Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 7:39:35 PM EDT
Hello all, I live in upstate NY, and I just got back from filling (2) 5 gallon gas cans, and topping off my tank in my 03 Ranger, which I also did on Sunday night. When I topped off on Sunday, I paid $2.65 per gallon of 87 octane, two days later, prices have jumped between .20 and .35 depending on where you go. While watching CNN earlier today, it was mentioned that by the end of September, we could be looking at $4.00 per gallon for 87 octane. Thank God My wife and I only live 5 miles from work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
2.45 when I left for work this morning.  I saw between 2.55 - 2.60 this evening on my ride home.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
$2.69 for 87 octane here earlier this evening - western suburbs of St. Louis.  

Unfortunately, I live 20+ miles from work, and I have to drive to Nashville later this week.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Hah.  I beat ya.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
$2.35 this afternoon....down 10 cents from yesterday.

Who the hell knows what tomorrow's gonna be....

HH
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
$2.69/gal for regular 87 in the middle of NY.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
$2.39 right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
passed a mobil(my regular) station that was at 3.19 for super but hit a BP and got it for 2.89 for super...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Paid $2.59, but everwhere else in town was $2.69-$2.71 for 87

Car is running great got 39mpg on last tank, not bad for a car with 151k on it. Hopfully it won't drop back down to the normal 30mpg. Changing driving habits helps alot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
$2.45 yesterday when I filled up. $2.69 on the way home this afternoon!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
2.61, they were changing the signs to 2.75 tho as I was pumping.

Upstate NY
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
$2.69 regular at the racetrac close to work, in Plano, to fill the car.
$2.79 regular at the Exxon close to the house. almost $15 to fill the 5 gal. lawnmower gas can

Good thing my car gets 35 mpg.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
$2.63 for 87 octane but the other stations  in the area were already jacking up thier prices as much as .26cents more to $2.89---- Laporte county IN.-- Northwest IN.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
It's currently $2.97(super), but it will be $3.07 tommorow morning at our shop/gas station in New Rochlle, NY.
I paid $3.09 out in Long Island, NY, this past Saturday.

Our pumps right now can't handle a price increase to $3 or above. We have to wait until the techs install a new part in all of them before they can be changed. But if it drops below $3, they have to come back and reinstall the old parts..What a clusterf*ck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
$2.69/gal for regular 87 in the middle of NY.

Not anymore, almost all the gas stations around me are getting around $2.78 - $2.95 a gallon, for 87 octane. I live in the Glens Falls, Lake George region.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
$2.89 - 87
$2.99 - 89
$3.10 - 91

Weak.  I get 20-25mpg in town.  But its still a bitch to pay $50 to fill up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Yesterday $2.79 for 89 Octane (midgrade)
Today $2.85
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
$2.99 for 87 at the stations that aren't OUT of gas already!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#18]
$2.99 for 87 octane. Glad I have two vehicles that pull 30+ MPG.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Filled up yesterday for $2.599, but managed to find a cheap place tonight and filled up 4 5-gallon tanks for $2.539 this evening. However places around me are averaging around $2.709 tonight. Luckily my commute to work is only 3 miles each way, but I'm going to take a trip to go fill up some propane tanks tomorrow...

Don't forget to check your tire pressure!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Local stations just went up to over $3/gal for regular.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#21]
$2.65
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#22]
This is all artificially created. There is no current shortage, this crisis is alll anticipated heebie jeebies by the oil and gas traders, who scream and fart if someone says "BOO!".

Then they say it is increased consumtpion by china, and next that it is our limited capacity from aging refineries. Yet one does not affect the other. China is buying crude, not refine fuel from us, Opec says there is no shortage of crude. It just doesn't smeel right.

Not to mention gouging by oil corporations. taxes stay fairly constant. Supply and demand, ok, but this is inflated just like the fake california energy crises.

Regular gasoline was $1.77 this time last year. Now is pushing $3.00, you tell me this is normal market forces at work, I'm not buying it. The Hurricane is just another excuse, proof of that is gas was pushing $2.84 here the week before Katrina hit.

But what makes me chuckle to myself is that these thieves who are profitting on Mr and Mrs middle class America are cutting their own throats. They are pushing the price to the point where action will be taken. Many people will finally begin to trade in their 11mpg Excursions and Tahoes when they realize that A) they really never needed such a gashog, it was just a soccer-mom trend and B) they can get by with a 55mpg Toyota Prius, after they wait in line for a year. (of course those who really have a need for the gashogs will still drive them, to their wallets suffering).

The end result will be that fuel consumption will diminish, as it did in Europe when gas hit the equivalent of $5/gallon. People and industry downsized their consumption, and adapted. Gas miser cars and trucks became the norm, hyperefficient diesel engines are now in 50% of passenger cars.

In the end, the fossil fuel profitteers will ensure the transition the next fuel phase by their own greed, although it may take 10-20 years more, whatever that fuel may be. Hybrids may become the standard in the meantime, or not.

I just hope our dependence on fossil fuels ends sometime in my lifespan so I can finally see us move out of this dark age of dependence on fossil fuels.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Its 2.65 for 87.  I paid 2.39 in Salem Saturday though.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This is all artificially created. There is no current shortage, this crisis is alll anticipated heebie jeebies by the oil and gas traders, who scream and fart if someone says "BOO!".

Not to mention gouging by oil corporations. taxes stay fairly constant. Supply and demand, ok, but this is inflated just like the fake california energy crises.

Regular gasoline was $1.77 this time last year. Now is pushing $3.00, you tell me this is normal market forces at work, I'm not buying it. The Hurricane is just another excuse, proof of that is gas was pushing $2.84 here the week before Katrina hit.

But what makes me chuckle to myself is that these thieves who are profitting on Mr and Mrs middle class America are cutting their own throats. They are pushing the price to the point where action will be taken. Many people will finally begin to trade in their 11mpg Excursions and Tahoes when they realize that A) they really never needed such a gashog, it was just a soccer-mom trend and B) they can get by with a 55mpg Toyota Prius, after they wait in line for a year. (of course those who really have to have the gashogs will still drive them, to their wallets suffering).

The end result will be that fuel consumption will diminish, as it did in Europe when gas hit the equivalent of $5/gallon. People downsized, and adapted.

In the end, the fossil fuel profitteers will ensure the transition the next fuel phase by their own greed, although it may take 10-20 years more, whatever that fuel may be. Hybrids may become the standard in the meantime, or not.

I just hope our dependence on fossil fuels ends sometime in my lifespan so I can finally see us move out of this dark age of dependence on fossil fuels.

Actually on the news tonight, many of the local gas stations were running out of gas due to the hurricane knocking out the power in LA. There's no way to transfer the gas out of there now and the power is estimated to be off until Saturday at the earliest. So there will be no gas around here for a while once it runs out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#26]
$2.52 yesterday evening. This morning at one station it was $2.67. Another station $2.79 and same at another station.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But what makes me chuckle to myself is that these thieves who are profitting on Mr and Mrs middle class America are cutting their own throats. They are pushing the price to the point where action will be taken. Many people will finally begin to trade in their 11mpg Excursions and Tahoes when they realize that A) they really never needed such a gashog, it was just a soccer-mom trend and B) they can get by with a 55mpg Toyota Prius, after they wait in line for a year. (of course those who really have to have the gashogs will still drive them, to their wallets suffering).

The end result will be that fuel consumption will diminish, as it did in Europe when gas hit the equivalent of $5/gallon. People downsized, and adapted.

Actually on the news tonight, many of the local gas stations were running out of gas due to the hurricane knocking out the power in LA. There's no way to transfer the gas out of there now and the power is estimated to be off until Saturday at the earliest. So there will be no gas around here for a while once it runs out.

Sure, but that's a question of logistics.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Your right, but that'll just be another factor in the price increase.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right, but that'll just be another factor in the price increase.

True.
I'll admit my take on it could be full of holes, but from $1.77 to $3.00 in one year? Seems like something else is up here. And it smells rotten to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top