Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 6:53:22 AM EDT
So I saw this video clip last night of the looting. Saw a guy taking a TV out of a store..... one question.

Your city is filling up like a bath tub.

Your house is under 20 feet of water.

There is no electricity.

There is no food.

There is no water.

The National guard is trying to evacuate the city.

The city is being abandoned.

WTF DO YOU NEED WITH A TV?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree completely. Unless it was, like, a Sony 50" Plasma...  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Need it to hold up the other end of the coffee table.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Ever seen McGuyver?  There is enought stuff in a TV to bail ones ass out of 4 or 5 harrowing situations.

edit, and your scenario is quite harrowing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't really have a problem with people taking perishables, medical supplies, and potable liquids.  But the people looting diamond rings and dvd players need to be shot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't really have a problem with people taking perishables, medical supplies, and potable liquids.  But the people looting diamond rings and dvd players need to be shot.

yo! word!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, thats the whole point, isn't it...

Look, I can see people nabbing medicine, food, water/drinks, even dry clothes in some instances, especially considering there aren't any businesses open to get this stuff. Its not palatable, but it is understandable.

However, video of people with shopping carts full of electronics, jewelry, toys, and everything else afre obviously free loading scum taking advantage of the situation. The NG needs to be in there dealing with them. A few looters riddled with 5.56mm holes strewn about the entrance to a store will probably successfully discourage that behavior....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw that footage also. Men were grabbing sneakers and televisions.
Women were grabbing diapers and batteries. Go figure!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#8]
A little bit of stealing goes a long way....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Getting water or food is one thing.  It's going to be destroyed by the water and people need it.   Maybe clothing too, but electronics is just nuts.  Why?  Where are you going to plug it in genius?

Really all a person NEEDS is enough to make it to a shelter if there is nothing else you can do to get out.  You don't NEED to steal there will be supplies and food and water at relief areas and you just need to go there.  Running around in sewage and filth filled streets to grab spoiling food or electronics is just stupid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#10]
If I:

- chose to live in an area which is extremely vulnerable to this kind of disaster,

- chose to disregard multiple orders to get the heck out of town,

- chose to do absolutely NO disaster preparation/stocking up,

...and I found a source of food and water, I would take it out of necessity.  BUT I would also make a detailed accounting of what I took and reimburse the owner after the dust settled.  I would only take the stuff I needed and only in extreme circumstances, but I would make sure that at the end of the day all accounts were settled.  I would expect the shop owner to be understanding, but I would also recognize that he would be within his rights to press charges and I would own up to what I'd done.  After all, I would have gotten myself into that mess.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I saw that footage also. Men were grabbing sneakers and televisions.
Women were grabbing diapers and batteries. Go figure!

Shoulda stole more batteries a year or so ago.  Wouldnt need the diapers....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Water

Food

Tarps

This kind of thing I'm not crazy about being looted - it IS stealing after all - but people need to make do. Past the necessities though, you should expect to be shot at.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I think most people still in NOLA are turning a blind eye to looting of business, but hoping fully more citizens are protecting their homes...

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Easy to get rid of the bodies... just let the sharks eat 'em.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If I:

- chose to live in an area which is extremely vulnerable to this kind of disaster,

...and I found a source of food and water, I would take it out of necessity.  BUT I would also make a detailed accounting of what I took and reimburse the owner after the dust settled.  I would only take the stuff I needed and only in extreme circumstances, but I would make sure that at the end of the day all accounts were settled.  I would expect the shop owner to be understanding, but I would also recognize that he would be within his rights to press charges and I would own up to what I'd done.  After all, I would have gotten myself into that mess.

^^

There is no such thing as 'looting out of neccesity', at least there shouldn't be if you aren't a complete idiot, and if you are stupid enough to get yourself into a situation where it becomes neccesary, you damn sure better pay back whoever you looted from when the situation calms down.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I:

^^

There is no such thing as 'looting out of neccesity', at least there shouldn't be if you aren't a complete idiot, and if you are stupid enough to get yourself into a situation where it becomes neccesary, you damn sure better pay back whoever you looted from when the situation calms down.

This reminds me of the book "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley, Rawles.

The is an entry in the book when they come accross a pair of looters/canibalistic fucks and dispatch them. Instead of keeping their goods (With the exception of  the weapons), they stored them away in a locker and dontated them to a group that was helping wit hthe rebuild of he town. Several times it was brought up that things were taken without permission but a note was always left taht the debt would be repaid. Good book to read.
CH
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't really have a problem with people taking perishables, medical supplies, and potable liquids.  

Sounds good until the looters are taking more of these than one person needs in order to sell/trade for profit or illicit gain.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#18]
He had to loot that Rolex watch.  It be a necessity.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Watch Ebay for some deals on water-damaged plasma tv's...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Awwww, those looters are making black people look bad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#21]
There is no excuse for looting
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#22]
flotation device?  those tubes are hollow and filled with air.  that 's what I told the judge anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#23]
You know what the truly sad thing is. I'd be willing to bet that if a person that was really in need just ask a store owner for food or clothing the store owner would probably give it to them. But the sons of bitches don't even have the good manners to ask, they just break in and take and that's just plain wrong. Don't care what color you are, you just don't steal peoples stuff, don't care if you have been "oppressed", you DON'T STEAL PEOPLES STUFF.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
He gots to loot dat Rolex watch.  It be a necessity.....

fixed it for you...LMAO
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Tough day to be a mod.............IBTL.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#26]
EVACUATE for the necessity of survival
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
EVACUATE for the necessity of survival

Or stay behind and loot yourself a new big screen.... You can stand on it to stay dry!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#28]
People justify that the insurance companies are gonna pay for the stuff anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Haven't you been listening to DU? The looters can trade that TV for the items that they need. That's why they are doing it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Haven't you been listening to DU? The looters can trade that TV for the items that they need. That's why they are doing it.

***STANDING IN 6 FEET OF WATER*****

"d00d, I'll trade you that zodiac for this hear 62" wide screen".........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top