Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 12:47:53 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/31/iraq.main/

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- At least 186 people have been killed and 75 others injured in a stampede on a bridge near a Shiite mosque in northeastern Baghdad, police said.

According to witnesses, the panic started when someone screamed that a suicide bomber was in the crowd. Several people were seen throwing themselves off the bridge.

The stampede took place at about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday (3:30 a.m. EDT) near the Kadhimiya mosque.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
ok
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, thats horrible. ETA- Well, at least we now know the insurgents don't have any real support from the people.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I understand not wanting to get blown up.

Killing your self getting away doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The end result was worse than if there indeed was a suicide bomber.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Stupidity...the world's leading cause of death.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Damn, thats horrible. ETA- Well, at least we now know the insurgents don't have any real support from the people.

yeah, only 186
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Update: They are now reporting 420 dead.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#8]
ok
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What a great way to start the day...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Just waiting for all the give a shit posters...

Fucking horrible way to die. Iraqi or not they where still people.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just doesn't have the same impact with wall to wall Katerina.....I'd give a shit if 1 of our troops was in the mix
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]
WOW
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#14]

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- At least 635 people have been killed and 237 others injured in a stampede on a bridge near a Shiite mosque in northeastern Baghdad, police said.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005; Posted: 5:09 a.m. EDT (09:09 GMT)

Damned.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]
How many people were on this bridge in the first place!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just doesn't have the same impact with wall to wall Katerina.....I'd give a shit if 1 of our troops was in the mix

So you don't give a shit that 635 people just lost their life because they had feared that some sorry fuck was going to blow them up?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:25:00 AM EDT
[#17]

According to police, some people were crushed to death but most drowned.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:34:05 AM EDT
[#18]
WTF OVER
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I was wondering why none of the Hajis where working today because most of them live around there
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:32:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Now 647 dead. It just keeps climbing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Insane.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#23]
That suicide bomber (if he existed) completed his mission one way or another.  It's horrible to think that there are people out there that thrive on doing things like this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupidity...the world's leading cause of death.

DING!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#25]
NPR reported this morning that approximately 150 of the dead were poisoned. This particular religious holiday involves a pilgrimage, and it is traditional for townsfolk to provide tea, baked goods and candy to the pilgrims. Apparently, certain insurgent elements organized an effort to poison a number of the religious pilgrims. Nice, huh?

Further, NPR reported that most of the dead were women and children.

Religion of Peace, my eye! This is the manner in which they strike against their own people. Imagine the steep disregard in which they hold us, the infidels. Anyone with doubts as to the legitimacy of the war in Iraq to end the organized terror within and outside that country's borders need only look at this incident ot realize the absolute evil under which otherwise free people must suffer daily.

America IS fighting the good fight in Iraq. Those ~650 dead deserved every opportunity for freedom that we too often take for granted in our beloved country. That means you too, Ms. Sheehan.

Fuck!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1 I just read that most of the dead are women and children.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it you don't understand WHY the troops are in Iraq then?

ANdy

a big +1!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Lemmings...

I'm sorry, I understand the panic but the manner in which these people conduct their religious activities is simply begging for mass casualties.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#32]
British soccer came to Iraq?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Man, yelling fire in a crowded theater has more effect than a few pounds of TNT and some nails.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Lemmings...

I'm sorry, I understand the panic but the manner in which these people conduct their religious activities is simply begging for mass casualties.

Don't worry, even though these stone age bastards haven't changed since the dawn of time, and will never have it between the ears to do so now, GW will go in and civilize them so they can become a productive, first world partner. Just wait, should be any decade now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Are you serious?!  Dang!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOOL!!!!!!!!1111!!11!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOOL!!!!!!!!1111!!11!

Is that even funny?

Fucking idiots
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Any group of people that can stampede and trample that many of their own.. I almost consider it to be a natural regulation of the population numbers.

Since Iraqis now "stampede" is the appropriate term for a group of them now "herd"?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it you don't understand WHY the troops are in Iraq then?

ANdy

a big +1!

Let me explain, your gonna love it.........ready

Too many people.  That's it,     especially in third world areas.  Too many for Mother Earth to handle.

And If it is us or them, well...sucks to be them.

Therefore, due to the current world situation,  I don't care about them (hadjis)  only American troops.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Baghdad Stampede Kills 800 Shiite Pilgrims
Aug 31, 2005
By SAMEER N. YACOUB
Associated Press Writer
www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/31/D8CB3I203.html
BAGHDAD, Iraq
Panicked by rumors of a suicide bomber, thousands of Shiite pilgrims broke into a stampede on a bridge during a religious procession Wednesday, crushing one another or plunging 30 feet into the muddy Tigris river. About 800 died, mostly women and children, officials said.

Hundreds of lost sandals littered the two-lane bridge while children floundered in the waters below, trying to reach dry land. The tragedy was the single biggest loss of life known in Iraq since the March 2003 U.S.-led invasion.

"We heard that a suicide attacker was among the crowd," said Fadhel Ali, 28, barefoot and soaking wet on the riverbank. "Everybody was yelling, so I jumped from the bridge into the river, swam and reached the bank. I saw women, children and old men falling after me into the water."

The crowd was on edge because of the 110-degree heat, a mortar barrage near the Shiite shrine where they were headed and the ever-present fear of suicide bombers, etched into memories after repeated attacks against large religious gatherings. Seven people died in the mortar barrage three hours before the stampede, the U.S. military said.

Police later said they found no explosives at the bridge _ either on any individual or in any cars parked nearby. Instead, poor crowd control and the climate of fear in Iraq after years of bullets, bombings and bloodshed appeared largely to have caused the horrific carnage.

Marchers jammed up at a checkpoint at the western edge of the Imams bridge, which has been closed to civilians for months to prevent movement by extremists between the Shiite neighborhood of Kazimiyah and the Sunni district of Azamiyah across the river.

"This tragedy was the direct result of terrorism; hundreds of innocent people, mostly women and children, have died because of the fear and panic that terrorists are sowing in Iraq," NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said in a statement.

Defense Minister Saadoun al-Dulaimi, a Sunni, said three suicide bombers were stopped Wednesday some distance from the shrine, but "blew themselves up before reaching their destination."

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said in Washington that he was not aware of any evidence that the stampede on the bridge was caused by a suicide bombing.

Others blamed the government and the U.S.-trained security forces.

"Early security measures should have been taken to protect the lives of citizens and organize their processions," Iraqi Communist Party leader Hameed Majid Mousa told Al-Arabiya television. "We all know that there are terrorists who lie in wait for such events and prepare to ambush the people. ... Why are the processions not organized?"

Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, a Kurd, told state-run Iraqiya television that "the government should take measures for an honest investigation to determine how failures doubled the casualties."

The marchers were commemorating the death in the year 799 of Imam Moussa ibn Jaafar al-Kadhim, one of the 12 principle Shiite saints who is buried in a mosque in the northern Baghdad neighborhood of Kazimiyah.

Since the 2003 ouster of Saddam Hussein, a Sunni, the Shiite political parties have encouraged huge turnouts at religious festivals to display the majority sect's power in the new Iraq. Sunni religious extremists have often targeted the gatherings to foment sectarian war, but that has not stopped the Shiites.

The ceremonies have often been chaotic, with huge crowds overtaxing the ability of police and security services to protect them. Television reports said about 1 million pilgrims from Baghdad and outlying provinces had gathered near the shrine on Wednesday.

Reflecting the confusion, casualty figures from various government agencies also varied widely. The Health Ministry said 769 people were killed and 307 wounded, while the Interior Ministry put the figure at 844 dead and 458 injured. The country's biggest Shiite party gave figures of 759 dead and 300 wounded. Other reports estimated the death toll would climb above 1,000.

"Pushing started when a rumor was spread by a terrorist who claimed that there was a person with an explosive belt, which caused panic," Interior Minister Bayn Jabr said. "Some fell from the bridge, others fell on the barricades" and were trampled to death.

No official offered any evidence that Sunni insurgents were directly responsible for spreading the false rumor.

Scores of bodies covered with white sheets lay on the sidewalk outside one hospital under the broiling sun because the morgue was packed. Many of them were women in black gowns, as well as children and old men.

Sobbing relatives wandered among the dead, lifting the sheets to try to identify their kin. When they found them, they would shriek in grief, pound their chests or collapse to the ground, sobbing.

Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari, a Shiite, declared a three-day mourning period.

In other violence, a U.S. soldier was killed and three were wounded Wednesday when a bomb exploded in the city of Samarra, 60 miles north of Baghdad, the U.S. military said. The military also said another American soldier was killed Tuesday by a bomb in Iskandariyah, 30 miles south of Baghdad.

The several mortar and rockets fired at the Shiite neighborhood before the march struck about 600 yards from the Imam Kadhim shrine, the U.S. military said. U.S. Apache helicopters fired at the attackers.

In March 2004 suicide attackers struck worshippers at the Imam Kadhim shrine and a holy site in Karbala, killing at least 181 overall.

The head of the country's major Sunni clerical group, the Association of Muslim Scholars, told Al-Jazeera television that Wednesday's disaster was "another catastrophe and something else that could be added to the list of ongoing Iraqi tragedies."

"On this occasion we want to express our condolences to all the Iraqis and the parents of the martyrs, who fell today in Kazimiyah and all over Iraq," said the cleric, Haith al-Dhari.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#43]
CNN reporting 965 dead:
965 dead in Baghdad stampede
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#44]
647+?

How many people were on this bridge? Like... 10,000? more? Or did Michael Moore tuck and roll over all in his path or something?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top