Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2005 12:25:25 PM EDT
It is 4:21 here and I just left the office early to beat traffic.  Already there are lines at every gas station and their parking lots are full of waiting customers.  I am glad I filled up last night.  Prices have jumped around 25 cents and I anticipate 75 cent increase by the weekend, especially as the panic grows.

UPDATE - see lower post - $5 a gallon reported in Atlanta by the news with a 2 gallon maximum.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Same thing here in Warner Robins.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad my dad has a farm, that 2,500gls of fuel may have been a good investment.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Heard the same here locally an hour ago.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Same thing down here in Macon, GA.  Some stations already out of gas, everybody panicking so the other will be soon also.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't checked around here today, but I imagine it will be the same. Yesterday morning prices were at $2.69/gal in the morning. My wife and I both filled up. During the day it went up to $2.79/gal. This morning it was at $2.85/gal and I filled up two more 5gal gas cans just before prices were raised to $3.00/gal.

Supposedly, they can only raise prices once every 24 hours here in WI...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This might be the straw that broke the camels back.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
It's started here also. The local stop and rob has 6 pumps and there cars lined up to get gas.

ETA: The X just called me and said gas stations 45 miles south of B'ham are out of gas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
We had a huge line. I stepped out in camo's and a doo-rag with my AR15.
For a minute, I thought I was Jesus the way the sea of cars parted for me.

Ok ok, seriously? I personally havent seen shit here in KC about it. Hell, Sunday night before the storm hit I told my co-workers to be sure to fill up before they went home. One of them looked at me with the deer-in-the-headlights and asked "Why?"

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
There are already a few stations here in my town that are closed, and I have heard reports of some altercations over gas
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#10]
$3.20 @ 4:30 around me. Long lines. Chevron station has "NO GAS" sign up.

I bet we hit $5 by morning.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It will be interesting to see the resale of large trucks and SUVs in the coming months. It could be like the early 70s when dealerships couldn't give a hemi or a big block away...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ah, yes, 1973 and 1979 all over again.  

Stand by for "stagflation" and "Whip Inflation Now!" buttons....

And then we'll elect a Democrat president who will promise to solve all our problems and to never lie to us.

We never learn.

ETA: gas is now $2.97/gal in suburban MA. Bloody hell......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the main supply lines into ATL (a pipeline) is not delivering fuel because there is no electricity to the pumps and valves.

There are (at last count) 8 major offshore drilling platforms in the Gulf that are not producing. I heard this morning that they account for 1/3 of our daily consumption.

It is going to be interesting over the next few weeks.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, yes, 1973 and 1979 all over again.  

Stand by for "stagflation" and "Whip Inflation Now!" buttons....

And then we'll elect a Democrat president who will promise to solve all our problems and to never lie to us.

We never learn.

At least no one is talking about price controls yet. I expect after the holiday it'll be back down. The governor is temporarily waiving the fuel additive restrictions for GA, which means we can be stocked by any refinery in the US.

GA used to have an additive with superior pollution control to the current additive. The feds said we had to use theirs, even if it caused an increase in pollution. Go figger.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
3.49 for reg in Marietta at the Shell station just up the street from me.

At this rate I won't be driving my new Xterra and hell, won't even be driving my CRX.
Gonna have to take the sport bike everywhere until this shit comes down.

wolf
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Just spoke with my mother on the phone.  She said the local news or CNN (somebody) was showing pictures of a QuikTrip station nearby at FIVE DOLLARS A GALLON!  They were also limiting it two gallons per customer.

I am glad I read this last night at eleven.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just spoke with my mother on the phone.  She said the local news or CNN (somebody) was showing pictures of a QuikTrip station nearby at FIVE DOLLARS A GALLON!  They were also limiting it two gallons per customer.

I am glad I read this last night at eleven.

What part of ATL  is this at???
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The talking head on Fox just said that you guys in GA could competely run out of gas in the next few days.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Fox news just had a photo of a BP station with 5.57 a gallon.  The station next to the BP was changing theres from 3.xx to something else.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It will be interesting to see the resale of large trucks and SUVs in the coming months. It could be like the early 70s when dealerships couldn't give a hemi or a big block away...

God I hope so.  I want a relatively new Jeep Grand Cherokee in good condition.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Better make sure that you have one car that has a plate that ends in an odd number and another car that has a plate that ends in an even number....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank goodness the 'company' is buying me gas this week.  (FL)

I hope the oil gougers all go to hell, and get the no beer section!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Sheeple are so stupid.  Things will be back to normal by Fri. if not sooner.  Fools.  God help us when the Chicoms nuke LA or NY.  As this poor once free country goes down the tubes it becomes more and more unstable.

BTW - this was mostly a reaction to our commie newspaper scare tactic this morning with a little help from the left media. It all happened in a couple of hours.  I went on a trip 18 miles at 11:30A and the gas stations were empty....returned, same path 2:30 and there were lines everywhere.  Fools.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#26]
My local shell station was PACKED with cars, and there were TONS of cars waiting on the lanes too.

Premium $3.11 @ 4:30, Atlanta around I75 exit 252.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sheeple are so stupid.  Things will be back to normal by Fri. if not sooner.  Fools.  God help us when the Chicoms nuke LA or NY.  As this poor once free country goes down the tubes it becomes more and more unstable.

BTW - this was mostly a reaction to our commie newspaper scare tactic this morning with a little help from the left media. It all happened in a couple of hours.  I went on a trip 18 miles at 11:30A and the gas stations were empty....returned, same path 2:30 and there were lines everywhere.  Fools.

you might want to think about filling up your tanks, smart guy
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Glad I filled everything on Monday at $2.589
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Good freakin God it took me an hour and a half to get home because these hysterical MORONS are lining up 40 cars deep in the street to pay $4 a gallon for gas! All the way from Buckhead to downtown. Unfreakinbelievable!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Glad I filled everything on Monday at $2.589

Same here. $2.459 -- 34 gallons worth. For work and back it could last me a month.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't have to "smart guy".  The fools just got what they wanted.  Our rino governor just annouced price controls on all gas.  Now TSWHTF!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#32]
$3.39 here
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#33]
When?  I just heard him not 30 mins ago saying there wasn't anything he could unless
they decalered it a state emereagency.

wolf
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

this is truer than you think prolly. have a relative that is very liberal.. all the trimmings. works in atlanta. knows lots of CNN and other media types.. coming out of the cnn people and similar this morning they were all text messaging and emailing everyone about Atlanta being completely out of gas by the weekend. i happened to fill up this morning because i figure gas prices would go up. went back with a motorcycle this afternoon and it is a full blown panic. and stations are running out of gas. governor just declared a state of emergency and froze gas prices...

my prediction is gas to flow normally by the end of the week.. latest by monday....

but i know for a fact that a lot of the early panic came out of the yuppie puppies in the media complexes in downtown atlanta.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Even at 3:30 things were pretty normal; gas $2.69. 9/11 was like this too. Always keep at least 1/3 tank; more if that gets used up in a day.

My wife called me paranoid for having 25 stabilized gallons in nato gas cans in the shed. I'm strutting around the house now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Typical sheeple crowd behavior.  Now our tyrants will exploit the situation.  Maybe RFK Jr. will come down here and blame Atlanta for the global warming caused hurricane.  Hell, maybe we killed the dinosaurs and caused that ugly freak assed Grand Canyon....the shame!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Typical sheeple crowd behavior.  Now our tyrants will exploit the situation.  Maybe RFK Jr. will come down here and blame Atlanta for the global warming caused hurricane.  Hell, maybe we killed the dinosaurs and caused that ugly freak assed Grand Canyon....the shame!!!

you cannot kill dinosaurs... they are an endangered species and you can't hunt them or build your home where they live or lay eggs..
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Glad my dad has a farm, that 2,500gls of fuel may have been a good investment.

I wouldn't advertise that if I were you.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

but i know for a fact that a lot of the early panic came out of the yuppie puppies in the media complexes in downtown atlanta.....

Fucking Neal Boortz is the cocksucker we can blame for this. I heard him this afternoon talking about the stations shutting off their pumps, pipelines down, no refineries, etc. playing up the rumours. Fucking media whore.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#40]
$2.79 here

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#41]
all my sheeple friends in midtown were goin apeshit this afternoon

I filled up last night
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#42]
So you have to walk to the country club...big FN deal!!!  Electric carts, beer!  How can you beat that?
BTW - the so-called experts are now leaning toward a biomass theory rather than the dino deal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#43]
rjroberts, if they want the gas they can try, my Dad has a few surprises for thieves. Farmers get hit alot for fertilizer(Meth) and people trying to steal tools and equipment. We learned long ago, protect what you got.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#44]
We have price controls on gas in GA now!

Governor Declares State of Emergency
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
We had a huge line. I stepped out in camo's and a doo-rag with my AR15.
For a minute, I thought I was Jesus the way the sea of cars parted for me.

Seriously bad form.

Unless of course that gas station has a carwash.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Gas was 249 Monday here, 259 this morning and 269 this afternoon. I saw on another board the EPA has pulled the reformulated gas rules for now......no reformulated gas so stuff refined in one area can be trucked to another and sold there. I saw gas lines around here like you all are talking about back on 9-11 and 9-12. Rumors of gas in Texas being rationed to stations so some can be trucked east.

We bought 100 gallons of propane last week at $1.49 a gallon. Heating oil prices are expected to double in the coming weeks. There are also predictions of another rough winter across the US.

Ugly times ahead I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#47]
My commute home from Newnan was the same story.  Every gas station I passed either had a packed crowd waiting to fill up or signs saying they were out of gas.  Lowest price I saw was 2.79 at one station.  Average was about $3.05.  One station I saw at 3.25 this morning was actually down to 3.09.  That was weird.  Must have gotten some complaints at the head office.

Saw one station in Atlanta on the news with $5.88 for regular and over $6 for premium.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#48]
The governor earned some respect from me in the method he chose to declare the state of emergency.

Typically price controls lead to shortages, especially when retailers are stuck selling it a certain price and are still getting overcharged by their suppliers.

Clark Howard was just on the radio explaining that the gas price controls are not absolute - the stations can charge whatever they want so long as their profit margin is no higher than it was a week ago.

I blame the Atlanta Journal Constitution for this mess.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Weird.  The mass hysteria, mob type reaction didn't start until after 1 or 2P.  What happened?  
We are a cowardly and fragile nation.  Bush just might decide to go ahead and disarm us now.  For the public good.  Kim Jung and the terrorist couldn't pick a better time to strike than now.  We would just lay down and beg for mercy and protection.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Unfortunately, I was running on fumes this morning. I paid $4.39 for mid grade in Midtown (after waiting over an hour) and they had a twenty dollar limit. By the time I made it into the far side of Cobb County, I found another station that had it for $3.09 so I filled the rest of the way up.

This is insane.

The house I'm buying it totally electric. At first, that freaked me out. Now? I'm very glad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top