Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:43:13 PM EDT
GAS SCARE HITS ATLANTA
Tue Aug 2005 30 22:23:23 ET

Metro Atlanta drivers are facing the possibility of paying considerably more than $3 a gallon for gas by Labor Day -- if they can get it at all, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting Wednesday.

The two pipelines that bring gasoline and jet fuel to the region are down -- powerless to pump as Hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc on electrical infrastructure.

The metro Atlanta region generally has about a 10-day supply of gasoline in inventory, said BP spokesman Michael Kumpf. The pipelines have been down for two days.

Alpharetta, Ga.-based Colonial Pipeline Co., cut off from its suppliers on the Gulf Coast, is now pumping gas from huge storage tanks, many in Powder Springs, Ga. Whether electric power can be restored to the pipeline pumps before supplies run out is "the great uncertainty ... that hangs over all of us," said Daniel Moenter, a spokesman for Marathon Ashland Petroleum, a major supplier of metro Atlanta's fuel.

Developing...

From drudge.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
"Oil Storm!"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm oh so glad that I drive an econo box at this point...

Here come the gas lines folks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#3]
All 4 vehicles full, [always] check, 200 gal in BBLs, check, 40 Gal in cans check, 100 MPG scooter for short runs, check, Locking gascaps-PRICELESS!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Locking gascaps-PRICELESS!!!!

They just drill a hole in the tank...

This has happened to about twenty cars in this town in the past month.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Time to buy some gas cans and fill em up I suppose...........
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You loot, I shoot, Yeah if someone really wants gas they will get it, however it's easier to get it from someone else. Always stick a dummy round inside the door, fishline it to the plastic cap holder, if you open the gas cap door it falls out. My grandpa always did that in the 70s scare, I do not recall anyone ever stealing his gas. I doubt he would have shot anyone but I guarantee he would have taken a 2x4 to someones head.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Two gas stations near me ran dry and closed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I just sugared my gas tank.

That'll teach those scoundrels!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just sugared my gas tank.

That'll teach those scoundrels!

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Not good folks...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 6 cylinder Impala, but am thinking of getting a 4 banger econo box myself to help save on gas..........
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought 3 6 gal cans and filled them today.  I gots a bad feeling going here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I posted this in the GA Hometown forum. My father-in-law has a small country store. He called today to order some gas. His distributor told him that wholesale price went up 11 cents last night and will probably go up another 20-25 cents tomorrow or Wednesday and another 35 cents Friday. The wholesaler said that he couldn't guarantee any gas next week because he couldn't get it.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks it's happening, alright.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]

We now have gas stations here in Central Florida that are out of gas.  No gas and no idea when more gas is coming.  At the other stations that did have gas, the lines were half a mile long.  "Soccer Moms" were cutting in line left and right...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Here it comes.........................
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a 6 cylinder Impala, but am thinking of getting a 4 banger econo box myself to help save on gas..........

I also have an Impala and find its pretty decent on gas.

Since I work in construction a lot of the folks I work with have big trucks.  They talk about getting maybe 9 mpg driving around.  I cringe when I hear that.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"Soccer Moms" were cutting in line left and right...
Bigfeet

Just wait until one gets a fist in her mouth.

Some women think they can play the man's game with impunity simply because they are female.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh my God. F/X was right!  Now its time for Russia to bail us out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Whats up with the southeasts fuel supply?

Are they totally dependant on Louisiana refineries?

Gas has gone up 20 cents here but there are no shortages and none predicted.

Our pipleines go to Texas and Los Angeles- though where the gas that goes into those pipleines at those ends comes from is anyones guess.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#21]

FUCK!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Our pipleines go to Texas and Los Angeles- though where the gas that goes into those pipleines at those ends comes from is anyones guess.

I heard on the radio this morning that the pipeline that supplies VA with gas from Houston was shut off and there were limits placed on how much could be sold/distributed to each company.  There may have been a similiar issue relating to that area.

Colonial Pipeline
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard on the radio this morning that the pipeline that supplies VA with gas from Houston was shut off and there were limits placed on how much could be sold/distributed to each company.  There may have been a similiar issue relating to that area.

Colonial Pipeline

Both of the piplines are due to be operational by morning and up to at least %60 capacity by the weekend. Just unfounded  panic. It will settle down by the first of the week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
gas rationing seems possible. I have no problem with it since we did it in WWII
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#25]
We need to pass legislation to begin construction on new refineries AND drill ANWR!!!! do it now!! Screw the eco-nazis and their agenda..we need refineries and oil from the north!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
gas rationing seems possible. I have no problem with it since we did it in WWII

I was only allowed 10 gallons today @ $3.35 a gallon, glad it almost filled my Honda up
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#27]
We see here a harbinger of things to come if we ever do enter a protracted period of shortages -- of fuel, food, or water.

Panic spreads, many will attempt to hoard, and violence occurs.  Minor so far; however, extrapolation is left as an exercise to the reader.

The observant man would do well to learn from this little episode.

Be prepared.  It's not just a Scout motto, it's also a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050901/capt.gagb10409010035.katrina_oil_gagb104.jpg

FUCK!

Uh, gouging.  Plain and simple.  WTF?

Agreed.  It's sons of bitches like that POS that make you want to do something crazy.  I can understand a market driven spike in wholesale gas prices but that is just sickening.  

SBG
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I saw gas on the news tonight for 6.09/gal!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out some of the local prices

www.atlantagasprices.com

Keith
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I saw gas on the news tonight for 6.09/gal!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out some of the local prices

www.atlantagasprices.com

Keith

Fox News reporting same. Over $6/gallon in parts of Georgia...

I'm riding my bicycle to work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#32]
So is the shit hitting the fan yet?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:44:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I gassed up my truck on my way home from work yesterday at about 3:00 pm.

Price was $2.59. No lines, everything normal.

I had to run to Kroger (they have thier own gas station) at about 4:00 pm. Lines at the pump were stretched across the store parking lot. Price had jumped to $3.05! I went in the store to pick up something for dinner and the chatter was that the gas stations in the city of Atlanta were closing at 4:00 pm, and rationing would begin.

WTF?

My wife gets home from picking up the kids, says the same thing is going around at the school.

Good god. It sure doesn't take much to start a panic....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#34]
So how does the Northeast get their fuel?  I don't know of any gas line. . .
Can't they get it the same way we do, by truck?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:19:53 AM EDT
[#35]
At least I have my weapons, ammo, generator, & storage food.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
We see here a harbinger of things to come if we ever do enter a protracted period of shortages -- of fuel, food, or water.

Panic spreads, many will attempt to hoard, and violence occurs.  Minor so far; however, extrapolation is left as an exercise to the reader.

So...after you typed that, did you sprout wings and fangs and fly off into the night cackling?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So...after you typed that, did you sprout wings and fangs and fly off into the night cackling?

Of course not.

I fly silently.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Its hitting Augusta here too Im 120 miles away.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course not.

I fly silently.

LMAO

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMFAO!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top