Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 11:32:02 PM EDT
I've got a LCD monitor, approx. 1.5 years old.  Unplugged it yesterday evening for cleaning and UPS changeover.  Plugged it back in, started everything back up.

Once everything was going, there was a problem.  Actual display is skewed to the right and down.  17" monitor, there is about 2" of blank space on the left and 1" on the top.

Tried going through the on-screen controls of the monitor to move things over, I could only get about 0.5" of horizontal movement and 0.125" of vertical movement.  Tried using the auto setup feature of the monitor, only made it worse.

Plugged a different monitor into the machine, everything is fine with that one.  Plugged the malfunctioning monitor into another machine, same problem.  Checked the manufacturers website, no mention of this problem in the troubleshooting guide.

Is it shot?  I've already written up a requisition for a new LCD monitor, but I wonder if I can somehow get the other one fixed.  No warranty on it.  Probably cheaper to just buy a new one as LCD's are coming down every day.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you use the same or different cable when you swapped the monitors?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Used the same and different cables.  No change.  First thing I tried.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Used the same and different cables.  No change.  First thing I tried.

Eh. Dunno then. On the bright side, giganatonormous CRT monitors are pretty affordable these days, and are better than LCDs. (No, not as 'neato' looking, but...)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
CRT's are cheaper, but so damn prone to burn in, especially in our applications.  We usually get burn in (even with judicious screen saver use) on our monitors within 6 months.  Always on, etc.  The LCD had been going for 1.5 years, no burn in.

I just don't really understand what would have caused the problem.

I know one thing, I don't know how the hell I ever made it on a bubble screen monitor.  All the glare is killing me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#5]
usually they have a autoadjust in the controls somewhere.   check the manual.  if you can't get it to work call the manufactor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top