Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 12:31:54 PM EDT

Hello all you electrical wizards out there  -

I need to know the difference between generator with and without an inverter. My understanding is you can't run electronics like computers, TV, or anything with logic circuits unless you have an inverter without damaging the electronics in the product. Apparently you can only run things like refridgerators, microwaves, blenders, portable heaters, lights and stoves, dumb appliances and anything with a motor is OK. Is this correct?

Assuming that...

Will a surge protector on the end of an extension cord take the place of an inverter, or is that something totally different and won't work to prevent damage?  Will a backup UPS between a portable generator and computer, etc, suffice? Is there any way to make this work if my generator doesn't have a built in inverter?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd ask this in the survival forum, you'd probably have better results.  But My .02 is surge supressor in this case is worthless.  The UPS may work, but only if they accept the power coming in as clean enough.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The power coming from the 'cheap' generators isn't a perfect sine curve or something like that.  That means it is dirty power and can easily handle anything non-electronic.  If you use a UPS between the generator and your computer I'm guessing that could help.  It has to be a good UPS, not one of the cheap ones you get at staples...

This is probably discussed in the survival forum in the Generator FAQ.   Go check there too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top