Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:41:06 PM EDT
[venting]I'm in Wisconsin right now on business (I live in Ohio).  I finally get out of the plant, starving as all hell, so I'm in kind of a hurry.  I get pulled over for going 40 in a 25.  I get hit with $160 ticket and 4 points!  That's $90 and 2 points short of getting a DUI in Ohio.  

WTF?  Since when is speeding THAT bad?  I'm sorry, I just think that the punishment does not fit the crime.

And now I have to go back into the plant (after being out for 5 hours) to help the night shift.......better not forget my headlights, they'll throw me in jail.....

[/venting]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
bet ya won't do that again
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure I'm not coming to Wisconsin again....not until I've made my million so my limo driver can deal with it....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
What the hell did you do, offer him a Cheese Donut or something???
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Valentine 1

It has never let me down.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The only legal hassle that arises out of speeding IS NOT GOING FAST ENOUGH!

Gotta be able to outrun The Man.

(please note sarcasm)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
15 over is pretty serious in these parts, if you would have talked nice to him he may have dropped it down to 14 and it would have been a different ballgame

go in front of the judge and they ask if you were in fact speeding and if you say "well maybe just a mile or two over" and BAM, Guilty, you were speeding none the less, no such thing as just speeding a little
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in a rental car, didn't bring radar detector with me....

$160 bucks and 4 points.....how do you people sleep at night?  And then he said I'm lucky, because he wasn't demanding payment on the spot b/c he would "have to" arrest me if I didn't have the money on me.... give me a break.  

What next?  "Bend over and grab your ankles son, this will only take a minute..."

ETA:  At least he was nice enough to take it from 18 over down to 15 over.  Otherwise it would have been about the equivalent to a DUI....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow.

You must have caught him on a good day.

I did 13 over and it was $238 plus court costs and 6 points.  

The other time I got pulled over was for 11 over and that was $190 and 4 points.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The correct answer to "Do you know how fast you were going" is "Why no, Officer, the LSD that I took seems to be obscuring the numbers on the speedometer. Perhaps you could tell me how fast I was travelling."

An acceptable alternate is "I apologize Officer, but I am afraid that I speak absolutely no english."
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I gotta tell ya, you being from Ohio I'm surprised that you're complaining, I used to drive Semi (car carrier) and going across the Ohio Turnpike was sheer madness, if you go so much as 60 in a 55 the troopers will yank you over and give you a ticket as well as an unrelentless vehicle inspection
Damn Nazi's

he dropped it from 18 to 15 but the scale goes from the speed limit to 14 over then at 15 the games begin, so he really didn't do you any favors, I'm sure he just did it so he could let you off without having to post bond,
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]
You may be ok on points. the last I remember is wisconsin is not an interstate compact state. THis means, any points wisconsin would put against you license would not be honored by another state. slow down next time ok
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Valentine 1

It has never let me down.

+1

The day that (on or off duty) LEO (or politicans/judiciary) are held to the same speed limits as Joe Schmuck, then the limits will have any legitimacy. Until then, it is nothing more than another revenue stream.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang I got pulled over by a Ga state trooper going 15 over and my ticket was only like 100 bucks and no points.....sucks for you !!! then i got pulled over by East point police going 90 in a 55 on i-285 but he saw my badge and gave me a warning....and before the bashing having a badge is no excuse for speeding and I deserved to get one that day
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
[venting]I'm in Wisconsin right now on business (I live in Ohio).  I finally get out of the plant, starving as all hell, so I'm in kind of a hurry.  I get pulled over for going 40 in a 25.  I get hit with $160 ticket and 4 points!  That's $90 and 2 points short of getting a DUI in Ohio.  

WTF?  Since when is speeding THAT bad?  I'm sorry, I just think that the punishment does not fit the crime.

And now I have to go back into the plant (after being out for 5 hours) to help the night shift.......better not forget my headlights, they'll throw me in jail.....

[/venting]

25mph?  School Zone?

I only ask because I know that they have begun cracking down a lot more on School Zone speeders here locally.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#15]
You could try my favorite line:  "Officer, if you ran my license, you know I ALREADY GAVE!"  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

$160 bucks and 4 points.....how do you people sleep at night?  And then he said I'm lucky, because he wasn't demanding payment on the spot b/c he would "have to" arrest me if I didn't have the money on me.... give me a break.  

That's when you whip out the old AAA card and say "here ya go, have a nice day."

AAA will guarantee the payment and bill you later  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Just offer to blow him next time.

It should work, most cops are fruity.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#18]
find a local lawyer.they probably can get it reduced.may coast a little more than the $160 but you will save that in insurance rates.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I gotta tell ya, you being from Ohio I'm surprised that you're complaining, I used to drive Semi (car carrier) and going across the Ohio Turnpike was sheer madness, if you go so much as 60 in a 55 the troopers will yank you over and give you a ticket as well as an unrelentless vehicle inspection
Damn Nazi's

he dropped it from 18 to 15 but the scale goes from the speed limit to 14 over then at 15 the games begin, so he really didn't do you any favors, I'm sure he just did it so he could let you off without having to post bond,

60 on the Ohio turnpike?!?!   Are you crazy?!?!  You are likely to get rear-ended by the old lady in the Caddy.  I've NEVER had any problems from speeding on highways in Ohio....well, reasonably speeding (<20).  On the turnpike I average about 80, unless there is a trooper in front of me in which case I can only drive the 75 that the trooper is going.

ETA: 45 in a 25 cost me 110 bucks and 2 points in the Buckeye state.  79 in a 55 cost me even less.  This was not in a school zone, hell it was like 5 o'clock.  I've followed policemen patrolling faster than 40 in a 25.....just seems hypocritical to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is payback for the hundreds of times you sped and did not get caught.  The officer saved children from dying that day. Just because you think you are some hot shot race car driver and do not need to obey the safety rules.

A)  I am a safe driver and NEVER speed when there are people around.
B)  I only speed when conditions warrant it and I have (in my opinion) a good reason to.
C)  I hardly think a rental Chevy Impala is a "hot shot race car."
D)  40 MPH is hardly an unsafe speed, the "safety rules" are a matter of opinion, and these "safety rules" are unequally enforced.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is payback for the hundreds of times you sped and did not get caught.  The officer saved children from dying that day. Just because you think you are some hot shot race car driver and do not need to obey the safety rules.

B)  I only speed when conditions warrant it and I have (in my opinion) a good reason to.
D)  40 MPH is hardly an unsafe speed, the "safety rules" are a matter of opinion, and these "safety rules" are unequally enforced.

I am Jack's inability to recognize sarcasm.

(yes, I am starting "this shit" up again...)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:53:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ok, I got ya, you like to speed and got caught, you seem to think the rules dont apply to you

Safety rules, a matter of opinion?

and you say you "NEVER speed when there are people around",
what about all this  

60 on the Ohio turnpike?!?! Are you crazy?!?! You are likely to get rear-ended by the old lady in the Caddy. I've NEVER had any problems from speeding on highways in Ohio....well, reasonably speeding (<20). On the turnpike I average about 80, unless there is a trooper in front of me in which case I can only drive the 75 that the trooper is going.

ETA: 45 in a 25 cost me 110 bucks and 2 points in the Buckeye state. 79 in a 55 cost me even less. This was not in a school zone, hell it was like 5 o'clock. I've followed policemen patrolling faster than 40 in a 25.....just seems hypocritical to me.

stop crying

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Gotta give a big +1 to this statement.  Don't like the speed limit?  Work legally to get it changed.  Otherwise, if you break the law and get caught, don't bitch about it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:09:41 AM EDT
[#25]
oh by the way, you were going 43, not 40...not too safe in a 25 mph zone...you want people doing that speed in front of your house?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Parts of Mound Rd are 35 mph even though it is a 10 lane area by the time you get there. Some traffic laws were MEANT to raise revenue for the municipality.

With the high gas prices, expect lots of people to ride in crotch rockets. The police cars are 16 second 1/4 mile cars. If you're good in mild to intermediate traffic with a crotch rocket, you can get away.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Man that sucks.

I've gotten nailed twice, both 51 in a 30.  First time was $180 and no points, second was $100 and 2 points.

Go to court and ask for drivers ed, increased fine for no points, or if you lucky, no ticket if you go the next 6 months to a year without getting nabbed.  That just seem very excesive for 40 in a 25.  Though im have never been to your area so maybe its a normal ticket.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Revenue enhancment......
That's all it is
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I got pulled over in Laramie, Wyoming on my recent trip to Colorado.

I was doing 82 in a 65 and he wrote me a citation for a $82 fine, and no points.  

Like another poster said.  These are merly in the name of revenue building and job security.  

Be happy they didnt arrest you and slap you in some jail with a buch criminals
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#30]
If speed laws are not for you, then who are they for?  Everybody else?  Select few?  Special few?

1.  Pay fine

2.  Need some cheese with that w(h)ine?

3.  Stop speeding

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
With the high gas prices, expect lots of people to ride in crotch rockets. The police cars are 16 second 1/4 mile cars. If you're good in mild to intermediate traffic with a crotch rocket, you can get away.

no matter how fast you can go, you can't outrun a radio.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Break the law, pay the fine. What is that adage? Oh, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
So it can be summarized as you were going nearly twice the posted limmit, oh you poor thing.  Thos evil cops are so mean!

Appearently you are not a safe driver.  Pay your fine, and most importantly don't do it again (but you will anways because you type of sociopath that thinks that you can never do wrong).  

Waaaaaahh!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no matter how fast you can go, you can't outrun a radio.

Well, only an idiot would run in a straight line.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#35]
That sucks.  Couple that with the rising gas prices, that must really suck.

Max
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hineline was trolling you , don't respond and he might dry up and go away
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#37]
hhmmm What is this Point thing going on? What is it? Do they revoke your license after a certain amout of points?  

I've only gotton 1 speeding ticket but that was almost 3 years ago.  Have they changed things or is this just in certain states.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#38]
you were breaking the speed limit and got caught, my heart pumps piss for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'm in a rental car, didn't bring radar detector with me....

What next?  "Bend over and grab your ankles son, this will only take a minute..."

ETA:  At least he was nice enough to take it from 18 over down to 15 over.  Otherwise it would have been about the equivalent to a DUI....

Now read about the arfcommer's kid who was hit by a truck speeding in a 25mph school zone.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=384828

You should feel like a turd.......
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#40]
My record was a $421 fine.

92 in a 65.

In Oregon.

And no, I wasn't doing anything dangerous either. Clear, dry road, extremely light traffic moving at 85 or so on a well paved three or four lane Interstate. I was not changing lanes or anything. My tires are rated to 168 MPH, and had 2k miles on them--and are very sticky. My vehicle is in good repair. I was awake and alert. I paid my fine because I broke the law, but I insist that what I was doing was not significantly more dangerous than driving the speed limit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I got two tickets within a 12 hour period.  I was 19 yrs old.  I went to the class, paid the fine, and didn't whine about it. I was guilty.  

21 years later, no more tickets.  Sometimes you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your whole driving style.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Don't speed in New Orleans right now.  I've heard that's all the cops are doing down there is handing out speeding tickets and ticketing cars that have been parked for too long.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#43]
You knew the speed limit, you broke it. Be a man, pay the fine, don't do it again, lobby your legislature to change the speed limit or penalty.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Don't speed in New Orleans right now.  I've heard that's all the cops are doing down there is handing out speeding tickets and ticketing cars that have been parked for too long.

Well, some of them turned in their badges when the shit hit the fan.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, some of them turned in their badges when the shit hit the fan.

Yeah, well I've been in on that conversation on another thread.  I'm not going to tarnish this one with that discussion.  That said, it appears many of the NO PD, before departure, were only good for the serious police work, like the activities noted above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top