when the 52's went there, we chopped them...

ETA:  For that matter, is there a list of what's maintained there?  I see delta wings... F-106's?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top