Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:59:46 PM EDT
So I am out mowing the lawn this evening and all of a sudden, I hear the distinctive sound of big radial engines…and low to the ground as well.  I look up and I see what I believe to be a B-24 Liberator.  Now being a bit of a historic airplane geek, I am somewhat skeptical of my own observation, because I know there is supposedly only one flying aircraft in the entire world, and what would it be doing flying over rural Pennsylvania?  Ten minutes later it makes a second pass, and this time I am sure.  I run into the house to tell the wife, and she is like “Yeah and…”.  I guess not everyone is a nerd like me.  The long story short is I ended up driving to the county airport, which is only a mile or so from my house just in time to see it and a B-17 land.  

Just a little history lesson for those who don’t know, 18,300 were produced during the second World War, making it the most produced aircraft of all time.  What makes tonight truly incredible is that only three B-24’s survive in museums, and the one that landed here tonight is the only flying B-24 left in the world.  

So here’s my dilemma.  This aircraft is part of the Confederate Air Force.  They will be here until 2:00 tomorrow afternoon.  Starting at 9:00 they will be giving tours for $8.00 a head (which I’m totally going to) and $400.00 for a short flight onboard the B-24.  The wife knowing what an airplane geek I am thinks I should spend the money for this once in a lifetime opportunity.  I’m kind of on the fence about spending that kind of money.  Opinions are welcome.  What do you think I should do?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just a little history lesson for those who don’t know, 18,300 were produced during the second World War, making it the most produced aircraft of all time.

There were somehting like 35,000 ME109's made in WWII, I think it was the most produced aircraft ever.

I say spend the money.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I flew on a B-17 ('Aluminum Overcast') just before 9/11. It cost something like $300.00 for a 45 minute flight, then we had hours on the ground to get up close and personal with the plane. Awesome experience. I'll have to post some pics of that...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So I am out mowing the lawn this evening and all of a sudden, I hear the distinctive sound of big radial engines…and low to the ground as well.  I look up and I see what I believe to be a B-24 Liberator.  Now being a bit of a historic airplane geek, I am somewhat skeptical of my own observation, because I know there is supposedly only one flying aircraft in the entire world, and what would it be doing flying over rural Pennsylvania?  Ten minutes later it makes a second pass, and this time I am sure.  I run into the house to tell the wife, and she is like “Yeah and…”.  I guess not everyone is a nerd like me.  The long story short is I ended up driving to the county airport, which is only a mile or so from my house just in time to see it and a B-17 land.  

Just a little history lesson for those who don’t know, 18,300 were produced during the second World War, making it the most produced aircraft of all time.  What makes tonight truly incredible is that only three B-24’s survive in museums, and the one that landed here tonight is the only flying B-24 left in the world.  

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41190

So here’s my dilemma.  This aircraft is part of the Confederate Air Force.  They will be here until 2:00 tomorrow afternoon.  Starting at 9:00 they will be giving tours for $8.00 a head (which I’m totally going to) and $400.00 for a short flight onboard the B-24.  The wife knowing what an airplane geek I am thinks I should spend the money for this once in a lifetime opportunity.  I’m kind of on the fence about spending that kind of money.  Opinions are welcome.  What do you think I should do?  

The opportunity may never come your way again. The Liberator could crash tomorrow and in that split second, it will be lost forever. I say take it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#4]
For the B-17 lovers...

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
$400 !!!     Wow.

... but, on the other hand,

B-24 Liberator !!!     Wow.

It's a tough call.  If it's the only one in the world, I'd be sorely tempted!  But $400 per head is a lot of cash for a ride.  How long a ride, and do you get to go everywhere during the ride?  If they let me sit in the co-pilot seat during the ride, and climb into the gunner's seats and stuff like that - I'd totally do it.  but if they just make you sit strapped in some seat with a crappy view, I would not do it.

I guess it depends just how much of a airplane fanatic you are - and how much $400 is to you.  If it's something you really love, you'll probably kick yourself later for NOT doing it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just a little history lesson for those who don’t know, 18,300 were produced during the second World War, making it the most produced aircraft of all time.

There were somehting like 35,000 ME109's made in WWII, I think it was the most produced aircraft ever.

I say spend the money.

My mistake...I meant to say the most produced U.S. aircraft of all time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
$400 !!!     Wow.

It's a tough call.  If it's the only one in the world, I'd be sorely tempted!  But $400 per head is a lot of cash for a ride.  How long a ride, and do you get to go everywhere during the ride?  If they let me sit in the co-pilot seat during the ride, and climb into the gunner's seats and stuff like that - I'd totally do it.  but if they just make you sit strapped in some seat with a crappy view, I would not do it.

I guess it depends just how much of a airplane fanatic you are - and how much $400 is to you.  If it's something you really love, you'll probably kick yourself later for NOT doing it.

Passengers are free to move about the aircraft once it is airborne...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in PA on breaks from grad school in VA.

If you do not go, next break I'm coming to your house with a stick.

It's $400 to ride in a damn B-24!  Get on the goddamn plane!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Did both a few years ago.......   Probably the coolest thing I'll ever do in my lifetime.

Well worth the geech,  considering I had it, back then...

And I don't think that's the only 24 still flying....  Unless it's the Collings Foundation's "Dragon and his tail"  with a new paint job.    I think the Confederate Airforce has a 24 flying as well still.

Not completely sure, but I think they still do....

Beautiful old birds, them.

ETA :  yep.... it's the Dragon.....  shame as the old paint job was incredibly cool.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I say spend the money.

My mistake...I meant to say the most produced U.S. aircraft of all time.

How many Liberator variants? Could possibly be most produced VARIANT.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Did both a few years ago.......   Probably the coolest thing I'll ever do in my lifetime.

And I don't think that's the only 24 still flying....  Unless it's the Collings Foundation's "Dragon and his tail"  with a new paint job.    I think the Confederate Airforce has a 24 flying as well still.

I'm quoting Stephen Ambrose's "The Wild Blue" from 2001 at that time only three remained in museums and one flying.  I have heard rumors that some entrepreneur on the west coast is attempting to restore a second B-24, but I have never heard of or seen it fly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Some picage in the "Dragon" scheme.....  

And their 17G, the "Nino O' Nine"   Another beautiful plane....  MUCH nicer ride too, btw.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So here’s my dilemma.  This aircraft is part of the Confederate Air Force.  

Not any more, not for several years. The group is now called the Commemorative Air Force. PC is everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm quoting Stephen Ambrose's "The Wild Blue" from 2001 at that time only three remained in museums and one flying.  I have heard rumors that some entrepreneur on the west coast is attempting to restore a second B-24, but I have never heard of or seen it fly.

You're correct....  My bad, I wasn't aware that Collings repainted the Dragon recently... Just checked the website and saw it there.  Fixed my first post  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Nine O' Nine is the B-17 sitting next to the B-24... also the picture above.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey M4-a3...they were just in NJ at the Mercer County airport...where are you in PA and does anyone know the shows schedule? I can't seem to find it on their website?

WBK
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw the same one a few days ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're correct....  My bad, I wasn't aware that Collings repainted the Dragon recently... Just checked the website and saw it there.  Fixed my first post  

No harm no foul... I'm just spouting someone elses statistics.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey M4-a3...they were just in NJ at the Mercer County airport...where are you in PA and does anyone know the shows schedule? I can't seem to find it on their website?

WBK

www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

Like Nike.......  Just DO it !
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

WBK

Not sure...I only know they're at the Chester County airport until 1400 tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are going to fly in one, do it now while fuel is still relatively cheap. These planes guzzle down avgas like it's going out of style, and each flight costs thousands of dollars. 400 clams will seem pretty cheap next year, if things keep up in the price rise dept. ....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#22]
They go back to PA in october, bottom of page, linky above...  VA and MD as well.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I took the $400 flight on the 'Aluminum Overcast" a few years ago. My wife Ginger, bought me the ride. It was awesome. If you have the $$$, do it. You may never get another chance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]
If you 'aint German you are OK. Don't worry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$400 !!!     Wow.

Passengers are free to move about the aircraft once it is airborne...

In that case, I'd do it.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#26]
The money you can always replaced, the memories of flying in one of these old warbirds will make the money irrelevant.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I say go for it.

You will kick yourself for not doing it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The money you can always replace, the memories of flying in one of these old warbirds will make the money irrelevant.

That's the damned truth, brother !     I will never regret slapping the loot down that day.

It was SOOOOOO COOL, and worth EVERY CENT !  

ETA:  Especially so, since I got to ride with real live WWII bomber crew vets on BOTH planes....  Those guys' smiles will be etched in my memory for the rest of my days.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I took a hop in Witchcraft this spring from Yakima Washington to Bremerton! It was amazing! We went over the mountains at 10,500 feet in zero visability (fog). It's pretty freaky sticking your head out of the side of a B-24 at that elevation when all you can see is the wing!

I have also had a couple of rides in Nine-O-Nine...

Click here for some pics of both my B-17 rides and the B-24.

www.scottbass.com/gallery.html

Cheers,
Chris

[edited to add pic]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#30]
The price sounds a little bit steep, but you will forever kick yourself in the ass for not taking the ONE chance that you have.  I think that if you can afford the price, you will look back and view it as money well spent.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#31]
definitely go.
I'm a cheapskate, and even I know it's a no brainer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#32]
At the Indianapolis Airshow last weekend, one could buy a ride in a B-17 or B-25, for about the same money. I didn't have that kind of $$ to burn, but if I did, I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#33]

A nice story about a great man, Carl Clark.  WWII B-17 Pathfinder Pilot, as well as part-timer flying the Nine O' Nine for Collings...  

The Unforgettable Takeoff -- Reunion !

I spoke to Mr. Clark for some time the day I rode on the two planes.  We chatted about the plane, and some of his experiences, as well as the amazing "Unforgettable Takeoff" story.  REALLY nice guy.....  I feel pretty fortunate to have, since he passed away less than a year later.....

Rest in peace, Sir...... And thank you.....   I'll never forget that day, or you !

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#34]

A couple more pics from my ride...

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]
There's like 2 or 3 flying B-24s left.  I've seen them at Oshkosh and other places.  Diamond lil' is one of them.  Strawberry bitch was the other (I think) if it's still around.

My grandfather was a bombardier in B-24s and B-17s in the Pacific.  They're kick ass bombers!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Apparently "Diamond 'Lil" is really a LB-30 / C-87 and not a true B-24 (personally I feel this is picking serious nits though), and Strawberry Bitch is on static display.

Therefore Witchcraft is the last flyable B-24 in many peoples eyes.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Spend the money. What's four hundred bucks compared to a chance of a lifetime??? Who knows if this wonderful plane will be around much longer???
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I did the ride in the B-24 back in 1999 ............It was well worth the $300.00
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#39]
My Grandfather made the wind tunnel models for  Consolidated for the tests at Caltech.  He was a pattern maker and his brother did a lot of design engineering for them.  Last I heard there are only 1 or 2 "real" B-24s flying and neither saw combat.  There are several of the Navy single tail variants around and many of them were still flying until just a few years ago as water bombers.

They didn't have quite the cachet the Fortresses had at the end of the war  and there was no real push to save them.

I heard the roar of radials the other day and a P2V-2 Ventura in what appeared to be Army Air Corps  late WWII scheme flew over.  That's the first of those I've ever seen (especially since IIRC only our Navy had them but the RAF and other AFs used them)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I did the ride in the B-24 back in 1999 ............It was well worth the $300.00

See? $300 in 1999. $400 today. $700 next year. Do it now, while it's still cheap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I say spend the money.

Off the top of my head 52,000 IL-2's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
A nice story about a great man, Carl Clark.  WWII B-17 Pathfinder Pilot, as well as part-timer flying the Nine O' Nine for Collings...  

The Unforgettable Takeoff -- Reunion !

That is an amazing story. Utterly astonishing.

BTW I live two towns away from Stow, MA, drive through it every day on my way to and from work, and have never seen any of the Collings Foundation a/c flying around here. They store them somewhere else?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Well…some things are just not meant to be…at least not today.  Being a weekday and what not, we couldn’t get enough people to sign up to take a hop.  They need six minimum to make it economical.  The wife and I took the day off and still partook in the tours of both aircraft.  Still amazing to see!  I am going to try to catch them in October when they return to the area. Schedule indicates that the B-25 will be on hand then as well.  That should make my decision even more difficult.  The appeal of riding in the only airworthy B-24 is pretty tremendous, especially after reading Ambrose’s book the Wild Blue.  On the other hand, my grandfather who passed away 15 years ago, piloted B-25’s from Australia during the war.  My sense of family pride and nostalgia will most likely win the day.

Anyway, here a couple more photos from today for those who are interested…

Me with Nine o Nine

Me with Witchcraft

Wore my Squadron JDAM “Shock & Awe” T-Shirt today.  Thought it was appropriate…Today’s Shock & Awe with the original Shock & Awe.

Wife “Wo-Manning” the .50cal

…and lastly, my favorite photo of the day…

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#44]
For $400 I would hope they let you run a belt through the Ma Duece...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I took a hop in Witchcraft this spring from Yakima Washington to Bremerton! It was amazing! We went over the mountains at 10,500 feet in zero visability (fog). It's pretty freaky sticking your head out of the side of a B-24 at that elevation when all you can see is the wing!

And you know I hate you, you and all your Enfields.  

Me, in the waist gun position of Dragon and His Tail at Tumwater WA airshow (my grandfather was a radio operator and right waist gunner in a B24)

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#46]
The Confedy Air Force made a stop here in Sioux City, IA and I spent the $$$ to get up B-17 warbird for about a 45 minute fly about.  Talk about an awesome flight.  I could almost picture my G'pa knet down on one knee beside me telling me about the different aspects of the flight during the flight.  It was an awesome experience.

My G'pa flew the B-24 in combat early in the PTO theature in WWII , but he also had about %20 of his hours in a B-17 in non-combat situations.  He loved flying the B-17 as he said it was a "much more forgiving bord, but the B-24 was the real Hell raiser."  

{S} to all the folks responsible for upkeeping them wonderful peices of history.    Thanks.

DONATE when you can.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

And you know I hate you, you and all your Enfields.  

Me, in the waist gun position of Dragon and His Tail at Tumwater WA airshow (my grandfather was a radio operator and right waist gunner in a B24)

Well you know... Since my FIL flipped for a plane sponsership, we take a hop everytime they are in Washington... If you happen to be up here when they are, give me a shout and you can have my seat!

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#48]
If it was my cash, I would ride in the B17. However, money would not be wasted on a ride in a B24.

B17>B24>anything else you might spend $400 on.

Go for it, or you WILL regret it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Apparently "Diamond 'Lil" is really a LB-30 / C-87 and not a true B-24 (personally I feel this is picking serious nits though), and Strawberry Bitch is on static display.

Therefore Witchcraft is the last flyable B-24 in many peoples eyes.

Cheers,
Chris

+1, but regardless the designation, they are of the correct type, and they ain't makin' new ones. At some point, the maintenance and liability issues involved in keeping these warriors airworthy will ground them forever. Fly in them if you have the chance! I'm waiting for the B-17 ride!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Do it... and pay extra for stick time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top