Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 8:04:12 PM EDT
To all board members,

Does your ex still maintain your last name. I got a paper from my lawyer requesting that I sign a form to consent to my ex going back to her maiden name. Is it smart to sign it and why do they even need my permission anyways. If she goes back to that name,can she some kind of way get out of bills that she has to pay under her married name. I just dont want to set myself up for some shit coming down the pike. ?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's weird.  I would sign it.  I would also recommend placing an add in your newspaper claiming you are no longer responsible for her debt.  

When I got divorced the state automatically granted me an annulment and gave me back my name.  There wasn't anything else to be done or said.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I maintained my last name after my divorce, only for the fact it had been my name for 16 years also. All my debt was mine and was stated that way in the divorce decree. When I remarried I still had a little debt left, which I still had to pay even though I wasn't using the same name. I was still the same person, just a different last name.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
She has the right to carry any name she wishes. This was explained to me by my lawyer when I got divorced in'95. I didn't want her to keep my last name (which she didn't) but was told she could carry any name she chose.

Bills really are not a problem as long as it is decided who is responsible for what during the divorce proceedings-----unless you're dealing with the IRS and those bastards want everybodys blood.

Good luck man!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
No kidding for 2.50 you can legally change your name!!!!   A guy named Joe Shit wanted to change his name!   The clerk said really I can see why you would want to change your name,and what would you like to change it to?

And he said thank you mame for being so gracious, and I'd like to change  it to    JOHN!!!!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top