Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 11:45:46 PM EDT
New Orleans, LA.....it happened.  Somehow, someway it could happen to any of us....tornado, flood, earthquake, meteor, smuggled nuke....anything.

THE SHIT CAN HIT THE FAN.....AND IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!!

Don't know about the rest of you....but I think I really need to be more prepared.

How about the rest of you????

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Relax, our worst fear is the A/C going out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
New Orleans, LA.....it happened.  Somehow, someway it could happen to any of us....tornado, flood, earthquake, meteor, smuggled nuke....anything.

Don't know about the rest of you....but I think I really need to be more prepared.

+3 bazillion
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Who here was caught unprepared by the big blackout a few years back? S certainly does H T F, no matter where you live. Power blackouts can occur anywhere, and if they last long enough, are certainly a bad situation to be in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah, can't think of too much that can happen out in AZ.  Well maybe the huge hurricane of illegals that has been flooding both of our states.  Maybe we should get FEMA up here too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, can't think of too much that can happen out in AZ.  Well maybe the huge hurricane of illegals that has been flooding both of our states.  Maybe we should get FEMA up here too.

This is true.  Not much I can say that hasn't already been said about the border issue.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is true.  Not much I can say that hasn't already been said about the border issue.

Guys, it may not seem like it but AZ can flood like a MOFO when she wants to.  One of these days the Goddess ( Arizunna ) might get angry and decide to give us a big, wet slap.....not mention that even though it has been over 100 years ( 1880 or 1888, I believe ) we can gt substantial earthqukes here.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#7]
All it is going to take is a blow to basic infrastructure and resources.

Take out any of the following:

Power
Trucks (shipping)
Water (in the city)

and you have some genuine SHTF.   Even without any kind of panic, I reckon the food store only has about a week worth of major food products (meat, canned goods, etc.).

Take out power, the ability to get supplies (commercial or otherwise), or taint the water and you have an absolute mess.  How many people, honestly, have a decent supply of food?  Only the blessed few of us are in an area to really bug out and work on those hunting/fishing skills.  The majority of people would be SOL for a time.

The stable situation (ahh, back in the mountains... hunting, fishing, waiting for civilization to get back on track) is only possible after the multiple-week period of major conflict (with the poor and the oppressed) and general self-destruction (Darwin will take care of many issues during this period.).

So don't act surprised that we may be watching a SHTF situation on the TV... be shocked if we dont see more in the future.

- BG

EDIT:  And the whole "in the mountains" situation is just a cliche I'm using.  I watched Red Dawn this week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Why yes, you should get prepared if you haven't already.

Try this place.  I hear they come up with some good info from time to time....

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=123

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well maybe the huge hurricane of illegals that has been flooding both of our states.  Maybe we should get FEMA up here too.

Mag Lite group buy?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

NOPE, I've got mine
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOPE, I've got minetinypic.com/bg6zrt.gif

But do you have a good set of blades, decent LBE, spare water and food???  Two turn tables and a microphone???? Cuz that's where it's at! How about a decent "Get the Hell Out of Dodge" vehicle???

ETA:  What I am saying is that,  in a time of chimpanzees are you going to end up being a monkey????   I probably would.  That's gonna change.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:29:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A pac-man with a M-60 would certainly be a fine asset in any SHTF scenario, but you also need water, food, et cetera...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But do you have a good set of blades, decent LBE, spare water and food???  Two turn tables and a microphone????No, nope and nada Cuz that's where it's at! How about a decent "Get the Hell Out of Dodge" vehicle??? I've got a '79 Dodge Magnum

ETA:  What I am saying is that,  in a time of chimpanzees are you going to end up being a monkey????   I probably would.  That's gonna change.

Not gonna stay to find out
<----See Avatar
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#14]
You guys need to visit the survival forum. You'll be squared away in less than a year for a lot less money than you think. Good group of guys an not a lot of tinfoil..

Dave
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hee hee.....me, too!!!  All the more reason to have some seriously handy shit around.

ETA: OOPS...I read that wrong!!  ( dyslexia ) Thought you were going to stay.

I probably will stick around...but I wanna be ready for whatever comes around the corner.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:42:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hee hee.....me, too!!!  All the more reason to have some seriously handy shit around.

Seems crazy to stay in Phoenix where thier is what? One weeks worth of food in the wharehouses?
As soon as that runs low, things will go TEOTWAWKI
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I probably will stick around...but I wanna be ready for whatever comes around the corner.

You're nuts!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You guys need to visit the survival forum. You'll be squared away in less than a year for a lot less money than you think. Good group of guys and not a lot of tinfoil..

Dave

there.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems crazy to stay in Phoenix where thier is what? One weeks worth of food in the wharehouses?
As soon as that runs low, things will go TEOTWAWKI

It's ok...I really need to lose the weight!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:53:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Somebody here said that FEMA can and will confiscate any supplies you have if it's found out you are stocked up.

The specific language was called "hoarding."

Not sure about the voracity of the comment, but it is unsettling, nonetheless.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:54:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's ok...I really need to lose the weight!  

You'll lose a lot of weight when somebody uses you as a substitute meat when the cats and dogs run out
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:59:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd just like to mention while we have everyone's attention, that we have an excellent Survival Forum on the site.

We always have great threads going on how to be better prepared to survive and evade serious occurances like the recent hurricane in the Gulf region.

Feel free to drop in, the tin foil is optional.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'd just like to mention while we have everyone's attention, that we have an excellent Survival Forum on the site.

We always have great threads going on how to be better prepared to survive and evade serious occurances like the recent hurricane in the Gulf region.

It's about time I started dropping in there.  I used to be HUGELY into survivalism when I was a youngster...but after meeting so many militia retards, know it all's and Gunkid I shied away from the program for years......no more teetotalling around for me!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I understand there were laws against "hoarding" that predated FEMA.

I'm sorry, if things are soo bad in my hood that the cops are stealing TV's, the NG and FEMA can FOAD-I will NOT let them steal my food reserves.

"Grasshopper and the Ant" ring a bell officer?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:18:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, if things are soo bad in my hood that the cops are stealing TV's, the NG and FEMA can FOAD-I will NOT let them steal my food reserves.

I just saw on the Today Show some black female cops in full uniform stealing from stores. They had shopping carts full of merchandise and wouldn't let the cameras see their faces.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's about time I started dropping in there.  I used to be HUGELY into survivalism when I was a youngster...but after meeting so many militia retards, know it all's and Gunkid I shied away from the program for years......no more teetotalling around for me!!!

thats the one thing  our forum doesnt  put up with,, and why it does as well as it does.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:39:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody here said that FEMA can and will confiscate any supplies you have if it's found out you are stocked up.

Same as welfare.  You can't get assistance if you have a certain amount of money in the bank... it requires you to stay broke.  How are you supposed to get off of welfare if you are encouraged to throw away money?  The government WANTS you to rely on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same as welfare.  You can't get assistance if you have a certain amount of money in the bank... it requires you to stay broke.  How are you supposed to get off of welfare if you are encouraged to throw away money?  The government WANTS you to rely on it.

Off topic but:

Those on welfare hide how much money they make by working under the table or just work period, having absolutely no bank account (check cashing places, grocery stores cash checks), and no credit cards.  They are virtually financially invisible and therefore show "no income" so they still get their benefits.  Ever wonder why some in the ghetto pimp Cadillacs but live off of welfare?  They probably ain't livin off of just welfare!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#29]
i gots my 12 year old mres and wolf ammo-do i need more?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:38:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

yeah, then, whacha gonna doooooo?????

txl
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just saw on the Today Show some black female cops in full uniform stealing from stores. They had shopping carts full of merchandise and wouldn't let the cameras see their faces.

Ahhhh, affirmative action....in action.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks like the survival forum is going to get alot of visitors in the coming days.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Gettin me a Jeep. So transport is covered. Gots the grill, so a cooking place is covered. Feed lot is down the street, so I have a fair supply of cattle to choose from....

Wells all over the place, so water is doable. The no AC thing is gonna suck the big one, but hey, my car has AC....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm prepared better than most and worse than some.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#35]
And just not long ago there was a thread here in GD about the Whackjobs in the Survival forum.

How do you like us now???

We'll be nicer to the bandwagoneers than I'm sure they'd be to us if the tables were turned.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I think I saw what you're talking about, but are you sure you interpreted it correctly? The cameraman was right behind them and they didn't seem to care, I don't think they were just hiding their faces they were just facing away from the camera. They could have been just taking stuff for a shelter or something.

I might have seen a different segment than you though...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Always knew it could happen. Even assumed I would probably see it in my lifetime.

What is disturbing to me is the lack of response to criminal activity by civil authorities. I suppose they think they have bigger things to worry about, and I recognize they do have plenty to worry about. But, have seen no reports of anything being done to stop it and plenty of reports of authorities standing by and watching it. Hope they can keep it contained. My concern is the "mob mentality" will grow until it HAS to be stopped. I will be paying close attention to that aspect of this drama.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#38]
As I watch the footage of the people stranded on Hwy 10 near exit 235 I wonder why none of them took the time to fill some containers of water?  Not one surplus 5 gallon water jug, camelback, or refilled bleach bottle among them.  

Fvcking sheep.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You already have more than most of the refugees in NOLA. People too stupid to refill an empty bleach bottle with potable water.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I've decided to get my ass in gear and put together a decent BOB. Well, best I can on a college budget. MREs, water purification stuff, fire stuff, axe, first aid, flashlight, light sticks, etc. Cabelas has a good deal on what looks like a decent backpack (German milsurp). I don't have a lot of cash.

'cause of the budget I'm probably gonna stick with my Blackhawk vest, and a backpack over it. The vest is hot as hell, but carries 12 30 rounders fine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#41]
after watching this, even as a poor college kid im going to shell out the $ to put together a really good bug-out or bug-home pack. Once I get home ive got enough firepower and food/suplies for a couple of weeks/months.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You already have more than most of the refugees in NOLA. People too stupid to refill an empty bleach bottle with potable water.

At a minimum he needs portable shelter, a source of clean water and:

A Plan!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I will shoot ANYONE who tries to come and take my "survival cache" I took years to build.  

Hoarding my ass.  

I would also help someone who needs it if they ask properly, and it doesn't put me and mine in jeopardy.  

But try to come and take it?  I don't care what piece of tin you are wearing, you'll need more than kevlar and a sidearm to get it.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats the one thing  our forum doesnt  put up with,, and why it does as well as it does.

+1

Y'all come on in. The heat-tabs are just gettin warmed up!

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Every time something like this happens I cycle through my stored water and restock my canned goods collection.

I even went out and bought another portable water filter.  I've already got three of them AND 20 gallons of stored water.  It's like a sickness!  

Excuse me.  I need to go vacuum pack a couple dozen rolls of Toilet Paper.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Why worry about it?  

Anything you have stockpiled in preparation will simply be legally taken away from you to provide for the greater good of the less fortunate population.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top