Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 7:45:24 PM EDT
This study, entitled, "What if Hurricane Ivan Had Not Missed New Orleans?", describes almost perfectly the current flood situation in New Orleans.  It goes on to say:

"In this hypothetical storm scenario, it is estimated that it would take nine weeks to pump the water out of the city, and only then could assessments begin to determine what buildings were habitable or salvageable. Sewer, water, and the extensive forced drainage pumping systems would be damaged. National authorities would be scrambling to build tent cities to house the hundreds of thousands of refugees unable to return to their homes and without other relocation options."
--
I got this info from this thread on Slashdot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats nine weeks if all pumps work.
I bet more than half would burnout within first few weeks.
Those pumps are like 80 years old.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thats nine weeks if all pumps work.
I bet more than half would burnout within first few weeks.
Those pumps are like 80 years old.

I believe they have installed some new pumps in the last couple of years… that may help… if the pumps are servicable, pumping stations are not underwater, and if they can power the pumps.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=384452
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top