Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 8:15:54 AM EDT
Obviously a hurricane topic.

You would think the local law enforcement would welcome some organized
group of armed public going in to maintain order where the worst of the
worst is still going on.

And I would think there would be a lot of people willing to do it.

But I'm only hearing of police getting shot at, and little they can do about it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it would be hard, since most of NO is probably inaccessible right now.  

Plus, LEOs do not like (from my experience) armed citizens threating their domain.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Strikes me the militias could be deputized by the local sherriffs to do stuff like cover the NO Childrens Hospital currently under seige by looters.

PC will be the death of this country.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#3]
It's already happening in some areas.  People are taking it on themselves to patrol while armed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think it would be hard, since most of NO is probably inaccessible right now.  

Plus, LEOs do not like (from my experience) armed citizens threating their domain.

Maybe, but what are they going to do about it?
They can't hardly defend themselves from the bad guys.

I would imagine the general population would be greatful if someone was defending them,
regardless of who it was.  It would make gun ownership look a whole lot more appealing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Gov. of Florida can call up citizens militia at any time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The key word is ORGANIZED.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Great, then they'd have to worry about rescuing the 300 pound fat guy with the BDUs and sks.  Nah, the states have their own organized militias for such events.  They don't need the added burden of having to rescue simpletons.  The goal now is to get everyone out.  Once they do that, they can hope to plug the leaks and drain the streets.  Protection of private property is simply not a valid concern at this point.

There is more than just NOLA you know.  Apparently the 'states' can't get the protection of life and limb thing done right away.  That's a simple fact.  Do for yourself and others or do without.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#10]
At the moment, it's the "milita" that's trapped on rooftops and doing the looting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Protection of private property is simply not a valid concern at this point.

It rarely ever is.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#12]
If the militias want to do something, they should load up some supplies and go down and start helping people clean up.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love "gun people" and certainly support this idea in theory, but go to a sight-in day just before deer season at any public range and you will reconsider.  As I said, in theory it's a great idea.  

Damn, you are right.

But lets assume there was a pre-existing militia full of what
my mom might call "gun nuts", who are somewhat diciplined and know how to
be responsible.  I seem to remember a militia like this being in the spotlight
a few years ago in Michigan or something.  They were considered a threat to
the government.  I'm just saying that they could dispell the idea of them
being a threat if they took advantage of an opportunity.

Or maybe they really were a threat.  I don't remember.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If the militias want to do something, they should load up some supplies and go down and start helping people clean up.

Exactly.  Go help out, and shoot a bad guy along the way.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#15]
They should make a formal request from ARFCOM and deputize the members to go handle this tragedy. We could do it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately because of the attitudes and idiocy displayed from some of our fellow gun owners, that will never happen. Yeah they take up a small percent but the media makes them seem to be the majority.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Here in Ohio, we have an honest to God state sponsored organized militia. Does LA have anything similar?

ohmr.ohio.gov/
"The Ohio Military Reserve serves under the Governor as Commander in Chief through the office of the Adjutant General.  Our primary mission is to provide a cadre level of trained units and equipment capable of expanding in times of necessity to protect life and property, and preserving peace, order, and public safety.   In order to accomplish this role OHMR units are trained as Military Police and Medical Support. "
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Like the militia is gonna help the situation. If the national guard is having trouble getting around, just what can the militia bring to the table. Sometimes I think some of you guys sit around in your ninja gear, smoking crack, stroking the side of your m4rgery, dreaming up crap while your banging on the keyboard.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Someone post that pic of the 2 real fat guys and the 2 real skinny guys in cammies and shooting handguns. That will explain why they wont want the militia.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 I have no respect for the 300lb guy with the SKS demanding to be called Col. by idiots who would go along with it.

They think they are in the militia but it clrearly ststes "able bodied"
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Like the militia is gonna help the situation. If the national guard is having trouble getting around, just what can the militia bring to the table. Sometimes I think some of you guys sit around in your ninja gear, smoking crack, stroking the side of your m4rgery, dreaming up crap while your banging on the keyboard.

Fuck you.

I would imagine a significant number of people reading this board are better equipped
than the national guard, as far as watercraft, off-road vehicles, and weapons.

A bass boat loaded with some well-meaning red-necks is better than what they have now.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I have no respect for the 300lb guy with the SKS demanding to be called Col. by idiots who would go along with it.

They think they are in the militia but it clrearly ststes "able bodied"

Hey, a fat man can still drive a boat.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you.

I would imagine a significant number of people reading this board are better equipped
than the national guard, as far as watercraft, off-road vehicles, and weapons.

A bass boat loaded with some well-meaning red-necks is better than what they have now.

Ok dumbass, if your so much better equipped than the national guard then go save NO. So how many helicoptors do you have dumbass, how many 2.5 ton trucks do you have dumbass, how many full auto weapons do you have dumbass. Have you ever seen the boating capabilities of an engineering battalion dumbass. Can you fly in 500,000 gallons of water than transport it to where it is needed. Step away from the crack pipe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#29]
If you bought a membership you could argue with each other in more forums!

G
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Personal attacks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top